1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Tulsa Area EMS

Discussion in 'EMS Talk' started by ArcticOkie, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ArcticOkie

ArcticOkie Forum Ride Along

Education:
    Student
    Hey all!

First time poster here. I was wondering if anyone is on here who CURRENTLY works for or very recently worked for EMSA or any of the other EMS services in the Tulsa,OK area.

I am starting an EMT-B class in the fall and am wanting to pick some brains about the different services.

I have read a bit about these services on this forum from years ago but am wanting to get the current details about the different services.

Thanks in advance and thank you for this forum. I have enjoy the posts so far.

AO

2. RocketMedic

RocketMedic Fancy Book Learnin'

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    Well, my EMSA knowledge is dated, but nothing has changed. Pafford is a way better place to be a basic. At EMSA, you only drive and assist- no teching a call for you.

3. ArcticOkie

Education:
    Student
    Ok great. Thanks for the reply! What do you mean by “teching a call”? I see this in your posts from previous EMSA talk as well. Does this mean no hands on for the basic or something along those lines?

4. NightHealer865

NightHealer865 The caffeinated jerk everyone grows to love.

Education:
    Paramedic
    It means that you will never be in the back with a patient, the paramedic will. You’ll drive the ambulance. Seems to be a common thing with private services, whom then later wonder why their EMTs are so rusty with skills.

5. ArcticOkie

Education:
    Student
    Oh ok thanks!

6. RocketMedic

RocketMedic Fancy Book Learnin'

Education:
    Critical Care EMT-P
    Basically, the money is similar to local and regional competitors, you'll be on 12-hour shifts with limited patient contact and no leadership opportunities, you'll drive 300ish miles a day, and you'll get really good at driving an F450 and watching your partner do paperwork, patient care and gripe.

Equipment is better (powerloads, vents, etc) than most competitors.

If you want to actually do stuff as an EMT, Pafford in Claremore gives you a lot more opportunities and a better schedule for schools.

7. ArcticOkie

Education:
    Student
    Ok this is great information! Thanks a ton.