Two opportunities

DillR

Forum Crew Member
As I near the end of my basic training (may 16th ftw!) I am presented with two job opportunites.

Option 1: Work for the local 911 service.

Option 2: work for a company that does 5150 transports from the phyc. Facility to a hospital 3 hrs. Away.

Option 2 pays quite a bit more and has better benefits, but I feel like I would not get to utilize my training, and I might not enjoy it as much. So which would you fine people choose?

Thanks for all responces!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You need to think about a few things before making a decision.

1. How old are you? If you're young then there will be lots of opportunities to make money.
2. Do you have a family? If you have people who are depending on your income then you should take the higher paying job.
3. How do you handle stress? I have almost no experience in psych transfers but I imagine the burn out rate might be higher than 911.
4. Have you really looked into the work conditions at both places? Sometimes there is a reason a place pays more money.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
As I near the end of my basic training (may 16th ftw!) I am presented with two job opportunites.

Option 1: Work for the local 911 service.

Option 2: work for a company that does 5150 transports from the phyc. Facility to a hospital 3 hrs. Away.

Option 2 pays quite a bit more and has better benefits, but I feel like I would not get to utilize my training, and I might not enjoy it as much. So which would you fine people choose?

Thanks for all responces!

Benefits and pay are a lot more attractive than 3 hour transports for pennies.
Not that those aren't important but, I'm old...I need those benefits! Good luck no matter which you choose :>)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Honestly, at the basic level there's not much "training" to utilize anyhow.

Now if you were nearing the end of Paramedic school, I'd recommend 911 all the way, but 911 as a basic relegates you mainly to driving, and honestly I'd rather have more money for doing the same job.

OP
OP
DillR

DillR

Forum Crew Member
I am very young, only 17, still living at home. Noone to provide for but myself.

So thinking it over a bit, here is the plan:
-Finish Basic, take job for 911 service.
-keep that up while i finish last year of high school
-work while going to college (have several scholarships, going into nursing)
-go to paramedic school
-Have lots of options.

Sound like a plan?

OP
OP
DillR

DillR

Forum Crew Member
Private company serving the native american hospital in my town. (I am cherokee indian.)

Can only sit for NREMT at 18, until then I am state certified.

18G

Paramedic
That is kind of a tough decision. Here is my advice.

Since you are young and still living at home... I'll assume your bills are pretty limited (def a good thing!) so it would probably be better for you to take the 911 job.

I recommend this because you will be able to develop your communication skills more, learn how to approach patients in different settings, recognize different scenes, clues, MOI's, etc., you will get exposed to other healthcare providers on a level you prob won't doing psych transports, and will have the chance to utilize and hone your skills.

If you start out right away doing psych transports your skills will fade quickly and you will never have the chance to develop them. So I would recommend getting some solid 911 experience and than if the other opportunity is still open consider it than.

And not to mention morale is an issue to consider too. Money isn't everything. It's nice to be able to look forward to going to work and have it not even seem like "work" when your there.

Good luck with your decision!

feldy

Forum Captain
not a whole lot of basics get to have 911 experience right off the bat. I would take that one if you can and see how you like it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
They call psychiatric patients "5150s" in Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain)?

kenpomed

Forum Ride Along
Hey there new to the field. Do what you really want to do. Don't always just go for the bucks. Life is too short. Just food for thought. I like your Young Frankenstein photo :eek:)

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
I am very young, only 17, still living at home. Noone to provide for but myself.

So thinking it over a bit, here is the plan:
-Finish Basic, take job for 911 service.
-keep that up while i finish last year of high school
-work while going to college (have several scholarships, going into nursing)
-go to paramedic school
-Have lots of options.

Sound like a plan?

This. Is. It. Seriously, if I had your life, I would do exactly that. You will be very happy with yourself, I think, especially because the amount of raw experience you will have beyond what your nursing peers will have while in school. It will definitely put you ahead, and unlike most jobs, might actually help you with your studies. Best of luck to you.

Lifeguard EMT

Forum Ride Along
I did a similar thing. I wanted to do pre-med in college so during my last yr of high school i took an EMT-B class. Right after the course, i was offered a job as either a transport or 911 dispatch. I chose the dispatch because i am not the type of person who like to "sit around", but as a 911 dispatcher, i am limited to what i do, mainly its just splints and that sort of thing. I also work as a part time life guard and i make more there than as an EMT.Im currently thinking about getting my EMT-I and possibly EMT-P before med school.

If money isnt an issue, do the dispatch. You will not regret it.