Travelling paramedics?

Jakesr4f7

Forum Ride Along
I guess I should start off by saying that I'm not sure if there even -is- such a thing as a travelling paramedic. Though, I'm pretty sure I've heard of something like it.

Basically, you work for a particular company which has you work various 6 month contracts (for example) in different parts of the country. As an example, I'd work in LA for a few months until the contract ran out and then I'd get relocated to Colorado or something.

Has anybody heard of such a thing? Better yet, does anybody here do something like this? Any info about it?

P.S. This is my first post here. I'm Jake, nice to meet you :)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't heard of that for paramedics but I have a friend who works as a Physicians Assistant in a system like that. He is basically contracted labor working through an agency that places him. I would be really surprised to hear that a paramedic can travel like that between agencies, there are so many different protocols to work under. Sounds like the liability would be huge.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
If you have that in mind, the best place to head for is RN school. It will be way worth the extra time and caca you have to put up with. Paramedic is largely a county-by-county certification process.

There are lots of agencies that do just that for RNs and the state of the industry (Baby-boomers circling the drain) is such that in four or five years you'll get to be as fluid as you want to be, wherever you want to be. That is a route of exploration that allows you to do it in comfort.

Good luck!

Just noticed Dissassociative posted this link about RN possibilities

http://discovernursing.com/nursing-careers

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Welcome Jake!

There are many traveling opportunities for all health care professions except for EMTs and Paramedics. Even as strike workers there are several opportunities for RNs and the allied health professionals. Occasionally, during a strike, outside EMS workers can be brought in.

Reasons why hospitals are willing to pay serious money for travelers: reimbursible services offered by these professionals for which the hospital depends on. And, there are legal standards for staffing in areas such as California for the RNs' nurse to patient ratio mandate by legislation.

An RN or RRT can cost the hospital anywhere from $50 - $150/hour easily depending on the cost of living and wages for the area. This fee is charged by the agency that contracts the professionals. From that fee, the professional's wage, housing and travel expenses are paid. The rest goes to the agency. Since traveling has become so popular and competitive, hospitals now just open bids for the agencies to compete in placing their professionals.

Unioins hate travelers because as "temps" they can be exempt from paying union dues even in a closed shop if the contract is less then 6 months.

The staff workers may resent the traveler because of a no cancel clause. The staff member may be canceled to accomondate a traveler's schedule.

The staff workers also my dislike their chances for OT are reduced.

The staff workers also don't like the fact that the travelers make nearly or the same (sometimes more) in wage plus all their expenses are paid. And, every 13 weeks (average length of contract) the traveler can re-negotiate for more money while the staff worker is at the mercy of the hospital for their raise.

So in some places, you could be welcomed with open arms by the staff as a needed relief or you could be treated like an outsider (which you are) and have your life at work made very miserable. But, if you have a "traveler mentality", you don't care. It's only 13 weeks, expenses are paid and you are working in paradise (hopefully).

The staff workers finally decide to join the travelers, thus the hospital loses staff. In many areas such as California there is no longer the "distance" requirement to be considered a traveler. They are now just contract workers. So, you can be staff at one hospital and contract at another if you are energetic and greedy enough.

And yes for liability/training/competency requirements, some travelers may be assigned to non-critical areas. RNs can still work in the ICUs but their acuity may be less in some places. RRT jobs that require many skills or protocols at the ICU level will only use travelers for med-surg positions.

OP
OP
J

Jakesr4f7

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the responses, guys. That answers my question.

Another question, somewhat related then. Let's say I get my certification in one state and move to another a year or so later.

Would I have to be recertified for that state? Would this require me to retake classes/exams or is it an easier process?

I'm sure that it depends on the state, so what's typical and what's a worst-case-scenario?

Thanks again. I'm just getting into the game, so to speak. I'm planning on applying for EMT-basic school and I need to straighten some things out in my mind.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The site at the link below gives you information on every state with their cerification and licensing requirements including reciprocity. Some data may be out of date and EMS magazine just recently published an update. However, this site includes links to all the state agencies also.

http://www.emsresponder.com/survey/

This is also an interesting link for those that don't believe there are 46 (or is it 48?) different EMS certifications and licenses.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Like to clarify some things as well. There is much difference in Traveling Nurses and those that cover strikes.

There is a reason EMT's and Paramedics cannot travel from one site to another per say. Again, it goes back to education. Unfortunately, we have no set standards, and again no standardized test. We also have to many multiple letters and levels...

Travel nursing is usually used in locations where staffing is hard to fill or overwhelmed. My girlfriend stopped being a Flightnurse to start travel nursing. The pay was nearly triple and being able to work in different areas were unique. Most sign on for at least a 13 week tour, with benefits of housing, bonus, etc... Again, this is not the same as "scab" during strikes, which is usually shorter assignments.

I have recently considered returning back to nursing full time in travel nursing. The pay is definitely attractive, and fortunately with my credentials can name the town and area I want to work at.

My personal recommendation is to attend a accredited EMS college Paramedic program, then become NREMT/P certified if one wants to have the ability to "move" about. Having such background would usually ensure the ability to take the local, state test in the desired area.

Good luck,

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Like to clarify some things as well. There is much difference in Traveling Nurses and those that cover strikes.

R/r 911

Strike workers make an obscene amount of money for a very short period of time. Sutter Health RNs have just been on strike for the 2nd time in two months in the SF Bay area. The nurses from the "South" have no problem with an expense paid vacation and a salary for 3 - 4 days work that is double a month's salary in Florida and with a nurse:patient ratio that is 1/3 of that in the South.

If the nurses are strike labor, I don't really consider them "scabs" because patients still need to be taken care of. In that respect, it is hard to compare a strike at a coal mine versus a hospital. The patients are inconvenienced as it is because they may be shipped by ambulance to another hospital further from their family or home for staffing reasons and not for a health care specialty reason.

Unfortunately, the RRTs are not always union and I don't always get to cash in on the really big money for a few days work. But, I can travel to just about anywhere if I so desired as a traveling RRT.

Anyway, off topic.

Jake, I just had another thought!

There might be seasonal work at various ambulance services in "snowbird" communities where the population can double or triple. I know we used to add a few extra trucks from November to April in Florida to accommodate the snowbirds. I honestly don't know if that is still a practice or if they just run the existing staff thin. Other snowbird states such as Arizona or mountain/ski resorts may hire "seasonal" paramedics. I do know a Paramedic that works with a rescue unit at a ski resort in Northern California for a few months. There may also be opportunities at Summer camps. Some industrial sites that can work only seasonally might also hire paramedics. I have heard of this in Alaska. You might be able to work 6 months in the North and 6 months in the South. There may be some unique opportunities that can be found with a little effort. However, the opportunities might not come with all the perks a "traveler" is offered.

Get back in touch after you have followed Rid's educational plan.

Good luck, Jake.

And good luck to you too Rid if you join the travelers. I have a few friends who have been traveling for over 10 years and have no plans to stop in the near future. I also have a few friends that do the cross country commute for a few days work at San Francisco wages and then back home for the rest of the month.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Strike workers make an obscene amount of money for a very short period of time. Sutter Health RNs have just been on strike for the 2nd time in two months in the SF Bay area. The nurses from the "South" have no problem with an expense paid vacation and a salary for 3 - 4 days work that is double a month's salary in Florida and with a nurse:patient ratio that is 1/3 of that in the South.

If the nurses are strike labor, I don't really consider them "scabs" because patients still need to be taken care of. In that respect, it is hard to compare a strike at a coal mine versus a hospital. The patients are inconvenienced as it is because they may be shipped by ambulance to another hospital further from their family or home for staffing reasons and not for a health care specialty reason.

Unfortunately, the RRTs are not always union and I don't always get to cash in on the really big money for a few days work. But, I can travel to just about anywhere if I so desired as a traveling RRT.

Anyway, off topic.

Jake, I just had another thought!

There might be seasonal work at various ambulance services in "snowbird" communities where the population can double or triple. I know we used to add a few extra trucks from November to April in Florida to accommodate the snowbirds. I honestly don't know if that is still a practice or if they just run the existing staff thin. Other snowbird states such as Arizona or mountain/ski resorts may hire "seasonal" paramedics. I do know a Paramedic that works with a rescue unit at a ski resort in Northern California for a few months. There may also be opportunities at Summer camps. Some industrial sites that can work only seasonally might also hire paramedics. I have heard of this in Alaska. You might be able to work 6 months in the North and 6 months in the South. There may be some unique opportunities that can be found with a little effort. However, the opportunities might not come with all the perks a "traveler" is offered.

Get back in touch after you have followed Rid's educational plan.

Good luck, Jake.

And good luck to you too Rid if you join the travelers. I have a few friends who have been traveling for over 10 years and have no plans to stop in the near future. I also have a few friends that do the cross country commute for a few days work at San Francisco wages and then back home for the rest of the month.

Sorry, but if they cross the line, they are scabs! Just as there are patients to treat, there are passengers to fly, and there are automotive customers to satisfy. In other words, there are customers that need satisfaction. Healthcare is no different than any other industry in this regard. If people are so worried about their patients, then they shouldn't strike in the first place. Seems rather hypocritical to me. I am very much against any organized union when it comes to healthcare and am fortunate enough to not have to deal with any. If you are not satisfied with what you've got and you get no resolve from higher powers that be, then move on. If your nurse, you definately have that mobility option with the current state of the industry.

Here in Houston we have an EMS "staffing agency" that supplies EMT's and Paramedics to local ER's and to some private transfer companies. But none of the 911 services want anything to do with it, too much liability. Plus they charge a questionable "membership fee" to participate in their service. I guess if you are looking for a couple extra bucks to work for some crap service, then it would work. I just don't see any reputable EMS service taking on an outsider to run one of their trucks....................