Uniform requirements for unaffiliated ageny

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I was hired to work as an EMT-B at a convention/trade show there will be a partner with me and I the staffing agency that assigned me to the job. Stated that I don't require a EMT uniform. Just dress clothes. I have a Polo shirt that has my EMT-B patch and My name in the front. I think I would feel more comfortable to wear that since, the patrons will know where to turn to if any medical or issue arises. "I think that should be the protocol that the medical staffing agency would require." But I guess every agency has their own uniform guidelines." :unsure:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I'm always a little leery about people getting hired on as an "EMT for a day". If you're working for an ambulance service, you are working under your medical director's license and are usually covered by their insurance as well, whereas if you freelance you are very much on your own, legally speaking. If you do these sorts of events often it may benefit you to look into how much it would cost to get some kind of insurance to cover yourself.

Also, remember that technically you aren't even approved to administer oxygen unless you are operating under your medical director's license...

That being said, your idea of a polo with an EMS logo on it sounds like a good plan.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Wow! that's good to know, This staffing agency, they staff medical employees, like nurses, er techs, and I think HUC's AKA "Health Unit Coordinator" as well, but they are just starting to staff EMT-Bs now. But this job is only PRN. This summer I landed a job at a Girl Scout Camp and they are licensed under some health care camp association. My job title is "Summer Health Care Manager. I assist campers with med administration, standing orders and AED and CPR. And then I coordinate safety drills and fire safety and so forth. And an RN or LPN or EMT License is required for the position. If a medical emergency occurs I would call and have a ambulance dispatched on scene and the town only has first responders BLS and ALS is only 10 miles away. I think that is why this camp is housing a licensed health care employee and I would be caring for about 150 campers a week including staff. I have some LPN classes that I took 15 some years ago but I did not finish. I thought medication administration and nursing home settings were not for me. I wanted to work more hands on and out in the field of EMS. :D

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm always a little leery about people getting hired on as an "EMT for a day". If you're working for an ambulance service, you are working under your medical director's license and are usually covered by their insurance as well, whereas if you freelance you are very much on your own, legally speaking. If you do these sorts of events often it may benefit you to look into how much it would cost to get some kind of insurance to cover yourself.

Also, remember that technically you aren't even approved to administer oxygen unless you are operating under your medical director's license...

That being said, your idea of a polo with an EMS logo on it sounds like a good plan.

PLus 1,000

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We need a sticky podcast about what a protocol is, how to recognize a valid versus an invalid one, and their impact on scope of practice.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Do I personally feel that a uniform is required? No I don't, especially if the station is labeled as a first aid station. Are you functioning as an EMT or first aid attendant?

I also think its important to look into your state protocols for scope outside of an ambulance setting. Are you able to work under your full scope, with or without medical control? If yes, do you have insurance or does the staffing agency have insurance?

In New Jersey, I can function as an EMT outside of an IFT/EMS setting, but that does not mean its smart to do it without liability insurance. I have purchased personal liability insurance for when I work special events, as well as company liability insurance for my staffing company.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We generally wear nice polos with a small company logo on the front breast for high-end events otherwise we wear our uniforms or in the summer we have red-t-shirts for special events crews and blue for street crews that can also be worn at events.

Sumner

Forum Ride Along

Great advice.

MedicSlayer

Forum Probie
Wear what you feel comfortable in, but also something that still constitutes professionalism. Remember, people will be turning to you for assistance- don't look like a schlub- dress for the job you want!

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Currently we have no uniform. I wear my FD jacket with patch and my name embroidered on it. I also had a knit cap with star of life I wore when it was very cold.

I want pair of tactical pants and tactical boots to wear with whatever shirt our squad goes with.

Oh, I do also have a couple FD tee shirts.

OP
OP
G

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I have a T-shirt with NREMT Star of life logo on it with my name last initial on it then EMT-B. Have my patch on left side. Then I have the EMT pants aspen mills with reflective tape on pockets where my trauma shears are and pen light. I am now working as an EMT-B for an agency that needs EMTs for Events at hotels, civic arenas. concerts. They put me in a hotel for the weekend. This the convention that pays for the hotel not the agency I work for. I enjoy it, but it may be a no hitter night but, but it is almost like playing security as well as EMT. For 18.50 hr. not bad for 24 hours for three days.:cool The downfall it is not ambulance job just on scene at all times, and if need be I will call for EMS for transport. Depending on the nature of illness or MOI.

Last edited by a moderator: