Urgent Care Centers?

Caspar

Forum Crew Member
Has anyone ever worked in a urgent care health center as an EMT? Are EMT's even allowed to work in these places?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Urgent cares in nm hire emts amd medics to work, and usually its full scope plus some. They function under the md as a separate but equal tier to the rns and cnas

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've been trying ti score a part time gig at one for a while

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Usually where I live they hire PCEs aka "Patient Care Extenders" or ED Techs. Only if you have EMT-B or CNA experience. Sometimes that is what they prefer. My local hospital just opened up an urgency center and they have the PCEs that work under their medical director or under the supervision of RN, LPN, RT and PA.

Drax

Forum Captain
Usually where I live they hire PCEs aka "Patient Care Extenders" or ED Techs. Only if you have EMT-B or CNA experience. Sometimes that is what they prefer. My local hospital just opened up an urgency center and they have the PCEs that work under their medical director or under the supervision of RN, LPN, RT and PA.

Most of these types of places here require you to have a CNA/NA-C but prefer you to additionally be EMT-B.

Can't see myself going for CNA after already getting EMT.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I was a CNA once, it was ok; but being underpaid for what the duties CNAs had to go through. That's why I stepped it up a few notches to become an EMT-B.

OP
OP
C

Caspar

Forum Crew Member
Is it the same deal for free health clinics? I'm having trouble finding ambulance companies that are hiring so I'm looking elsewhere for jobs/volunteer opportunities to use my skills.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I work in an ED here in Austin, and the specific requirement was EMT-B. The same system hires Paramedics to operate as Paramedics but in the ED. The way I've seen it in this area is that on the floors you need to have your EMT or CNA, and the EDs require EMT-B, all else being a plus. I'll tell you what though, being an ER Tech is much more enjoyable than being a tech on one of the floors.

I had no luck getting an ER job with no experience specific to being an EMT. I settled with a BS IFT job for a few weeks and reupped my resume, and that did the trick.

Edit: Oh, and at least around here, the pay is just a tad higher than being on a truck (EMT and Paramedic).