Urban v. Suburban

Dearing Baymiller

Forum Probie
guys i'm just starting my schooling, but let me tell you this has been a fascinating thread, especially in the informal education areas.
thanks for being so candid.

dave

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
guys i'm just starting my schooling, but let me tell you this has been a fascinating thread, especially in the informal education areas.
thanks for being so candid.

dave

Good luck with everything. Despite the negative spin we put on the field on occasion, it can be a rewarding career. Just realize that the average EMS job is not like Third Watch. It is mostly public service, with the opportunity to use your skills to change an otherwise poor pt outcome occasionally. When I was in medic school, my instructor spoke of the 80/16/4 rule. 80% of pts are not in any acute distress, and are able to be transported to their PCP or the ED under their own power, with no risk of deterioration involved. 16% of pts are in legitimate need of 911 ambulance txp to an ED, but aren't likely to expire or suffer irreversible harm at the present moment. The other 4% are those that are circling the drain. I've found this to be fairly accurate in my experience on the 911 side. You'll likely begin working interfacility txp out of school, if not volunteering for a 911 rescue company. The majority of you pts will be elderly, and need ambulance txp due to profound weakness, mental illness, O2 therapy, and such. It's not sexy, but it's a necessary function. Many of us also have a dark, warped sense of humor, and are "A" type personalities. If you have thick skin, the ability to handle repeated stressors well, are willing to work all hours including weekends and holidays, and have enough integrity to not throw your partner under the bus at every opportunity, you'll be fine.