Uniform shirt

sleepy

Forum Probie
I'm planning to buy a white s/s uniform shirt for my test day and ride time and maybe in the future.

I like the cotton 5.11 tactical shirts which have some excellent features (wicking, pockets, etc) but doesn't have epaulets. Should I skip over this shirt and get one with epaulets to look more professional? I feel it looks a little less professional for other reasons as well. But it is a nice button down collared shirt with pockets, obviously.

I get cold easily, but I think I have to make do with a short sleeve uniform shirt plus 1 or 2 high quality thermal/wicking undershirts. (And a jacket when permitted.) I feel like short sleeve is more conducive to work, and less likely to get stains. We might not be allowed to wear long sleeve.

Thanks.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Unless your planning to do A LOT of volunteer work. Don't spend the money cause your company will issue your uniform to you. I volunteer a lot, so I picked up 2 shirts and some 5.11 pants. generic boots are fine so long as they're comfortable. Aside from that... save your money and invest in in education. Or if your planning on doing a lot of volunteer work, a small jump bag to keep in your car. God knows that if you roll up on a freeway accident, the last thing your probably going to be worried about is "putting on your uniform". More so, you should be thinking, "Reflective DOT jacket, Gloves, 911 call, and rapid trauma assessment". Those are 10x more valuable then a Class A/B uniform shirt.

... and don't wear it on testing day unless you school has a dress code that mandates you wear a Class A/B uniform.

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
Agreed. For testing/ride-along purposes, I think business casual is fine.

Khakis, light or dark, and a short-sleeved polo shirt. Simple and professional.

OP
OP
S

sleepy

Forum Probie
Thanks. Okay, I guess I have to buy a polo shirt instead, lol.

Part of my reason is that clothing almost never fits me comfortably unless I pay a tailor to get it altered. Unless it looks baggy, which isn't going to look professional. (Yeah, I'm a girl.) So I'm still wanting to buy a shirt and pair of pants and go get them altered in advance, so I have one outfit.

Should I not worry about gloves or jacket or other items until after I get my license? I like to plan well in advance for some of these things and not have to be rushing at the last minute when my other obligations are taking up my time.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
We were required to wear EMS pants for ride times. I suggest the 5.11 tactical pants because most women's pants are not flattering at all. These are awesome though! If you plan on working on an ambulance spend the money for them. Also we were required to wear a white collared shirt. Polos are great. I have one of the ralph lauren skinny polos and it fits really well. Not baggy at all. However, I do come from a family of extremly preppy golfers (no I don't play golf but my family does) so I had about 15 polos in my closet to choose from.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
instead of asking us what to buy, why not ask the service you are doing your ride time what would be appropriate for you to wear? This way you don't buy something you won't be permitted to wear when you do your ride time.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
5.11 tactical pants for sure. I have them and they're my most worn black pants... on and off duty. My wife is gonna grab a pair too.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Double Post Accident... OOPS

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
instead of asking us what to buy, why not ask the service you are doing your ride time what would be appropriate for you to wear? This way you don't buy something you won't be permitted to wear when you do your ride time.

Now that would be down right logical. :rolleyes: In my neck of the woods there are <gasp> standards for those that ride on an ambulance, employee or rider... I know... SHOCKING!!! Before anyone does ride time or hospital time they should be informed of what will be acceptable... Why ask on a public forum with a wide range of questionable opinions; as can be clearly seen by searching any one of several key words, including: T-shirts, duty belt, ride along, jump bag, or flashlight, to name a few...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Elbeco is also supposed to make women's EMS pants that are tailored well.

Wait until the service or your school gives you a dress code. If so, follow it.

And 5.11 shirts DO come as uniform shirts, too.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
If/when you need to buy anything I prefer the 5.11 Tactical pants also (I'm female). I have found that the woman's sizes run about a size smaller than my "regular" pants do so you may want to try them on before buying.

As for a shirt with passants*, if you have a option, get a shirt without them. Either a button up shirt without them, or a polo. Passants = Handles for people to grab you.

*I think you meant passant (the strap) when you said epaulette (the decoration on the strap).

OP
OP
S

sleepy

Forum Probie
I was mainly asking about the one ('lacking') feature of the 5.11 shirt. Thanks Aidey and Jon and others.

I had already decided to buy black pants and white shirt as required for ride time. Although a polo shirt should suffice, since I don't already have a decent one, I am still leaning toward getting the 5.11 shirt.

White Fang

Forum Probie
sleepy; I had already decided to buy black pants and white shirt as required for ride time. Although a polo shirt should suffice said:
I am leaning towards them too (im a guy) and on the squad that i volunteer (i start riding the end of this month yes!!!) they told me to get pants dont worry about the shirt nor the jacket, so i wonder if you order them are they good quality?
My wife and I have spent lots of time on the net and galls.com and others dont really hit the spot but my wife found the site for the tactical 511 and i am all confuse now so can you tell me or us the are they good quality? i hear lots of them tear from back to front...

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
I am leaning towards them too (im a guy) and on the squad that i volunteer (i start riding the end of this month yes!!!) they told me to get pants dont worry about the shirt nor the jacket, so i wonder if you order them are they good quality?
My wife and I have spent lots of time on the net and galls.com and others dont really hit the spot but my wife found the site for the tactical 511 and i am all confuse now so can you tell me or us the are they good quality? i hear lots of them tear from back to front...

Speaking of Galls...I have these. I've had them for a few years now. I have no complaints at all out of them.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=TR359&cat=3157