Treating On Scene/En Route

Treatments on scene

• Grab and go!

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Basic medications/stabilization

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Start an IV line and monitor (12 lead if indicated)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Full ALS treatment and workup on scene

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I would like to see our agency expand our care even more to allow some additional diagnostic tools to be used, such as checking electrolyte levels, checking for presence of cardiac markers and enzymes, and ultrasound capabilities. Right now we are in a budget crunch, so for right now that type of improvement is on the back burner.

We agree on many things, but I have to respectfully point out/ask.

I have worked with the istat for troponin in the hospital, it is way too sensitive and tempermentl machine for a rig I think. If you dropped a piece of equipment with any weight on the desk it was on it would error out. With one test taking roughly ten minutes and the lab controls required, it doesn't seem like it would be of much benefit. Especially since even in the ED all it seems to serve is hich service the pt is admitted to. Not to mention it makes cards real angry when you call them with the 0.1ng positive result. I am not sure it is a good idea to have EMS worry about an admitting dx. and the service.

As for other electrolytes, I think serious considertion should be given to the cost/benefit ratio. I think it would be a major challenge to get hospitals to accept your lab values, which means a pt will be double billed in all likelyhood. Also if you are not going to have treatment protocols for it, would it really be anything more than a toy? Does your service have the time or desire to maintain lab certification for such?

Ultrasound I can see having several good uses. (Ultrasonography is very much underutilized in the US compared to Europe) Probably definately worth the money and training involved.

Would you be willing to share the reasons you think the labs would be beneficial or justify the cost and time in the prehospital setting?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
PHTLS, as I recall, discusses the platinum ten minutes - the amount of time you should be on scene with the patient before initiating transport to definitive care under the bright, harsh lights of the OR.

But it all depends. Medical patients might require a more detailed history. EMTs don't have much problem grabbing a set of vitals, getting a history, and being off the scene in 10-15 minutes. But medics have a lot more to do.

On the other hand... I've been at calls where medics kept us on scene for up to 35 minutes after their arrival, taking 12-leads, a detailed history, etc., etc. It was almost more than I could bear, since had the medics not shown up... the patient would have been in the ER for 25 minutes by the time we even cleared the scene. And medics hereabouts don't like to be reminded (not that I would ever say such a thing on scene) that the M in MICU stands for /mobile/. (And the response would be "We're a mobile ER, we bring the ER to the patient! It has nothing to do with treating en route!")

So, there's a balance. Does the patient need to be stabilized before they can be moved? How far is the hospital? How long will it take to extract the patient from between the bathtub and toilet bowl and get him or her into the rig down fifteen icy steps and an unshoveled driveway?

As a Basic, I'm a firm believer in load and go, mainly because there's so little we can do, and the best intervention is often rapid transport. But with higher levels of training comes greater ability to do something on scene before transporting.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
We agree on many things, but I have to respectfully point out/ask.

I have worked with the istat for troponin in the hospital, it is way too sensitive and tempermentl machine for a rig I think. If you dropped a piece of equipment with any weight on the desk it was on it would error out. With one test taking roughly ten minutes and the lab controls required, it doesn't seem like it would be of much benefit. Especially since even in the ED all it seems to serve is hich service the pt is admitted to. Not to mention it makes cards real angry when you call them with the 0.1ng positive result. I am not sure it is a good idea to have EMS worry about an admitting dx. and the service.

As for other electrolytes, I think serious considertion should be given to the cost/benefit ratio. I think it would be a major challenge to get hospitals to accept your lab values, which means a pt will be double billed in all likelyhood. Also if you are not going to have treatment protocols for it, would it really be anything more than a toy? Does your service have the time or desire to maintain lab certification for such?

Ultrasound I can see having several good uses. (Ultrasonography is very much underutilized in the US compared to Europe) Probably definately worth the money and training involved.

Would you be willing to share the reasons you think the labs would be beneficial or justify the cost and time in the prehospital setting?

well.. for example.. you get a diabetic patient who "just doesn't feel well" and hasn't all day.. you do all the standard tests.. and you dont see a STEMI on the 12 lead.. maybe some nonspecific ST changes.. so you take the patient to a hospital that doesnt have interventional cardiology available there.. because its a diabetic not feeling well.. common scenario...
You get the pt to the ER, and they check their cardiac markers.. and find a non st elevation MI in progress..

Now, the same scenario with the istat.. you run the cardiac markers and are able to recognize the patient will need a interventional cardiac facility.

Checking basic lab values and electrolytes can allow for a more educated decision making process. If you get a patient who is short of breath, pale, weak, etc.. and you cant seem to find a reason.. you check the CBC and find they have a low RBC count.. you can give advance warning to the ER that they are in need of a transfusion.

On longer transports (which we do have here in my agency) it would allow you to determine if a trauma patient is slowly bleeding out but still compensating for the bleed.

It would allow you to find out that the altered LOC patient you've picked up isnt altered because they are having a CVA, its because they've got an infection that you are able to ascertain because of the elevated white blood cell count.

You can check pH levels on people to help make a decision to place CPAP or intubate.. or whether bicarb would be needed on an acidotic patient..or being able to know a blood gas on a patient would be very beneficial in determining their overall respiratory status and help you make a more educated treatment decision.

You get a patient with renal insufficiency who's serum level potassium is high, and you decide you want to intubate for whatever reason.. and you push a depolarizing neuromuscular blocker, and spike their serum potassium to a fatal level... you've killed that patient while trying to help them. a potassium level can tell you if this a safe idea or not.

I know some of these seem to be very outside our "scope of practice" but I feel that it can be a realistic goal for EMS in the future and certainly not outside the realm of possibility for something akin to a real Advanced Practice Paramedic... a step above what a paramedic does today.

As far as the durability of the istat device and other lab checking values, they can be redesigned to become more rugged. Imagine back 10 or 15 years ago when someone suggested putting a computer in a moving vehicle.. im sure people doubted the feasibility because they were just too delicate of a machine.. now we have computers you can run over or throw at a wall and they still keep ticking..

I like to strive for the future, and believe that we can better ourselves as a profession.. I just wished more people did the same.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
friendly debate

well.. for example.. you get a diabetic patient who "just doesn't feel well" and hasn't all day.. you do all the standard tests.. and you dont see a STEMI on the 12 lead.. maybe some nonspecific ST changes.. so you take the patient to a hospital that doesnt have interventional cardiology available there.. because its a diabetic not feeling well.. common scenario...
You get the pt to the ER, and they check their cardiac markers.. and find a non st elevation MI in progress..

Now, the same scenario with the istat.. you run the cardiac markers and are able to recognize the patient will need a interventional cardiac facility.

This is probably area specific I guess.

Even still, I would just point out to you that what the ED thinks is a significant troponin and what cards does has considerable variation. You may be logging a lot of miles and transporting a considerable amount of people to a hospital that will be filling up and fighting about what to do with a majority of the patients. I find Istat to be more useful in admitting disposition than a diagnostic. especially since a positive result should be confirmed by a standard lab.

Checking basic lab values and electrolytes can allow for a more educated decision making process. If you get a patient who is short of breath, pale, weak, etc.. and you cant seem to find a reason.. you check the CBC and find they have a low RBC count.. you can give advance warning to the ER that they are in need of a transfusion.

I just don't think this will have much impact. If the patient is not about to die, there is plenty of time for blood typing and figuring out what is wrong, before you start pulling out blood. In more obvious scenarios like a ruptured esophageal varicy or other GI bleed it is superfluous. Not to mention it doesn't rule out anemias or other blood issues. Cost to benefit just doesn't seem there.

As for electrolytes, unless you are planning to treat them in the field and the patient is not emergent enough and can wait for the results, why bother?

On longer transports (which we do have here in my agency) it would allow you to determine if a trauma patient is slowly bleeding out but still compensating for the bleed.

Without a blood product or surgical way to stop bleeding this information seems inconsequential.

It would allow you to find out that the altered LOC patient you've picked up isnt altered because they are having a CVA, its because they've got an infection that you are able to ascertain because of the elevated white blood cell count.

But if they are so altered wouldn't there be more gross clinical signs? Even if you knew the WBC are you going to start ab therapy? Even in a more subtle case like an appendicitis, I can't see how it would help. How does knowing a WBC count make a difference? (in EMS of course)

You can check pH levels on people to help make a decision to place CPAP or intubate.. or whether bicarb would be needed on an acidotic patient..or being able to know a blood gas on a patient would be very beneficial in determining their overall respiratory status and help you make a more educated treatment decision.

I will cautiously agree this may be a good idea in the field but i have reservations.

You get a patient with renal insufficiency who's serum level potassium is high, and you decide you want to intubate for whatever reason.. and you push a depolarizing neuromuscular blocker, and spike their serum potassium to a fatal level... you've killed that patient while trying to help them. a potassium level can tell you if this a safe idea or not.

If you are planning a field RSI are you really going to wait for the labs to be done? "Killed the patient" is a bit dramatic for me, but if for some reason you suspect there is renal insufficency, or a hyper K for any reason, why not just use a different med?

I know some of these seem to be very outside our "scope of practice" but I feel that it can be a realistic goal for EMS in the future and certainly not outside the realm of possibility for something akin to a real Advanced Practice Paramedic... a step above what a paramedic does today..

It is not the scope of practice, that can always be changed. I think it is just a cost/benefit imbalance. I'd like to think I carry the banner for bringing more advanced "hospital" medicine to the field, but I am just not convinced Labs are going to be of much use unless you are using them to avoid transporting to an ED. Which is going to increase your scene times considerably. Reducing transport I think is a good idea. Or even doing labs as a mobile continuum of primary care. But in the current version of "EMS" in the majority of US, I remain unconvinced these diagnostics would be useful enough to justify the cost.

As far as the durability of the istat device and other lab checking values, they can be redesigned to become more rugged. Imagine back 10 or 15 years ago when someone suggested putting a computer in a moving vehicle.. im sure people doubted the feasibility because they were just too delicate of a machine.. now we have computers you can run over or throw at a wall and they still keep ticking..

Supposedly Istat troponin device was made to be usuable by EMS. But in order for the device to read properly, it must be on a level surface without vibration. Don't take my word for it, I encourage you to call a sales rep and ask if you can try one out. But I have a strong suspicion I know what your review will be.

Also consider the cartriges need to be refridgerated. As do the daily controls. Between the blood draw and the actual machine processing time it takes about 10-15 minutes.(providing there is no error which resets the clock) If the result comes back positive you still have to do more detailed testing.

I haven't got to use the bedside blood gas device personally, as when I am in the ICU my role is not to deal with that, but I will get the dirt on it Thursday.

I like to strive for the future, and believe that we can better ourselves as a profession.. I just wished more people did the same.

As do I. But the role I see these diagnostics useful for EMS is not in emergency, but in an extension of primary care. Something many EMS agencies are not eager to embrace.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
This is probably area specific I guess.

Even still, I would just point out to you that what the ED thinks is a significant troponin and what cards does has considerable variation. You may be logging a lot of miles and transporting a considerable amount of people to a hospital that will be filling up and fighting about what to do with a majority of the patients. I find Istat to be more useful in admitting disposition than a diagnostic. especially since a positive result should be confirmed by a standard lab.

This is why you coordinate with the cardiac facilities in your service area when you implement the istat... find out what they would like to see as far as an acceptable level and an unacceptable level requiring transport to a cardiac facility. I understand some areas this might not be feasible but in our county we have one health system managing the 4 out of 5 hospitals we transport to most commonly and the 5th one is where our medical director practices... so its very feasible here.

I just don't think this will have much impact. If the patient is not about to die, there is plenty of time for blood typing and figuring out what is wrong, before you start pulling out blood. In more obvious scenarios like a ruptured esophageal varicy or other GI bleed it is superfluous. Not to mention it doesn't rule out anemias or other blood issues. Cost to benefit just doesn't seem there.

As for electrolytes, unless you are planning to treat them in the field and the patient is not emergent enough and can wait for the results, why bother?
Without a blood product or surgical way to stop bleeding this information seems inconsequential.

I do admit you have a point here... I will also point out when i made this post it was 130 in the am, i was on shift, and not thinking as clearly as I should have :p so much of this is wishful thinking.

But if they are so altered wouldn't there be more gross clinical signs? Even if you knew the WBC are you going to start ab therapy? Even in a more subtle case like an appendicitis, I can't see how it would help. How does knowing a WBC count make a difference? (in EMS of course)

I will cautiously agree this may be a good idea in the field but i have reservations.

If you are planning a field RSI are you really going to wait for the labs to be done? "Killed the patient" is a bit dramatic for me, but if for some reason you suspect there is renal insufficency, or a hyper K for any reason, why not just use a different med?

Not everyone has access to multiple paralytic medications. We carry succinylcholine and thats it.

It is not the scope of practice, that can always be changed. I think it is just a cost/benefit imbalance. I'd like to think I carry the banner for bringing more advanced "hospital" medicine to the field, but I am just not convinced Labs are going to be of much use unless you are using them to avoid transporting to an ED. Which is going to increase your scene times considerably. Reducing transport I think is a good idea. Or even doing labs as a mobile continuum of primary care. But in the current version of "EMS" in the majority of US, I remain unconvinced these diagnostics would be useful enough to justify the cost.

With the increase in calls for service, and the commonality of non acute presentations of patients, transporting to destinations other than the ER or using these diagnostic tools to justify a non-transport situation to reduce workload on the ER's... which we all know non-emergent and non-acute conditions add to the overcrowding of the ER's. A change like this is almost a certainty if something is to be done about the situation.

Supposedly Istat troponin device was made to be usuable by EMS. But in order for the device to read properly, it must be on a level surface without vibration. Don't take my word for it, I encourage you to call a sales rep and ask if you can try one out. But I have a strong suspicion I know what your review will be.

Also consider the cartriges need to be refridgerated. As do the daily controls. Between the blood draw and the actual machine processing time it takes about 10-15 minutes.(providing there is no error which resets the clock) If the result comes back positive you still have to do more detailed testing.

We do carry a decent sized refrigerator in our ambulances now, for ativan, succinylcholine, and for our ROSC thereputic hypothermia IV fluids, so storing the cartridges wouldn't be an issue.

If the test comes back positive, of course there needs to be more detailed testing performed, in the ER, but it may help make a transport decision that would better benefit our patient. It can also benefit the hospitals in a situation where someone does not need the services of a interventional cardiologist by reducing the frequency of EMS bringing in anyone with chest pain, irregardless of the etiology behind it (cardiac vs. other medical vs. trauma) just because they are a STEMI treatment facility.

Id also like to point out there are services across the US are already doing trials and using istats... Rapid Response in Michigan is one example

I haven't got to use the bedside blood gas device personally, as when I am in the ICU my role is not to deal with that, but I will get the dirt on it Thursday.

As do I. But the role I see these diagnostics useful for EMS is not in emergency, but in an extension of primary care. Something many EMS agencies are not eager to embrace.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

The iSTAT has been used on transport for well over 10 years and has passed the testing for FDA approval for out of hospital situations.

There's a little more to it then just treating a couple of numbers and if just for renal patients to determine a K+ level...well it is a renal patient.

There is also the issue with increasing education to meet the demands of labs value treatment plans. Even for ABGs, another stick in the artery would have to be done and then treatment correlation between the other labs before you treat the pH. We do not treat on just an ABG result when it comes to Bicarb. We also rely on mentation more than numbers as to if we intubate. By the time you do the art stick, wait for the results and then think about it, you probably don't know how to recognize respiratory distress. We may have a 7.1 pH but if it is from N/V/D and the patient is alert, no intubation.

The cartridges for the iSTAT are very expensive and sensitive. You will have to take out of the refrigerator what you might need enroute and hope you can use them sometime in the next few hours. You would also have to find a lab for oversight or your company would have to file the paperwork as an independent lab. Very few labs want the responsibility of overseeing EMS with iSTATs and some are reluctant to provide the oversight for flight teams even if they are associated with the hospital. Some lab managers have seen the way the glucometers are treated. Tracking competencies, QA and the QC monitoring can be time consuming and costly. You would also have to attempt to find a way to recover your costs for the lab tests which at this time might be difficult for EMS providers.

For Troponin levels, there are too many things that can also give fale positives. Unless it is truly going to make a difference in your destination, it may be just one more gadget that is costly and that money could be spent elsewhere.

Also, just like the ECGs, the tests will be repeated in the ED. CLIA and a few other agencies want evidence that the blood and technology were properly handled with the proper training and competencies readily available. This is why prehospital blood draws have been frowned upon. Few EMS agencies want to do meet the standards required.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, just like the ECGs, the tests will be repeated in the ED. CLIA and a few other agencies want evidence that the blood and technology were properly handled with the proper training and competencies readily available. This is why prehospital blood draws have been frowned upon. Few EMS agencies want to do meet the standards required.
Not necessarily; same as bypassing the ER with a STEMI, if the troponin level was elevated it could potentially be cause to go to the cath lab even if there were no ecg changes. But, I can see it going the other way and the pt being evaluated in the ER as well. This would probably be a good time to use FLEMTP's idea about talking to each hospital before hand to find out how high a troponin level they would be concerned about.

As things currently are, the place where an iSTAT would have the most difference would be an area with longer transport times, as well as still having the option of going to several hospitals. For inside a city there is still a use for it I think, but not as much.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
As things currently are, the place where an iSTAT would have the most difference would be an area with longer transport times, as well as still having the option of going to several hospitals. For inside a city there is still a use for it I think, but not as much.

An MI is just one situation where a patient might require the services of a cardiac center. There are many other reasons which may not show a positive troponin or ECG. Are you going to divert or bypass a cardiac center when the patient is having chest pain that can not be immediately diagnosed just based on the troponin or ECG?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
An MI is just one situation where a patient might require the services of a cardiac center. There are many other reasons which may not show a positive troponin or ECG. Are you going to divert or bypass a cardiac center when the patient is having chest pain that can not be immediately diagnosed just based on the troponin or ECG?
Probably. But then I'm just a dumb ol' paramedic and don't know any better. (trust me, that was SARCASM).

It's not so much the issue of NOT going to a cardiac center, but going TO a cardiac center with someone who is otherwise not presenting as a cardiac patient, as well as having another piece of information that can be presented to a hospital to, hopefully, get them ready to appropriately and rapidly treat the patient.

There would need to be quite a bit of training and education on how to use and interpret the results before a system could appropriately use something like the iSTAT, as well as interfacing with various hospitals. If used right, it's another tool that could help with care. But, if used wrong, then it definitely has the potential to cause harm to some patients and create problems.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
Not necessarily; same as bypassing the ER with a STEMI, if the troponin level was elevated it could potentially be cause to go to the cath lab even if there were no ecg changes. But, I can see it going the other way and the pt being evaluated in the ER as well. This would probably be a good time to use FLEMTP's idea about talking to each hospital before hand to find out how high a troponin level they would be concerned about.
I would be concerned about any troponin raise, particularly the 12hr peak value, but I would (and could only) evaluate that in view of their history, renal function and septic screen.

The only real difference I can see it making to EMTs is loading with asp, clop and possibly LMWH if it's positive. But I feel that in the absence of a good cardiac history and STE on ECG that the patient needs a formal work-up and evaluation before considering onward transfer for PCI.

However, I appreciate that this may work differently in the states where there are millions of primary PCI centres and they're all want more money.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Things to consider in the U.S.:

Only 50% of the U.S. ALS EMS services have 12-Lead ECG capability and these services may have them on only 75% of their trucks. (AHA reference)

Less than that have ETCO2 monitors. But then there are also studies coming out which if you just followed the ILS guidelines for ETCO2 and not realize all the factors that influence the relationship of PaCO2 and ETCO2, the numbers will not represent the goal your want to achieve.

(The Utility of Early End-Tidal Capnography in Monitoring Ventilation Status After Severe Injury: Warner KJ, Cuschieri J, Garland D, et al. J Trauma 2009;66:26–31)

There will also be many lab values which you won't treat because they are expected and may be be normal for certain disease processes. Just seeing on set of numbers without a broader diagnostic differential will be misleading and some may be inclined to "spot" treat by correcting one number only to fail to see its relationship with many other values.

The iSTAT is used in many prehospital situations to confirm what you may already suspect. For most, it will not change what you do or are capable of doing. If the patient has chest pain, with or without the iSTAT you will probably being going to the most appropriate facility. If you are staying on scene for 20 minutes for a lab value, which may be inconclusive, to tell you which direction to head for whatever hospital, you probably aren't doing that patient much good. You might even be using the iSTAT to make up for any lack in your own confidence or assessment ability. More expensive gadgets will not make up for whatever deficiencies that already exist.

While you might think you are able to work with expanded protocols, there are many services that are not ready. Anybody remember some of the issues with RSI and how it was attempted by services that probably should be doing more than BLS airways?

The same issues again would come about which include medical oversight and competency training both initial and maintenance. Again, let's look at something that was the pride of EMS which is intubation. Poor initial training and failure of the agencies to oversee the competency levels have put that one skill in the spotlight.

Of course there is the cost. You may have to justify an additional $500 - $1500 fee attached to an already expensive ambulance bill especially if POC testing may be done on almost everyone which it might be only because some can.

These same issues also prevent many hospitals from doing POC testing. While many of the major EDs do have this capability as do some progressive smaller EDs, that number is not growing rapidly nor is the iSTAT's use on many CCT or Flight teams. Unless you have a great distance to cover, it probably won't change anything you do or your destination as determined by a good assessment.

