Uniforms

nrmedic

Forum Ride Along
What... no BDU's?

BDU's do not promote the image of a "kinder, more gentler bureau of prisons" that the federal gov. wants to present. We have a DCT and SORT team that wear BDU's during training. They are not even allowed "behind the gate" wearing them if they need to come into the institution for some reason when they are there training. To be sure we wouldn't want to intimidate the inmates!
I happen to think our male medics look kinda cute in their scrubs though. :blush:

jeepmedic

Forum Captain

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
scrubs

I like my scrubs.

Me Too. The hospital I work for allows us to wear scrubs while working. I prefer to wear the BDUs due to all the crap I keep in my pockets, but the hospital supplies us with them too. When I'm in the hospital or on the rigs, I wear the scrub top and the bdus. I get free boots from the aviation company and my flight suits are paid for by the hospital, so when I'm flying, I just have to pay for my socks, underwear and tee shirts that I wear under. I agree though that wearing scrubs to work is great.

RMApok

Forum Probie
Eh, personally I don't think uniform appearance is that big of an issue, to a certain point. If someone doesn't have a pressed uniform, it doesn't bother me. Now, someone coming to work with a stained uniform does bother me. It's one thing not to look your absolute best, it's another to look close to your worst.

I only press mine for special events or every couple of months. Of course, where we run (transport) most of our patients aren't even fully with it and the staff at most of the facilities couldn't care less. They just want the pt gone or put back in their bed quickly.

Now, my company is usually pretty good about replacing stuff. However, I did have to wear a pair of pants with a rip in the knee for about three weeks once. I was told I could go buy the pants myself and the company would reimburse me. But as I still hadn't seen the money from the last TWO times they said they would do that, I just waited it out. Got that "disapproving" look from one of my supervisors a few times, but trucks up always takes presidence over appearance, so I never got in trouble.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
BDU's do not promote the image of a "kinder, more gentler bureau of prisons" that the federal gov. wants to present. We have a DCT and SORT team that wear BDU's during training. They are not even allowed "behind the gate" wearing them if they need to come into the institution for some reason when they are there training. To be sure we wouldn't want to intimidate the inmates!
You have GOT to be kidding me. Please tell me that the guards DON'T wear scrubs, too ;)

As for pressing uniforms... the is a difference between a pressed uniform (which looks nice, but sometimes seems VERY officious) and a clean, wrinkle-free uniform shirt... that is what I often wear.

If, as was said earlier... the shirt is worn after being balled up under the car seat... that ISN'T cool... that makes you look like a SLOB.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
First we do not have "guards" They tend to get upset about that. They are Officers and they have uniforms to wear. White shirt with a tie and gray pants. When they work up front in the public view they have to wear a blue Blazer also.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
First we do not have "guards" They tend to get upset about that. They are Officers and they have uniforms to wear. White shirt with a tie and gray pants. When they work up front in the public view they have to wear a blue Blazer also.
Whoops! Here I am, the guy who tends to be a little miffed when called a "security guard" vs. "Security Offiicer" and I go and do that. (Dumba** me)

Ties? Blazers? What is this world coming to? I guess we are going back to the 1920's (ever watch "The Green Mile"?? ;))

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
must be a private thing we get new stuff whenever we need it but cleaning is up to us. (volly service)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
must be a private thing we get new stuff whenever we need it but cleaning is up to us. (volly service)
My vollie squad will replace their issued button-down uniform shirts and straight-legged pants whenever you ask... but most of us perfer to spend $25-$30 to purchase "approved" uniform polo shirts... and I've got EMS pants out the wazoo these days.

Well, most of us don't "pay" for our shirts, we use our incentive program points instead.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
My vollie squad will replace their issued button-down uniform shirts and straight-legged pants whenever you ask... but most of us perfer to spend $25-$30 to purchase "approved" uniform polo shirts... and I've got EMS pants out the wazoo these days.

Well, most of us don't "pay" for our shirts, we use our incentive program points instead.

uniform blue button down shirt
pants
sweatshirt
polo shirt
fall jacket
winter jacket

CotWoman

Forum Crew Member
The dispatchers for fairfax county wear a grey polo shirt with ems pants. very attractive... :p

although - some of the cops walking around look good in their uniforms... *ahem* *cough*

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Are we talking "catwalk" or just "because"!^_^

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
The dispatchers for fairfax county wear a grey polo shirt with ems pants. very attractive... :p

although - some of the cops walking around look good in their uniforms... *ahem* *cough*

ah HA. Is that the only reason that you're dating a US Marine? ;-)

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I'm glad to see my department isn't the only department that has a 'pay to play' situation. With our department we are issued new uniforms about once a year (or so). However, what the uniform entails seems to be different just about every year. For the first two years I ran there the 'uniform' consisted of one shirt only. The first year they were polos (looked nice, but weren't that comfortable since they were pique (sp?)material). Pants and boots we had to purchase ourselves and we were not allowed to purchase any 'extra' shirts. The next year our 'uniform' isssue consisted of one short sleeve t-shirt and we were allowed to purchase an additional short sleeve or long sleeve t-shirt or a sweat shirt. Personally, while they looked nice, I don't think they were very professional looking. This year we're actually going with the 'cop look alike' shirts and they are buying us the 'paramedic' pants. When we got measured for them they said that they would be wash and wear, no ironing involved but we'll see. As for cleaning, we've always been responsible for our own laundering of uniforms.

This is just my personal opinion here, but I'm glad to see that we are finally getting 'real' uniforms to wear, but I really think that the department should also buy us boots and either take care of laundering for us, or at least give us a stipend to reimburse us.

Epi-do

I see dead people
While I think it would be great if our employers laundered our uniforms for us, how many other jobs out there do that? I don't really think there are that many. I do know that there are places out there that do it, but for the most part everyone I know that has any sort of job is responsible for cleaning their work clothes.

Yes, we run the risk every day of being puked on, bled on, etc., but where I work, you put those clothes in a red bag, fill out exposure paperwork, and the clothes are taken care of. (Typically they are replaced rather than cleaned.) On the days that things like that don't happen, I guess I just don't see it as that big of a deal to have to wash my uniform. It isn't like I wouldn't be doing laundry already anyway.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Many hospitals issue uniforms (scrubs) and launder them for employees that need it. At my worksite, all the maintnence and housekeeping staff, as well as all the kitchen staff have uniform services that clean and if needed repair the uniforms of their staff.

For some reason, it is OK for EMS, as a profession, to take home contaminated uniforms and wash them with the rest of our families' laundry.

nrmedic

Forum Ride Along
The agency I used to work for would allow $350.00 - $400.00 per person per year. We were a "poor" county with a small budget. How many people did that $8000.00 cover?