Trick to hear BP Better in the Moving Rig???

Jim_NJEMT

Forum Ride Along
Get a scope that works for you. I switched from a Littman Classic II S.E. to a Littman Master Classic II, reported by Littman to be better acoustically, and it was like day and night. I was amazed!

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
You were told by an RN?

-Position the patients arm with palm up
-Straighten the arm
-Put forearm on your knee. Don't touch cot with your knee or you'll still hear background noise.

If you can't hear BP then palp.

That and a good set of ears and you'll have no issues.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
If I'm having a hard time hearing a BP, I'll usually take a palp to confirm at least my systolic so that I know if I'm on the right track or not. Otherwise throw some money at a nice scope? Not practical for everyone, but worth a shot.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Get an ultrascope. Do it
I just ordered mine on saturday :)

If I'm having a hard time hearing a BP, I'll usually take a palp to confirm at least my systolic so that I know if I'm on the right track or not. Otherwise throw some money at a nice scope? Not practical for everyone, but worth a shot.

You shouldn't have to double check it if it's not immensely off from the pt status :s I would only double check an NIBP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Get a scope that works for you. I switched from a Littman Classic II S.E. to a Littman Master Classic II, reported by Littman to be better acoustically, and it was like day and night. I was amazed!

Really? I just upgraded from a Classic II S.E. to a Cardiology III and, although there is a marginal improvement with the Cardio III - I don't find it to be nearly as dramatic as I was expecting.

BLS4LYFE

Forum Ride Along
Turn your stehascope around, so the ears are facing in towads the canal of your ears. Then, drive your rig into a tree.

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
Practice practice practice. Next time you are on shift have your partner turn the engine on in a parking lot and take their blood pressure.

PanzerKitty

Forum Probie
My problem was always palpating the pluse in the back of a moving ambulance. Lol.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
my problem was doing a BP on the patients right arm. im not good at standing inside a moving ambulance going code 3. add that to getting a BP on the right arm by having to lean over the patient. hit my head on the comparments countless times

Hockey

Quackers
my problem was doing a BP on the patients right arm. im not good at standing inside a moving ambulance going code 3. add that to getting a BP on the right arm by having to lean over the patient. hit my head on the comparments countless times

No.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
How well does this Steth work? I was looking at a Littman Cardiology III but it's not cheap. I would be using mine 95% of the time for breath sounds.

It outperforms alot of scopes... ask jtpaintball.. i know he has a cardiology and an ultrascope

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
How well does this Steth work? I was looking at a Littman Cardiology III but it's not cheap. I would be using mine 95% of the time for breath sounds.

Didn't have a Cardiology, but I did have a Classic SE. My Maxiscope is easier to ascultate with by a mile.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I believe Hockey expressed my thoughts, just not quite as eloquently as I'm about to.

There is limited to no need to be unsecured in the back of the truck, and doing so DRASTICALLY increases our own morbidity and mortality should there be some form of adverse event.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
This is the part of that statement I have a major problem
with. Why not just do it in the left?

It was on a ride out for class. It was an ALS transport where the patient went south on us. Patient had a fancy prostic right arm. So that means there is no left arm to take a BP on.