Useful Personal Equipment?

CoffeeInThatNebula

Forum Probie
Hi there, I actually am currently in an EMT course right now and am going to be applying to the local volunteer rescue squad soon. I realize there are already threads on personal equipment but I didn't want to dig up an old post and some of my questions are pretty specific.

First off, I know that I shouldn't take too much with me as far as personal equipment, but on the other hand I know that some stuff would probably be handy. I already plan on buying a cheap headlamp in addition to a regular flashlight. I don't care if I look goofy. I live on the east coast and currently it can get very nippy so any suggestions on undershirts, coats, etc. are appreciated.

Is there anything else that would be handy to have? I plan on getting safety glasses with my prescription, hope that's not stupid. I'm a little hesitant to carry my phone with me in case a really heavy patient somehow lands on me or it gets covered in bodily fluids. Are earrings unwise to wear? Oh, and one thing that's been giving me a difficult time is a search for a watch.

I have these extremely tiny, bony little wrists, like even for a gal. I've tried to buy a cheapo watch but it's either too tight and rubs up against bone or if I loosen it just a bit, it makes several revolutions before sliding down my wrist. I've tried leather, rubber, metal and velcro straps with no avail. So far I can't find anything especially comfy, small or something that has a second hand.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Since flashlights are to me what beanie babies are to some other people, this part's in my lane :p

If the rescue squad is issuing you a helmet, I'd checkout the Surefire g2 or g3 fyl with the helmet mount, but turn it off when you're not working on extrication, the last thing a patient wants is a bright *** light in their face. In all likelihood you probably won't even need this as the BRTs often have enough lighting for a football stadium on 'em. But flashaholism is a serious disease, I can't help but spread it :p

Unless you're absolutely useless without your glasses and contacts aren't a viable option, I ditch Rx safety glasses.

Have you been trying el-cheapo watches (which I usually would reccomend)? See if you can't find a casio G-shock. Mine looks like it slips all the way down to fit a 5" wrist (my index and middle finger are bigger around than that).

OP
OP
CoffeeInThatNebula

CoffeeInThatNebula

Forum Probie
Since flashlights are to me what beanie babies are to some other people, this part's in my lane :p

If the rescue squad is issuing you a helmet, I'd checkout the Surefire g2 or g3 fyl with the helmet mount, but turn it off when you're not working on extrication, the last thing a patient wants is a bright *** light in their face. In all likelihood you probably won't even need this as the BRTs often have enough lighting for a football stadium on 'em. But flashaholism is a serious disease, I can't help but spread it :p

Unless you're absolutely useless without your glasses and contacts aren't a viable option, I ditch Rx safety glasses.

Have you been trying el-cheapo watches (which I usually would reccomend)? See if you can't find a casio G-shock. Mine looks like it slips all the way down to fit a 5" wrist (my index and middle finger are bigger around than that).

My current watch is a $10 velcro strap watch from Walmart. I wanted a G-shock I saw online, but the actual store didn't sell it for some reason. :sad:

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
For the watch situation, you can always put it around your belt loop. so you hold the wrist with one hand to ascultate the pulse, and in the other hand you can hold the watch straight up and see the second hand.

Under Armor is good to stay warm in, and it's not too big and bulky.

Not sure about headlamps though, I've never needed one :unsure:

Good luck!

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
any suggestions on undershirts, coats, etc. are appreciated.

UnderArmor clothes are very nice and cozy, although expensive... worth their wieght. Its mostly personal preference... I don't like sleeves on anything. I even roll up my jacket sleeves to the elbows

I plan on getting safety glasses with my prescription, hope that's not stupid.
Nope
I'm a little hesitant to carry my phone with me in case a really heavy patient somehow lands on me or it gets covered in bodily fluids.
Get a belt holder, and wear a gown in those special moments. Its very good ( and safe ) to have a phone on you these days. Plus, if you have an insurance plan... its easy replace and the info.
Are earrings unwise to wear?
Low profile ones are usually not a prob. Some places won't allow jewelry for safety reasons.
So far I can't find anything especially comfy, small or something that has a second hand.

Novelty dollar store ones work fine for lots of folks. There are even little ones that clamp onto your stethoscope, or stick anywhere. Welcome to the world of disposable

Invest in a good small pocket penlight ( tough and rugged one), that will prove more useful than about anything else you own.

Good luck!

OP
OP
CoffeeInThatNebula

CoffeeInThatNebula

Forum Probie
The StreamLight Stylus is a great little light to carry. Fits nicely in the side pocket of EMS pants with a pen and is very bright. I've had more than a few people try to "acquire" it :)

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=72

Aww man...I was at a police supply store the other day that had those. The only reason I didn't get one was because my dad was in a hurry.

