VHF Portable

Forum Probie
I am looking for a VHF prtable radio with charger and preferably programming cable as well. My squad allows line officers to own and use them but we simply dont have enough portables laying around and our 966 grant was denied for new radios because we are going to switch systems in a couple years. So my captain told me to buy a used radio that will work on the system. our freq for ems 1 is 155.205 and i believe this is vhf but tell me if i am wrong.

Scott

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
VHF radios are all over eBay. If you want a Motorola radio, it's a bit of a process to legally obtain the software, and it's pretty expensive. Other brand radios have less expensive software if you want to program yourself, but I'm just a Motorola fan.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
VHF radios are all over eBay. If you want a Motorola radio, it's a bit of a process to legally obtain the software, and it's pretty expensive. Other brand radios have less expensive software if you want to program yourself, but I'm just a Motorola fan.

If you just need a quick down and dirty radio, Woxuon and the like are decent for under $100.

Othwerwise, I'd suggest an Kenwood TK-290. The 90 series radios are true workhorses and won't break when you drop it, like many of the lighter "commercial" radios that aren't speced for public service.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
you can get a reasonably priced Motorola MTX-2500 on ebay. it is one of the best (IMO) public safety radios on the market. and it is front side programmable so you don't have to buy the software.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I am looking for a VHF prtable radio with charger and preferably programming cable as well. My squad allows line officers to own and use them but we simply dont have enough portables laying around and our 966 grant was denied for new radios because we are going to switch systems in a couple years. So my captain told me to buy a used radio that will work on the system. our freq for ems 1 is 155.205 and i believe this is vhf but tell me if i am wrong.

Scott
Scott: Yes, EMS1 is on the vhf bandwidth, so if you want to buy a radio, that will be one to get.

that all being said, if your squad should be giving you a radio. not telling you to go buy your own, especially if the radio won't work in a couple of years.

if I were you, I would want my squad to purchase the radio and lose the $100-800 when the system gets changed and it becomes useless. having them tell you to spend your own money on something that won't work in a couple of years just sounds like a poor decision on your part

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

You'll need a narrowband complaint radio and the software to program it. It's a large expense. If you're really set on buying your own radio, ask around and see what everyone else is using.

OP
OP

Forum Probie
You'll need a narrowband complaint radio and the software to program it. It's a large expense. If you're really set on buying your own radio, ask around and see what everyone else is using.

I just purchased a ht1000 and the programming cable. i have a computer with a serial port, and all the software. I just need to learn the software now so i know how to program it. maybe one of the other members who has an ht1000 will let me clone his.

OP
OP

Forum Probie
Thank you

Thankyou everyone for your feed back. sorry i didnt reply sooner i have been away for a few days and hadnt checked the forum. Thanks again guys as always great responces.

18G

Paramedic
If you just need a quick down and dirty radio, Woxuon and the like are decent for under $100.

Othwerwise, I'd suggest an Kenwood TK-290. The 90 series radios are true workhorses and won't break when you drop it, like many of the lighter "commercial" radios that aren't speced for public service.

I was just going to suggest the Wouxun radios too. I own a dual-band Wouxun and while decent for price, it's not the most durable. I think for EMS it would hold up for a bit. I did see though that a newer version came out that is now water-proof to like 3 feet. So they may have made the radio a bit more durable.

I know you already purchased a radio but definitely worth checking out for the price and programmability for future reference or if others in your department are in need of a radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I was just going to suggest the Wouxun radios too. I own a dual-band Wouxun and while decent for price, it's not the most durable. I think for EMS it would hold up for a bit. I did see though that a newer version came out that is now water-proof to like 3 feet. So they may have made the radio a bit more durable.

I know you already purchased a radio but definitely worth checking out for the price and programmability for future reference or if others in your department are in need of a radio.

The private service I worked for used Kenwood radios that sucked. Crummy battery life and years of abuse and neglect made the radios unreliable. I bought a Weirewei VHF radio (same as the Wouxun) with a speaker mic and extra battery for $120. I used it at work and it performed like a champ. I had all the work freqs and some 2 meter ham stuff programmed as well. Plus, it did 2 tone alerting and DPL, both stuff I needed. I don't think I'd take it into a structure fire, but for EMS work, living in the radio pocket of my jacket, it did just fine.

18G

Paramedic
Thanks for mentioning about Weirewei radios. I checked em out and may end up getting one eventually.