Finally, the U.S. still has not established a minimum education level for the Paramedic with even a college level A&P. Some still only have the A&P out of Nancy Caroline's book. Unless all of your Paramedics received the same high calibre education, you will still have those with a 3 month cert from a PDQ medic mill to deal with. It will be a long time before the iSTAT will be on every fire truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
Things to consider in the U.S.:

Only 50% of the U.S. ALS EMS services have 12-Lead ECG capability and these services may have them on only 75% of their trucks. (AHA reference)

Less than that have ETCO2 monitors. But then there are also studies coming out which if you just followed the ILS guidelines for ETCO2 and not realize all the factors that influence the relationship of PaCO2 and ETCO2, the numbers will not represent the goal your want to achieve.

(The Utility of Early End-Tidal Capnography in Monitoring Ventilation Status After Severe Injury: Warner KJ, Cuschieri J, Garland D, et al. J Trauma 2009;66:26–31)

There will also be many lab values which you won't treat because they are expected and may be be normal for certain disease processes. Just seeing on set of numbers without a broader diagnostic differential will be misleading and some may be inclined to "spot" treat by correcting one number only to fail to see its relationship with many other values.

The iSTAT is used in many prehospital situations to confirm what you may already suspect. For most, it will not change what you do or are capable of doing. If the patient has chest pain, with or without the iSTAT you will probably being going to the most appropriate facility. If you are staying on scene for 20 minutes for a lab value, which may be inconclusive, to tell you which direction to head for whatever hospital, you probably aren't doing that patient much good. You might even be using the iSTAT to make up for any lack in your own confidence or assessment ability. More expensive gadgets will not make up for whatever deficiencies that already exist.

While you might think you are able to work with expanded protocols, there are many services that are not ready. Anybody remember some of the issues with RSI and how it was attempted by services that probably should be doing more than BLS airways?

The same issues again would come about which include medical oversight and competency training both initial and maintenance. Again, let's look at something that was the pride of EMS which is intubation. Poor initial training and failure of the agencies to oversee the competency levels have put that one skill in the spotlight.

Of course there is the cost. You may have to justify an additional $500 - $1500 fee attached to an already expensive ambulance bill especially if POC testing may be done on almost everyone which it might be only because some can.

These same issues also prevent many hospitals from doing POC testing. While many of the major EDs do have this capability as do some progressive smaller EDs, that number is not growing rapidly nor is the iSTAT's use on many CCT or Flight teams. Unless you have a great distance to cover, it probably won't change anything you do or your destination as determined by a good assessment.

Finally, the U.S. still has not established a minimum education level for the Paramedic with even a college level A&P. Some still only have the A&P out of Nancy Caroline's book. Unless all of your Paramedics received the same high calibre education, you will still have those with a 3 month cert from a PDQ medic mill to deal with. It will be a long time before the iSTAT will be on every fire truck.

good post

FFMedic75

Forum Crew Member
I think what can and should be done is very dependent on the situation. For example a patient with Abd trauma should be obviously transported as rapidly as possible to the nearest Trauma Center, but lets consider a patient having an anaphylactic reaction. A paramedic in most locations can administer every treatment which can be delivered in the ED. So why should some extra time not be taken to allow for immediate treatment of the patient's condition. Immediate treatment could prevent complications if administered immediately. Most of us are able to work while moving, however some situations warrant immediate treatment in the patient's living room. A good rule of thumb, if you can immediately give definitive care or need to do something to stop a patient from dying in the next 5 minutes stop and do it. If your patient is critically ill or injured and you cannot give definitive care transport them immediately and get done what you can in route to the ED. If the patient is stable and legitimately in need of care take the time to do the extra things that to improve the situation (i.e. give pain meds to a patient with a fracture prior to attempting to move them.).

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I would be concerned about any troponin raise, particularly the 12hr peak value, but I would (and could only) evaluate that in view of their history, renal function and septic screen.

The only real difference I can see it making to EMTs is loading with asp, clop and possibly LMWH if it's positive. But I feel that in the absence of a good cardiac history and STE on ECG that the patient needs a formal work-up and evaluation before considering onward transfer for PCI.

However, I appreciate that this may work differently in the states where there are millions of primary PCI centres and they're all want more money.
Sure. I agree that if troponin was the only thing elevated it might not be the best idea to head directly to a cath lab; this would be something that would need to looked into before using a piece of equipment like that. I think what it comes down to is that, like everything we use, there can be a use for it prehospital, but it needs to be used correctly, and people need to be able to interpret the results correctly.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Completely dependant upon the call.