Novelty dollar store ones work fine for lots of folks. There are even little ones that clamp onto your stethoscope, or stick anywhere. Welcome to the world of disposable

I don't know if the dollar store ones are going to be much better if I already can't handle the $10 one from Walmart. Can anyone point me in a good direction to those ones that stick anywhere? I haven't seen those yet!

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
1.See if the dept. will get you a dept. jacket.

2.Can you get contacts? Get em.

3.Carry your phone at all times!

4.Earrings are bad to wear especially if a psych pt. wants to grab at the shiny objects on your ears.

OP
OP
CoffeeInThatNebula

CoffeeInThatNebula

Forum Probie
1.See if the dept. will get you a dept. jacket.

2.Can you get contacts? Get em.

3.Carry your phone at all times!

4.Earrings are bad to wear especially if a psych pt. wants to grab at the shiny objects on your ears.

You've got a point with the earrings. My eyes are pretty sensitive though I do have contacts. I don't really like to wear them all that often since I always get headaches after wearing them. Also, I am hoping on that dept. jacket.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I plan on getting safety glasses with my prescription, hope that's not stupid.

Why not just get safety glasses that fit over your regular glasses? The entire point of safety glasses is that they are damaged or destroyed instead of your eyes. How much are you willing to pay if your safety glasses gets a scratch in a way that forces them to be replaced?

OP
OP
CoffeeInThatNebula

CoffeeInThatNebula

Forum Probie
Why not just get safety glasses that fit over your regular glasses? The entire point of safety glasses is that they are damaged or destroyed instead of your eyes. How much are you willing to pay if your safety glasses gets a scratch in a way that forces them to be replaced?

THEY HAVE THOSE?!

In other news, are watches not difficult to read even without a backlight? I'm eying a really cheap (non-ridiculous looking) jelly watch. I've never tried one of those on my wrist before...

cmetalbend

Forum Crew Member
IMAO a good L.E.D penlight will go a heck of a long way. The ones I use are made be energizer and cost 3$ at the local walmart. Very durable, dropped em on concrete several times. The only drawback is the plastic clip looks weak, althought I have never broken one yet. Lights with clips will go in and out of EMT pants easier. I have yet to find a Watch with a backlight display that will stay on long enough to be any use. I also carry a vide range of knifes, but only one at a time. Head lights can be useful to you, but annoy people who you look at. Out side a burning building anyway. Under Amor is good stuff, lightweight, and durable.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
IMAO a good L.E.D penlight will go a heck of a long way. The ones I use are made be energizer and cost 3$ at the local walmart. Very durable, dropped em on concrete several times. The only drawback is the plastic clip looks weak, althought I have never broken one yet. Lights with clips will go in and out of EMT pants easier. I have yet to find a Watch with a backlight display that will stay on long enough to be any use. I also carry a vide range of knifes, but only one at a time. Head lights can be useful to you, but annoy people who you look at. Out side a burning building anyway. Under Amor is good stuff, lightweight, and durable.

Sounds like the Rayovac LED penlights are the ones you're talking about. I've been using the same one for 2 years now and it's still in one piece

cmetalbend

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like the Rayovac LED penlights are the ones you're talking about. I've been using the same one for 2 years now and it's still in one piece

I checked, your right Rayovac. My bad:wacko:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I checked, your right Rayovac. My bad:wacko:

Lol only reason I know is I pulled the one out of my pocket (I'm at work right now) to check :p No worries

cmetalbend

Forum Crew Member
Mine was in my trauma kit, in my truck, I wanted to make sure I had stated the right info, cause it is one of the most valuable tools. I once left mine on in my pocket and a buddie pointed out my pants were glowing. lol

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
I'm a big fan of multi-tools. Carried the same Gerber for years when I worked full time as an EMT.You'd be amazed at the problems you can fix with one. People included, makes a great fistload.;)

OP
OP
CoffeeInThatNebula

CoffeeInThatNebula

Forum Probie
I'm a big fan of multi-tools. Carried the same Gerber for years when I worked full time as an EMT.You'd be amazed at the problems you can fix with one. People included, makes a great fistload.;)

As far as the rayovac, I'll probably grab one of those. As far as multitools, what should I look for in one? I currently have a Leatherman Squirt with tiny scissors, two sizes of screwdrivers, a nail file, small knife, and smaller pliers. I had originally gotten it because I worked for Geek Squad. I still work on computers, but I'm guessing tiny multitools wouldn't be such a great idea? Are there any specific multitools you can recommend?