Troubles with passing NREMT Basic

Dante87x

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone, this is my first thread and yes I have read the other threads but would like some direct input on a few things.

I failed the NREMT Basic exam twice. I've used the website national Emt training.com for months and it doesn't seem to help much. Anyone else like this website?

I've also studied from my Brady book and focused a lot on the Chapters - airway, cardiology, OBGYN, bleeding and shock, and respiratory emergencies. I've made flash cards with most information and terms that I thought to be important.

Each time I fail, on the results and page where it tells you if you were above passing, below passing or near passing, in that section, I've had diff results every time. One time I'm above in Trauma and cardiology, next time I'm below in those and above in medical and airway.

I don't really know exactly what I'm doing wrong in terms of preparing for this test. Any input? Should I try a different website or a different book? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kaput

Forum Ride Along
When I asked the EMTs in my area for advice a lot of them pointed me to REA's EMT-Basic interactive flashcards (book). After taking the exam I too feel it helped a lot. You are certainly doing well by reading the chapters and using flashcards. It will help in understanding the situation. But, REA's book helps because the questions are set up like the registry and have an explanation for the answer. The hardest part about the nremt is not choosing a right answer, it is choosing the best answer. By continually using registry style questions to review, it gets you into the rhythm of being able to notice subtle clues for determining the best answer.

The only caveat I have to using free online practice exams and even REA's book is this: The medical world is constantly changing. A lot of the free practice exams have a question here or there that are outdated or wrong. Heck, even in REA's current edition there is a typo in the answer explanation to determining an activated charcoal dosage.

heresay

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone, this is my first thread and yes I have read the other threads but would like some direct input on a few things.

I failed the NREMT Basic exam twice. I've used the website national Emt training.com for months and it doesn't seem to help much. Anyone else like this website?

I've also studied from my Brady book and focused a lot on the Chapters - airway, cardiology, OBGYN, bleeding and shock, and respiratory emergencies. I've made flash cards with most information and terms that I thought to be important.

Each time I fail, on the results and page where it tells you if you were above passing, below passing or near passing, in that section, I've had diff results every time. One time I'm above in Trauma and cardiology, next time I'm below in those and above in medical and airway.

I don't really know exactly what I'm doing wrong in terms of preparing for this test. Any input? Should I try a different website or a different book? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Go to the front of each chapter in your textbook and go through the objectives. If you know the objectives you should be good for the test.