Versed For Sz

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember, all benzo's are acting as a muscle relaxant. and truly are not interfering with the true seizure activity. It is only "masking" seizure activity and preventing severe muscular contractions and potential danger to patients hemodynamic and respiratory system.

Anticonvulsants and seizure medications such as Dilantin, Cerebyx, Phenobarb. is truly for the seizure activity. I was employed at an EMS where the protocol for those that was under Dilantin therapy, was to administer Dilantin in prehospital setting after obtaining sample for Dilantin level.

To answer your question, Valium is Valium and both desired effects is relaxation of the muscles. Valium is not a psychotropic medication, rather the side effect is sedation. Yes, I would first attempt to administer an alternative medication or potential different route. There is time, when one has multiple seizure(s) non-status that I may administer Diazepam I.M. due to the increased length and duration of the medication, so I do not have to continually medicate. Remembering, this may hamper neuro examinations... so a pertinent history and detailed examination is essential.

R/r 911

medic3

Forum Ride Along
Remember, all benzo's are acting as a muscle relaxant. and truly are not interfering with the true seizure activity. It is only "masking" seizure activity and preventing severe muscular contractions and potential danger to patients hemodynamic and respiratory system.

As I stated in an earlier post..."Versed potentiates the effects of GABA @ GABA receptors. When GABA receptors are activated, it promotes an influx of Cl- ions, therfore causing hyperpolarization of the membrane, thus increasing membrane threshold potential, and stabalizing the membrane...hence the seizure stops." So benzo's DO stop the seizure activity in the brain, not just the muscular contractions.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually it is GABA(a) :D such as the same effects from Ketamine.

R/r 911

natrab

Forum Crew Member
We stopped carrying Valium a while ago. When we had it as our front line drug for seizures, it would usually kick in and sedate the patient at about the same time as we arrived at the hospital. It also cost more and expired faster than versed. The only time I've seen valium stop seizure activity quickly is in peds patients with 5mg administered rectally.

Now we have versed and only versed. We carry 8mg total, and administer 1-2mg for seizure activity. I haven't had a patient who didn't go down from 2mg yet. Only problem I've seen is the occasional loss of respiratory drive usually lasting less than a minute. We just keep a BVM and some bls airways handy when administering versed.