Traumatic arrest survives to ROSC and discharge

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I know a lot of us have grown very skeptical over working prehospital cardiac arrest secondary to blunt trauma. We have all seen the less than 2% survival rates.

My teacher had a save the other day. Lady hits a lamp post at very high speeds and fellow motorist calls 911 (early detection), and is found by PD to be pulseless and apneic. Police start CPR immediately (early BLS). Paramedics (my teacher and partner) arrive and actually find a shockable rhythm (early defib and advanced care). Patient is transported to the trauma center and arrest is determined to be caused my accident and not medical etiology. Patient regains consciousness and walks (is wheeled out) of hospital with no neuro deficits.

Is this exceedingly rare in your experiences? I was amazed and inspired. Someone was looking out for this lady. Side note, the patient was the mother of another crew member on my teacher's particular ambulance service.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
You may find this amazing, but from experience, most educators have had miraculous save including those from blunt force trauma. They are less than 1%, usually not that severe in the trauma area.

Before we go on, think about why a person arrests from blunt force trauma. Use your education to work out what multi system failure occurs, even with early, effective CPR.

To avoid being criticized, you will always try, unless they have obvious injuries that are incompatable with life. But all the while, you know it will be unlikley

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Some days the stars align.

emt1994

Forum Probie
Well its good to know that some have the luck of it working just right for them unfort. It doesnt work for us all no matter how hard we try but its good to know it can happen.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Get a box, write it down, save it. Then from now on, do the same for every one you really know of. Then in five years, see how many you have.....

R/r 911