Using in car GPS

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
This is interesting, the law says yes here in Ohio too. But at night and on the highway most go without siren unless there's traffic around. Our SOPs state that audibles must be used but may be turned off when there is no traffic around at the discretion of the Officer In Charge (who is the guy operating the siren, remember, the driver should not be the one operating the lights and sirens!). It's nice at night since our station is in the middle of a neighborhood (I mean in the MIDDLE of one, we have residences on all sides of our firehouse and to get to the main road we have to drive about a half mile through the neighbourhood) and that means we don't wake up half the neighbourhood just trying to get to the main street.

We usually kill the siren, night or day, when we get into a neighborhood, out of curtosy and also to prevent too many looky-loos from coming to see what all the hubbub is about. But when the siren is off, you are suppose to abide by all the traffic laws, so no rolling through stop signs or going faster than 25mph.

But this guy wanted to do it on the main roads, with cars on it or not. I'm sorry, but that's just not happening when I'm driving and my certifications are at stake.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
We usually kill the siren, night or day, when we get into a neighborhood, out of curtosy and also to prevent too many looky-loos from coming to see what all the hubbub is about. But when the siren is off, you are suppose to abide by all the traffic laws, so no rolling through stop signs or going faster than 25mph.

But this guy wanted to do it on the main roads, with cars on it or not. I'm sorry, but that's just not happening when I'm driving and my certifications are at stake.

Yeah I can't see why you would want to turn off the siren with cars on the road. When I was working in a more urban area I would leave the siren on the whole way except for when I was on the highway and traffic was moving fine. You outdrive your sirens at that speed anyway and it just confuses people when they pass you and your siren is on!

It's interesting though. We don't have EVOC licenses in Ohio, driving is about 3 hours out of the EMT training course with additional classes avaliable as CEUs, but if you were caught would it be your fault? Technically, the driver is not supposed to be the one operating the siren if there are two guys in the cab. The driver watches the road, lights and sirens (along with radio and navigation) are the job of the passenger.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
You know what we need on the IFT side? Considering how big and complex these hospitals are, an on stretcher GPS for navigating the hospials! Dang!

HA! Best idea I have heard in a long time!:p lol

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Gps works right 95% of the time. and have map to back it up.

I always turn off siren and lights once i pull into street or close street to address.

I only use siren at night if approaching busy intersection.