Virginia Tech Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
This is so tragic! Now over 30 reported dead and almost as many injured. My heart goes out to the friends and families of all those involved.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
This is getting ridiculous. Too many kids are getting the idea that shooting as many people as they can is a way out of depression.
edit: although I just read that they're not sure who the shooter was yet

This recent wave started at Columbine and that has been giving kids the idea.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
33 dead is the official count. It includes the shooter who remains unidentified.

There were 2 locations at 2 different times. They are unsure if they are related.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
So very, very sad. Thoughts & prayers go out to the families and friends of the students. I just cannot comprehend how anyone could shoot close to 60 people in cold blood. How much hate can one person have?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I couldn't stop checking CNN all day for updates. This is truly tragic, and my thoughts go out to the victims, families, and community.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I'll say one thing, I think there's something truly wrong with the mindset of Americans.

RIP To those lost. Unfortunate that LEOs weren't able to get rounds on target in time.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll say one thing, I think there's something truly wrong with the mindset of Americans.

it's an ill wind that's blowing in America

but most of us can't feel it

and most of us run to place blame on anything other than ourselves

watch how the Media will now glorify this incident, can you say Joe Camel? it's the exact same mentality, except it's Joe-pissed off

~S~

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
media reports have the suspect as a Chinese national in the US on a Visa. I am not sure that "American sociey" is to blame quite yet.

Summit

Critical Crazy
23 y/o M South Korean studying on a visa

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It was just released that the shooter, Cho Seung-Hui, was here on a student visa from South Korea.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I don't see how "America" is at fault.

Some are blaming a lack of gun control but how do you stop someone who is willing to die in the process of killing others. 19 men killed 3000 with nothing more than small knives & boxcutters. The 2 kids at Columbine had made bombs in addition to having guns.

Some are blaming video games. We have no way of knowing if this kid played video games or not. If he did we have no way of knowing if he played the violent ones. Ill tell you not once did I believe in fighting in a martial arts tournement using fireballs and upside down, gravity defying, hurricane kicks against a werewolf who knows kung fu and robotic ninjas.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
How so? How could you possibly turn this around on Americans? Where's your pride?

I feared that someone would mistake my comment as me blaming this event on the american populace.

What happened at VA Tech was beyond the control of everyone and every procedure and law that has been enacted by the US government. There is simply no way for the government to be able to prevent such illogical acts.
Gun control laws have done nothing but keep firearms out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. Murderers, gang members and thieves don't sit there saying "oh gosh darnit, I can't get my piece until I file a 43-11 with my local police department, guess I'll have to find a more legitimate way to earn my bread" Gun laws in this case have done nothing if not made the situation worse. Had one, maybe even two students on campus been allowed to hold their CCW right on campus, then MAYBE this would have been ended sooner. In active shooter situations, frontsights need to be on target AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, regardless of who's. As stated before, gun control only keeps the guns away from the good people.VA Tech was a gun-free zone, which meant that the safety of the 20,000+ student and staff body was ENTIRELY in the hands of a few VA Tech PD.
Campus Police departments are ill-equipped to handle situations of this magnitude. They are not given adequate training to handle situations such as this. I have worked in conjunction with one of the most well funded collegiate police departments in the Northeast and have found that they still remained an ineffective policing force. As with any department, officers were not granted adequate amounts of range time, nor were they sent to private training companies to train for situations such as this and liked the mindset.

Am I the only one who has seen the united states populaces' atitude shift towards an atitude of entrusting their well being solely in law enforcement and the government and no longer on a personal level.

Am I the only one who when faced with a situation where my life is going to be taken from me, will act regardless of the consequences? In a situation such as this event, you can bet your *** I will be the first up with my HAK hoping to go down fighting. I believe it is my duty as a resident of this nation to be willing to sacrifice my own life in the hopes to preserve the life of another American. Am I some militia member, gun toting idiot? No!
We are AMERICA, what has led to us becoming so submissive? We have turned into a flock of livestock due to guidelines which are carved into our minds.
This is the mindset I speak of.
Our government and law enforcement CANNOT ensure our safety at every waking moment. In situations where time means lives, only immediate action can make a difference.
Passengers of American Airlines Flight 93 are the greatest americans of this century in my eyes. These men and women, though knowingly doomed refused to stay submissive to the hijackers and decided to take it into their own hands. The lines "Are you guys ready? Let's roll" will forever be the words of heroes.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Passanger on Flight 93 had 1 advantage other flights didn't. They knew other planes had crashed. Callers from the plane were notified of the WTC and Pentagon suicide missions. This was due to a 45 minute delay at Newark which is usual if you ever flew out of there. Some passangers on flight 77 thought about a takeover and mentioned it to people they called. It never occured though.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Passanger on Flight 93 had 1 advantage other flights didn't. They knew other planes had crashed. Callers from the plane were notified of the WTC and Pentagon suicide missions. This was due to a 45 minute delay at Newark which is usual if you ever flew out of there. Some passangers on flight 77 thought about a takeover and mentioned it to people they called. It never occured though.

If I remember correctly, the delay was due to Flight 93 being late at takeoff. My aim was not to downplay the heroism of the victims lost on Flight 175, Flight 11 and Flight 77.

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Wolf, sheep or sheepdog? Which one are you?

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
Sad sad news. Over here in Argentina all news channels have been showing what happenned in VA Tech. In my opinion what is even sadder is that this is not a first and probably won't be the last one.

Though the US society suffers these kind of situations before others and in a major scale, it is a problem that all "western" culture countries face these days. Looking for a scapegoat (foreigners on visas, the society's decay, NRA and guns...) not only won't solve anything but will create new conflicts.

I truly believe that we shouldn't ignore the motives that led those individuals to do what they did. Many of those motives are the cause of depression of too many people. This, of course doesn't justify by any means those criminal actions.

Peace is possible as long as it starts in each individual. An individual who is in peace with him/herself, content, happy, etc. will be able to project that to others. Those individuals that are not strong enough and are not able to achieve that by themselves shouldn't be ignored by the rest of us, they should be assisted by us.

Let's not be indifferent to the real issues and act differently than those who under pressure react so wrongly as those criminals.

About the 9-11 incidents, flight 93 among them, shouldn't be mixed or compared with this other type of incidents. One is a FFOp and the other one is the result of a disturbed weak and coward person.

My condolence to all those affected by the shootings at Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

Guri

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Wolf, sheep or sheepdog? Which one are you?
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the question.

About the 9-11 incidents, flight 93 among them, shouldn't be mixed or compared with this other type of incidents. One is a FFOp and the other one is the result of a disturbed weak and coward person.
I am simply using the passengers of Flight 93 as an example of Americans who refused to surrender to a threat, regardless of their own personal outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.