unknown domestic

would you press charges on this guy?

• YES

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would have kicked the crap out of him and called a second unit to take him to the hospital

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well it appears it is only a local thing. Your the only member here that appears to use it. As mentioned very few has even heard of such. I teach and lecture nationally, I too as well have never heard of such.

That's very interesting. Yes then, I guess my state is adopting its own abbreviations. I thought it was a generational thing as opposed to regional, but now I know it's not the norm. Again, interesting. Makes me wonder what other terminology may be different.

That's very interesting. Yes then, I guess my state is adopting its own abbreviations. I thought it was a generational thing as opposed to regional, but now I know it's not the norm. Again, interesting. Makes me wonder what other terminology may be different.

Not all of your hosptials are either. I do read the articles from the University of Michigan and have attended some of their educational programs since they are a leader in ECMO and have great transport teams of different specialties.

Not all of your hosptials are either. I do read the articles from the University of Michigan and have attended some of their educational programs since they are a leader in ECMO and have great transport teams of different specialties.

Amen to that. The University of Michigan is an incredible medical system.

That being said, they may not be using the terminology in their journals (although, that surprises me), but every bit of paperwork we receive and send to the hospital favors DIB over SOB. I have never seen SOB during my time in EMS, and have only heard it in stories of how it went out of style. Whether Ann Arbor, Detroit, or Flint. Always DIB. I really had no idea SOB was still so widely used.

Amen to that. The University of Michigan is an incredible medical system.

That being said, they may not be using the terminology in their journals (although, that surprises me), but every bit of paperwork we receive and send to the hospital favors DIB over SOB. I have never seen SOB during my time in EMS, and have only heard it in stories of how it went out of style. Whether Ann Arbor, Detroit, or Flint. Always DIB. I really had no idea SOB was still so widely used.

If they are a hospital, they use the medical coding standards which are national. DIB is not in there. SOB and DOE are. DOE is used by medical professionals for evaluation and diagnostics.

We also have SOB scoring for respiratory patients.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/research/vnssob.html

http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/128/6/3799

Some respiratory patients may be very aware of their scores if they have had pulmonary rehab.

Also, in areas where there are many different languages, shortness of breath is easier to translate.

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/research/vnssobesp.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are a hospital, they use the medical coding standards which are national. DIB is not in there. SOB and DOE are. DOE is used by medical professionals for evaluation and diagnostics.

Included: Children aged 2-59 months with cough and DIB, classified as “non-severe pneumonia” according to WHO guidelines. Must live within municipal limits of urban region or within walking distance in rural regions. Exclusions: underlying chronic illness, history of 3 or more episodes of wheeze or acute asthma, antibiotic use in the previous 48 hrs.

http://www.med.umich.edu/pediatrics/ebm/cats/amoxicillin.htm

The two groups were similar with respect to age, sex, race, height, weight, temperature, presence and duration of DIB and wheezing, HR, RR, pulse ox, and baseline FEV1.

http://www.med.umich.edu/pediatrics/ebm/cats/magnesium.htm

Again, everything I've seen in Michigan has been DIB. DIB is how I was taught in every location in Michigan. You claim that SOB is so present (even in my own state), but everything I've seen suggests otherwise.

To be fair though, there's also http://www.med.umich.edu/gulfwarhealth/servicemember/myhealth/symptoms/breath.htm

What I'm curious of are the dates of when these pages were posted. I really think this has a lot to do with time. DIB is new.

It is not a new term. It was started almost 20 years ago. It was only isolated to a few EMS agencies.

One article does not mean your whole state or everyone in it is using that abbreviation.

If you google up SOB you may find many articles.

It is not a new term. It was started almost 20 years ago. It was only isolated to a few EMS agencies.

One article does not mean your whole state or everyone in it is using that abbreviation.

If you google up SOB you may find many articles.

You mentioned the University of Michigan. As such, I simply linked two articles from the University of Michigan - both of which used the term DIB instead of SOB. Therefore, I stick by my claim that this is a term widely accepted and recently adopted by much of the state. Well, at least, the lower peninsula. I support that with my experiences of encountering that term in every area of Michigan I spent time in (and they sent us all over).

Apparently it has been isolated. Just turns out that Michigan seems to be one of the areas it was isolated to.

Wow! 2 articles!

Have you ever been to U of M? It is really big! Lots of medical articles written by lots of different people.

How long have you been a Paramedic? How many places have you worked? What journals do you read? How familar are you with national standards for JCAHO and medical coding?

You can google anything you want on the internet but some still have to abide by set standards that are mandated by regulating agencies at the national level.

just for the record to distinguish myself, im not hating on the term or those that use it. just never heard it.

Have you ever been to U of M? It is really big! Lots of medical articles written by lots of different people.

How long have you been a Paramedic? How many places have you worked? What journals do you read? How familar are you with national standards for JCAHO and medical coding?

You can google anything you want on the internet but some still have to abide by set standards that are mandated by regulating agencies at the national level.

Wow, a lot of questions.

Yes, I've been to U of M. As a student, as a patient, as a family member, and as a Paramedic. Often. We do transfers there occasionally too. The place to be if you need maxillofacial surgery, I tell ya. And yes, it is big. It's like an entire city in one building. I spend much of my time in the ER, where I have learned of this term called DIB (well, I learned it elsewhere; I just hear/see it a lot there).

During medic school, I was sent as far west as Kalamazoo, as far south as Illinois, as north as Traverse City, and as far east as Detroit. During my visit of each location, DIB was the term used to describe any case of difficulty breathing in oral or written reports. While I'm sure there are people who use SOB, I had never once interacted with anyone who used the term. And that would be in a time period of 2 years now. Also, I am apparently not familiar with National standards, as at the time of my original comment, I was under the impression the term SOB was a term of the past, long since replaced by DIB throughout the entire country. DIB is the way I was taught, the way I do it, and no one has ever even hinted that it was incorrect in any manner until this moment. It has held up in normal business matters, and it has held up in court. I feel confident in continuing to state that DIB is a very acceptable term in the medical community here, and it is the preferred term in every agency I have come into contact with thus far.

I can't really say much more on the subject.

I showed you the CDC reports. I told you about medical coding. Rid has added his expertise.

If you read a lot of EMS reports you will find people make up terms as they go along. I'm sure if you say so, your agency probably does recognize DIB. In my area of experience (Florida and California) we would take that to be "dead in bed" and file your report to the back of the chart.

offtopic1.gif

Can we get back on topic please? If you want to discuss abbreviations and medical terminology, then start another thread.

Back