Unions for EMS

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Only reason I took the medic upgrade was because beating my co-workers on the competitive exam for starters was a joke, and so I can work for a volly fire department as a paid paramedic when I make fire.

There is NO incentive to work EMS in NYC unless you TRULY love love love what you do or have no ambition in life.

The second I get a letter to be a firefighter im getting the heck out of there, getting a side job and getting back in the classroom.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'm not looking to start an argument!!!

I'm a union steward & think that unions are great for the workplace. I've seen good things that the union has done.

Yes.... There are some bad things, but good out weighs bad.

That's just my opinion

In my 4+ years on the job, my Union has saved my job from a Reduction in Force, and has won us step increases (pay raise) when the County had already decided not to for the third straight year. Medic $2-$3/hr riding pay has been protected as well. That's between $6k-$8k a year at stake right there. Money well spent. Now, we're participating in a NIST study that is evaluating time spent on various high rise firefighting tasks, that is expected to support upstaffing, such as having four or more on the engine and truck. As it stands, we have 4+3, and many places have only 3+3 or less.

How many EMS departments are conducting studies to show that three crew members are needed for tx/txp, the detrimental effects of lack of sleep and forced OT after a busy 24 hrs, etc? I'm guessing no one.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
There is NO incentive to work EMS in NYC unless you TRULY love love love what you do or have no ambition in life.

Very true.The money's decent for the short term if you work for a hospital, but NYC/FDNY EMS is a dead end job for the most part. You'll never get ahead in the tri-state area on an EMS salary, for sure.

Sad, but true. NYC EMS is good for a fun part time gig, though. If I was single, I would have kept my position at NS-LIJ as a per diem just for kicks. It's different when you can come and go as you please, and aren't owned by your employer.

cusadiz

Forum Probie
Union member here and will echo what's already been said; the union is a representation of what the members put into it. Not unlike our current political process - when no one stays informed or votes, things go to hell rapidly.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
While I am Pro-Union. I will echo what others have said and advise the OP to stay away from NEMSA.

NEMSA will always put NEMSA board members first and the actual field employees second.

Unfortunately in my county they have become a do-nothing Union and the process of voting them out is tied up in litigation with the NLRB. Don't worry though, NEMSA is spending $20,000 dollars a month of our union dues on lawyers to make sure they get to stay in power.

There are many, many, other examples of back door deals and shenanigans but I wont go into that here.

Just stay away from NEMSA.