Uh unusual encounter

ChrisMed1

Forum Probie
Just had a few days ago a pretty unusual encounter I wanted to share and see you any of you guys have had also.

My partner and I on this night were both just EMT basics although our truck has the ALS equipment since sometimes it operates as an ALS truck and this night we got a pretty usually sounding call at 1 in the morning just a Nausea and Vomiting in a younger lady.

We got on scene introduce ourselves and my partner starts vitals and I start asking questions. She interrupted me and asked if we need to put in an IV I said probably not. Reason being if we did need an IV for say fluids we'd have to call for a medic and we had a short ETA to university already. Anyway after saying probably not she reaches over to the glass and tries to take the IV start kit out and was offering to put it in herself. We politely said that's not necessary and closed the glass back and later in the trip she said she's a nurse and just wanted to help but I thought that was weird that she was going to put in an IV on herself but idk that just sound unusual. Any stories similar? My partner said this isn't the first time he's had a patient or patients family member offer to do an IV before which surprised me.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I’ve self started a line or two in the field. Not crazy at all.

OP
OP
ChrisMed1

ChrisMed1

Forum Probie
I’ve self started a line or two in the field. Not crazy at all.
you don't think its unusual for a patient at 1 in the morning to just try to grab an IV start kit randomly and try to stick themselves? maybe its a due area thing because that doesn't happen a lot here and we are right out of Nashville.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
you don't think its unusual for a patient at 1 in the morning to just try to grab an IV start kit randomly and try to stick themselves? maybe its a due area thing because that doesn't happen a lot here and we are right out of Nashville.
I had a hypovolemic MD and a cachectic 20-something-year-old who wanted to start their own IVs. I said no to both. I felt much shame when I missed on the latter.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Not when the patient is more qualified, understands what is happening, and has a plan to correct it. Not unusual at all.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Not when the patient is more qualified, understands what is happening, and has a plan to correct it. Not unusual at all.
really? I'd say it's very unusual. the patient starting an IV on themselves? I'd expect that would raise a few questions. Esp on an ambulance that isn't staffed to provide IV services...

It's one thing to start an IV on yourself in class, or if you are hung over (not recommended, but it happens), or in a learning environment... but on an actual 911 call? I'd expect there to be a lot of stations asked from both supervisors and managers in the case described, and would rather it not happen.

BTW, the patient (or family) can start their own IV, with their own equipment, and I wouldn't have any objections... but a sick person starting their own IV with my equipment, when neither crew members is permitted to start an IV? yeah, I would value my job too much to even consider that under anything other than super extreme circumstances.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
really? I'd say it's very unusual. the patient starting an IV on themselves? I'd expect that would raise a few questions. Esp on an ambulance that isn't staffed to provide IV services...

It's one thing to start an IV on yourself in class, or if you are hung over (not recommended, but it happens), or in a learning environment... but on an actual 911 call? I'd expect there to be a lot of stations asked from both supervisors and managers in the case described, and would rather it not happen.

BTW, the patient (or family) can start their own IV, with their own equipment, and I wouldn't have any objections... but a sick person starting their own IV with my equipment, when neither crew members is permitted to start an IV? yeah, I would value my job too much to even consider that under anything other than super extreme circumstances.
Nobody started the line. They offered.

OP
OP
ChrisMed1

ChrisMed1

Forum Probie
Nobody started the line. They offered.
They offered as the attempted to still get the IV kit out. What I'm saying is it's unusual at least for me for someone to offer, for someone to attempt to grab an IV start kit before getting the okay to start an IV, and frankly I think it'd be even more unusual if to allow it so I didn't allow for it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes, this is unusual.

Not sure what one poster here is trying to prove. Would probably argue the color of the sky with you too.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, this is unusual.

Not sure what one poster here is trying to prove. Would probably argue the color of the sky with you too.
Nope. It’s blue. No one said it’s not unusual. People indicated it’s never done, it’s crazy sounding, etc. lots of overreactions indicating you’ve never dealt with Military or healthcare providers as patients.

Just because you don’t like the thought that it can happen, doesn’t mean someone is trying to “prove” something.

You’ve never self started a line while teaching IV therapy to show how easy it is? If not, try it. It’s a great cognitive skills test. And my Baby Docs enjoy it.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Rubicon Bob

Forum Crew Member
Nope. It’s blue. No one said it’s not unusual. People indicated it’s never done, it’s crazy sounding, etc. lots of overreactions indicating you’ve never dealt with Military or healthcare providers as patients.

Just because you don’t like the thought that it can happen, doesn’t mean someone is trying to “prove” something.

You’ve never self started a line while teaching IV therapy to show how easy it is? If not, try it. It’s a great cognitive skills test. And my Baby Docs enjoy it.
I wouldn't say it "never" happens (strange things do and will happen), but I would consider it very, very unusual.

I've been a career (Full-time career, not "volunteer or part-time", and not with a non-EMS "real job" that pays the mortgage, food, and bills, with EMS as a hobby) Paramedic since 1985, and I can say that I have no memory of ever having a patient wanting to start their own IV.

Also, I can't say that I have any memory of any co-workers ever telling stories of any patient/s wanting to start their own IV.

Sample size: 1