Trivia Question...

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
JJR512 said:
By Maryland law, the only requirement for an emergency vehicle to be considered operating in emergency mode is for the siren to be on.

I think that seems a bit backwards, both based on this comment, and based on what I've seen. I've seen emergency vehicles operating with lights only, and no siren, many, many times.

The only comment my EMT instructor made on this is to remember the law, but consider the need of the patient over the law.

I can assure you, if an ambulance was involved in an accident and ONLY had a siren on with no lights, that agency would write a fat check. I would like to see the Maryland statute that says siren only is "emergency mode".

Because that would mean a police officer only has to sound his siren and not turn on his lights to pull a person over as well.

I am not saying it isn't so, I would just love to see that. In my 16 years in the field I have never heard of such a thing.

Here is an article with the Statute #:

http://www.kahnsmith.com/articles/emerveh.htm

There are several Maryland statutes governing the privileges of drivers of emergency vehicles in route to an accident. In order to enjoy these privileges, however, the emergency vehicle must be using both audible and visual signals which meet certain requirements set forth in the statute. Emergency vehicles must be equipped with "a siren, exhaust whistle, or bell capable of giving an audible sound" and flashing lights with "sufficient intensity to be visible at 500 feet in normal sunlight." Md. Code Ann. Transp. 22-218. Drivers in route to an emergency using these audible and visual signals may pass through red or stop signals, stop signs, or yield signs provided they slow down. Drivers responding to a call or alarm using audible and visual signals may disregard traffic control devices and are permitted to exceed the maximum speed limit provided they do not endanger life or property. Md. Code Ann. Transp. 21-106. These privileges apply when responding to, but not returning from a fire alarm. Md. Code Ann. Transp. 21-106. It is important to note that despite these privileges, the driver of an emergency vehicle is still obligated to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
MedicStudentJon said:
Ok...

how can one run "hot" without Lights OR sirens?

just curious.

They were transporting a code apparently. Whoever was driving never turned on light & sirens. I don't have much by way of details & this happened in the county above me about 13 years ago. But they did write a big fat check to my grandfather-in-law afterward.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
DT4EMS said:
I can assure you, if an ambulance was involved in an accident and ONLY had a siren on with no lights, that agency would write a fat check. I would like to see the Maryland statute that says siren only is "emergency mode".

Because that would mean a police officer only has to sound his siren and not turn on his lights to pull a person over as well.

I'm just repeating what my instructor told me. Based on the other evidence you quoted, it would appear at this time that she may have been incorrect. I will question her about it.

By the way, while doing my own research, I have discovered that your own point about the police officer pulling someone over with siren only may in fact be correct: "...the privileges set forth in this section apply only while the emergency vehicle is using audible and visual signals that meet the requirements of § 22-218 of this article, except that an emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle need not be equipped with or display the visual signals." (§ 21-106)

I have discovered some other discrepancies between what I saw printed in the code and what I've been told. For example, there is still a code listed that describes how other drivers must yield the right of way to emergency vehicles that are operating their lights and sirens; however, I have been told that this is no longer actually true.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Hiya JJ,
Here is a part of the link in your reply. Hopefully it will help clear up any confusion. It says the lights AND siren must be on except when it was sitting still or backing.

Now you know why there are always at least three attorneys present in a court case. :)

8) (i) Except as provided in subparagraphs (ii) and (iii) of this paragraph, the blue, red, or white lights or signal devices may be flashed or oscillated or otherwise used only while on route to or at the scene of an emergency, and their use does not relieve an emergency vehicle from otherwise giving an audible warning as required elsewhere in the Maryland Vehicle Law.

(ii) The driver of an emergency vehicle may use flashing lights within 100 feet of the entrance ramp of a fire or rescue station while parking or backing the emergency vehicle.

(iii) The driver of an emergency vehicle of a fire department or rescue squad shall, at the discretion of the officer in charge, flash or oscillate or otherwise use red and white lights or signal devices while stopped, standing, or parked on the roadway at the scene of an emergency.