Tuff question Between EMS/Fire department

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
I love what Im getting into and want to make EMS my career but I also want to become a Columbia firefighter. Columbia fire department is an amazing department and getting on would be a peice of cake for me. Not only would working for columbia be a very rewarding career for me but I do not think I will be able to get as much hands on with EMS as I would like. The only stuff Columbia firedepartment really does is first responce... Im in a pickle

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Actually, First Responder stuff is FUN! I do it as a full-time job. What is great is that you get to do the "fun" patient care, but get to turn over the whole "transporting" thing to someone else... you then go availible as soon as the patient is off-scene.... total call time is almost always under 20 minutes from dispatch to availible. Then you write your chart, then you are DONE... no driving to the hospital, waiting for a bed, waiting to transfer care, waiting for the ambulance that blocked your rig to move, etc.

It isn't a totally bad thing. If you are gung-ho about EMS, most times you'll get to run the call anyway... the rest of the firefighters are often more than happy to stand back, help the medics, and then go back to the firehouse to nap. If you really want to work on an ambulance, get a part-time job with whoever the City uses as a transport service, or the next town over.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Are you kidding? First response stuff is the best. In fact we have a waiting list for our crews to work the first response shifts, and there is a big pay cut too.

You get on scene, get to do all the fun stuff, and then someone else comes along and does all the crap work. Maybe if you're working a code you may help out in the back of the ambulance, but once you get to the hospital the FD will be there waiting to pick you up.

It's like all of the good stuff about EMS without all of the crap.

OP
OP
Sineath02

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, I'm pretty positive I will go to columbia fire department but I am going to wait till I finish paramedic school first. I figure by then I will have seen it all and gotten some experience, not to mention maybe get int a little better shape haha :p

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Does Columbia FD work the traditional 24/48 schedule? If they do, then you'll have plenty of time on your hands. You could work as a paramedic part time. Perhaps consider that option.

OP
OP
Sineath02

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
Yes Mam 24/48, but on my free time I really want to get into photography. Perhaps make some money on the side with that as well.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Jon said:
Actually, First Responder stuff is FUN! I do it as a full-time job. What is great is that you get to do the "fun" patient care, but get to turn over the whole "transporting" thing to someone else...

Yeah, our agency is an on-site BLS/BTLS type of agency. It's a lot of fun - and most of the time we can see the MOI/etc.