Trouble getting started as a basic.

JoeTheBasic

Forum Ride Along
Hi all and thanks in advance for your help.
I am a newly minted Basic, green to the bone and hopeing to truely start my experiential education in EMS. I have had trouble with getting (semi volunteer) agencies to get back to me as i am in a tough spot with licencing. I am a fully credentialed NREMT, but the great Empire State needs me to jump through their hoops to get a licence (I studied out of state). I have been in contact with a couple of semi volunteer agencies but have not heard anything back in a couple weeks and have had a hard time getting in contact with anyone there.
Any advice on how to move forward as a volunteer (for now)?

Thanks for reading my novel of a post!

Ps. I really would like to work with an organisation with some full time staff because I think it will give me a better learning opportunity.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
the great Empire State needs me to jump through their hoops to get a licence

I got my NYS license (soon to expire, since I only practice in CT) based on my CT & NREMT. My understanding is that there should be no problem granting reciprocity for NREMT:

What are your specific issues/hoops? It should be straightforward - though it may be time consuming (waiting on them).

OP
OP
J

JoeTheBasic

Forum Ride Along
I got my NYS license (soon to expire, since I only practice in CT) based on my CT & NREMT. My understanding is that there should be no problem granting reciprocity for NREMT:

What are your specific issues/hoops? It should be straightforward - though it may be time consuming (waiting on them).

Thanks EpiEMS. I really just don't know where to get started and what the first step is. This is why I was hoping that a service would be able to point me in the right direction. Do you know if I need to be affiliated with anyone to receive my license? I have done a little digging seince reading your post and I think I have found the appropriate forms online, it does seem pretty straight forward which is surprising for NYS. Thanks for your help!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@JoeTheBasic

No problem - glad to help.

You don't need to be associated with a service (in NYS) to get your license from the NYS Bureau of EMS. (Obviously, you need a license & agency affiliation to practice as an EMS provider.)

The process is time consuming, like I said, but straightforward - if you need help, the NYS BEMS does pick up the phone, as long as you call during business hours (and not during their lunch ;)). Of course, feel free to PM me or post on this thread if you'd like!