Trouble Finding Employment

KirkAndrzejewski

Forum Probie
Hello all,

I recently returned from AIT a few weeks back. I am a 68w combat medic in the Michigan National Guard. During my leave I was allowed to take during the Holiday Season, I applied for my EMT-B license and received it in the mail a few weeks later. I am now home after completing the Combat portion (Whiskey Phase) of my Advanced Individual Training, and have been searching for employment as an EMT.

I've had quite some trouble finding local employment. Looking online I can't find any openings locally, but I have applied to 3 companies all between 30 mins and 45 mins away from my small town of Bay City, MI. (I've applied to companies in both Saginaw and Flint MI). I have heard from a company in Flint and will be doing a "ride along" with them this upcoming Saturday; hopefully an interview follows. As for locally, there are 3 companies around me, but none have any openings.

I had heard it would be difficult to secure employment in my area, but wasn't aware it would be this tough. Any tips? I have friends that work as EMTs for the local hospital, but all they are able to do is put in a good word and direct me towards the site, to watch for openings if one may possibly ever POP up... I remain doubtful, yet hopeful.

zachogden

Forum Ride Along
Private EMS in the metro Detroit area is always hiring, I can tell you that. We bleed basics down here like crazy