Violence towards EMS

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Saw this clip online, and it really made me think.
I look at so many others in EMS and I can't help but think how helpless they would be in this type of situation. Not only that but how out of shape they are, how oblivious they are to the threat, and how little they are backed by law and company when these events do happen.

It's sad that we have to live in this kind of world where we make pennies compared to others, yet are faced with the same dangerous people and scenarios as they are.

I do everything I can to mitigate such risks, and I never trust a patient or a parent. If I sense anything sketchy I check pockets, restrain, sedate, etc. I'm also not afraid to defend myself and my partner and I'm ready to roll at the drop of a dime.

Be aware and alert. Stay frosty.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@SandpitMedic I can't view the video. i'm on my phone though maybe thats it?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I can't see the video either but I'm assuming it's the new video DT4EMS put out on Facebook?

Sad to watch but also very surprising to me. I was shocked on how many crews let their partner get assaulted without really trying to intervene aside from maybe yelling.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Sad to watch but also very surprising to me. I was shocked on how many crews let their partner get assaulted without really trying to intervene aside from maybe yelling.
That is one thing that will piss me off quick. The only time I've ever had anything with potential spark up (that we weren't expecting) was because our patient was yelling at my partner for something she had no involvement in since she hardly even had to interact with him. Probably could have handled it a bit better, I definitely was not very nice with my choice of words, but that kind of behavior towards my partner is one of my few things I don't tolerate well.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser