ultimate uniform discussion..

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Those vests that you usually keep equipment in...Like Hatzolah has..

Like these

Yeah, now I know what you are talking about. I havent seen many of those around. I hung out at the Jerusalem station for a while. There may be one that lives in every truck, but my sense is that they are rarely taken out...

WLSC2008

Forum Crew Member
Everyone,
My squad colors are green and white. We have green t-shirts, sweat shirts, hoodies, polo shirts, long sleeved t-shirts etc. with our logo on the pocket in white.
Most wear boots and blue or black cargo or EMS pants.

WLSC2008

Forum Crew Member
EMS Pants

I guess my question is where is the best and cheapest place to get EMS pants. I have seen the basic cargo pants but when I look for EMS pants them seem to jump up in place.

Got any companies or suggestions?

Thanks!

ckrump

Forum Probie
EMS Pants

We currently have grey polo shirt w/navy logo on R chest, first name & cert level on L chest, blue or black EMS pants, boots. We are in the process of getting white button down shirts for first-out crew, then will wear the grey polos for back-up crew. We are issued 2 of each style shirt, pants/boots purchased on our own w/$125 per year uniform reimbursement. Gall's (www.galls.com) usually has some pretty good deals on EMS pants. They also carry both men's & women's (most of the other companies I have checked only carry men's). Quality has been really good too. I have also used Red Dot Uniform shop.

g-emt

Forum Ride Along
For formal events (ie: twice a year) we have light blue full button down oxford shirts. They have patches and pins but honestly, we wear them so rarely, i can't picture any of the details.

Everyday, we wear navy blue (white for crew chiefs) polos with star of life on left breast, our logo on the right arm, and "EMS" in big letters on the back, navy blue pants, boots, and belt.
In the winter we have fleeces with star of life on right breast, and logo / last name or left breast. (the fleeces are pretty nice though, so i usually take it off when we get a call... kinda defeats the point)
In the hot parts of the summer we are allowed to wear t-shirts... they have the same design as the polo.
And we have a bunch of lovely rain gear.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm curious, what are you services' policies on wearing uniforms off-duty (assuming you want to). For those who's uniforms clearly say "EMT-X" or XX Fire Dept, do you feel comfortable wearing your uniform off-duty. I have always been wary of how visible my uniform is when I am not in the station or on a call (when away from an ambulance or another pair of hands). Especially here in Israel, where I take a bus and walk to my shifts, I am afraid of being stopped and asked for help. Either fortunately or unfortunately, my uniform is highly recognizable and respected.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. For the record, jordanfstop, the orange vests are distributed to medics (EMTs) and Paramedics in their courses, and stay with them. They keep gloves, steth, etc in their vests and are supposed to wear them at all MVAs. I just learned starting today, they are being "checked" for compliance for visibility and wearing their seatbelt...

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I guess my question is where is the best and cheapest place to get EMS pants. I have seen the basic cargo pants but when I look for EMS pants them seem to jump up in place.

Got any companies or suggestions?

Thanks!

EBAY!!:):)

g-emt

Forum Ride Along
I'm curious, what are you services' policies on wearing uniforms off-duty (assuming you want to). For those who's uniforms clearly say "EMT-X" or XX Fire Dept, do you feel comfortable wearing your uniform off-duty. I have always been wary of how visible my uniform is when I am not in the station or on a call (when away from an ambulance or another pair of hands). Especially here in Israel, where I take a bus and walk to my shifts, I am afraid of being stopped and asked for help. Either fortunately or unfortunately, my uniform is highly recognizable and respected.

i dont know what the legal requirement of wearing something that identifies you as ems and responding, but i know my company's policy is that if you are wearing your uniform and someone needs help, you must give it.

I dont mind wearing my uniform when i am in the response boundaries of my company. People know the company and it is highly respected by the community. I also take comfort in the fact that if i have to respond to something off duty, a crew that i know and that knows me will be there soon. (i know the logic behind this feeling is shaky, but thats how it is).

I dont like going outside of response boundaries in uniform, but something i just have a lot of stuff to do and not a lot of time to change clothes.

NJN

The Young One
We wear Either Blue(royal for cadets 15-17)and navy for FA/CPR observes and EMTs, and White for the Lt.s and Capt., With the Squad logo(patch) on the left chest and EMT printed on the sleeves if your are certified and EMS printed on the back. We also have navy blue and white button down shirts with the EMT patch on one shoulder and the squad patch on the other. We also have job-shirts with patches, and fleece jackets with patches. There are also a good supply of rain gear and turn-out gear in the building. We wear either navy blue or black pants, they don't have to be EMS pants, some wear ****ies or BDU pants, and black boots.

And on the wearing the uniform off duty, i dislike wearing anything that really shows I'm EMS, i usually wear a tshirt when traveling to and from the building or a plain jacket. I couldn't tell you our policy on wearing the uniform and helping bystanders off duty.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I'm curious, what are you services' policies on wearing uniforms off-duty (assuming you want to). For those who's uniforms clearly say "EMT-X" or XX Fire Dept, do you feel comfortable wearing your uniform off-duty. <snip>
What are your thoughts?
Well, since we're 1/2 professional and 1/2 volunteer they don't really care whether we wear our uniform while we're off duty or not. However since our 'duty' uniform kinda looks like a police uniform none of us wear it offduty (that I know of). HOWEVER, that being said, we do have 'old' out of service t-shirts and sweatshirts that we all wear like regular street clothes. I keep an out of service t-shirt at the station and one in the car for the rare occassion when I do respond to a call while off duty so I can throw it on when I get there and actually LOOK like I belong there.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
you what spring hill stuff? haha..

eh, RPD K-9 wears a golf shirt ;]

apparently we're one of the few in rockland that is trying to KEEP the uniform shirts year round. a lot of the members didn't want to get the blue uniforms shirts because they look too much like nanuet or regional. here at spring hill we just like to be different being #1 in the county and all ;););)

we're like the gentile hatzolah!

I like nanuet's blue stuff heheh

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I really enjoy our uniforms. We have black emt pants with black police type boots. During the winter we have dress uniform shirts also black. During the summer we have black polos. We have black baseball caps during the summer and black beenies during the winner. Most of us also wear duty belts. Kinda like the ones more cops wear. So yeah basicly we look like cops with scissors and a scope.

I love the sarcasm <_<B)

Short Bus

Forum Crew Member
We have gray polos with logo on the left chest and navy pants. Black belt and boots. We get danner or rocky boots. Your choice. We have some of the under shirts for winter that are similar to underarmor. The cold weather gear. Fleece with logo and name on it.

Globe EMS turnout gear.

Bike team members have shorts and the high vis blauer shirts that say EMS on the back.

Haz Mat has full turnout gear.

The polos are comfy but I think they look like poo. I hate that people mistake us for the people that work in gas stations. :wacko: