transitioning from EMT to Medic

firecoins

IFT Puppet
What is the hardest thing in transitioning from EMT to Medic? I am looking once I finish my BLS course to go into the Medic class if only because I did BLS for for several years up to 2002.

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
The hardest thing is probably the long hours of ER time, ride time, study time... it does take up a lot of time but it sure is worth it when your finished!!
Just study what your told and you should breeze through it

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hardest part is keeping focused that .. Yes, you need to know all that stuff they teach, and yes you will use it some day.

There is no black & white treatment and difficulties, life is gray and mixture of a little of all things.

Good luck,
R/r 911

futuretoledoemt

Forum Crew Member
What is the hardest thing in transitioning from EMT to Medic? I am looking once I finish my BLS course to go into the Medic class if only because I did BLS for for several years up to 2002.

I can only attest to the differences between a basic and a medic course. Or rather, what life is like when you're enrolled in a good medic program.

I'm a little more than half way through the 13 month long program. And I LOVE it. It's very hard work, it's constant studying, constant review, ER time, OR time, specialty time, third ride time, and repeat. Over and over. It's more than just studying the books, it's looking things up outside of the book, it's asking questions, it's trying really hard to not feel stupid when you screw something up royally. It's a little bit of terror when you realize that you might actually have a "license to kill" as your instructor might tell you repeatedly. It's sitting at work with drug cards, constantly quizzing yourself and wondering what it's going to be like when you are actually let loose with all of this information. It's turning down a night out with your friends for the umpteenth time because you have a cardiology test coming up in two weeks.

I'm not trying to sound dramatic about it all. This is what it's like for me. I'm stressed, I'm tired, and my nose is constantly in a book, looking at flash cards, or doing something class related. I look at as my responsibility. If this is something I'm going to do, if having a Paramedic badge is something I'm going to be trusted with, then I'll be studying until I decide I dont want to do the job anymore. I'm sure there will always be something to learn more about.
The good medics I know tell me that studying doesn't end when the class does. And I'm a firm believer in that.

A lot of my coworkers have started calling me "Para-god-wanna-be". I dont know what they're basing this on... If me wanting to be a good medic by studying my butt off, questioning why things are done a certain way (not in front of a patient, of course), and believing that good BLS leads to good ALS, then maybe I am.

It's the most fun I've ever had, and it's fascinating to learn why you're doing something and why a certain disease or injury causes someone to feel a certain way as opposed to just following a cookbook.

Anyway, i'm babbling. Sleep deprived and all that. Good luck to you, if you do choose to go into a medic program, be prepared to study like you've never studied before, be prepared to be a little bit of a stranger to your family...

I hope this makes sense, I really am pretty much delirious :)

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I'd say that the biggest thing about going from BLS to ALS is learning to think as an ALS provider. You start to look at things a little differently... you learn to disect things out...you are not just picking up your patients and transporting to the ER anymore, you are now going in depth and agressivly treating the problem so that hopefully your problem is pretty close to being fixed on your way in. No longer are you just "assisting" ALS providers, you are the ALS provider and with that comes great responsability and liability. You have just become the one responsable for what happends on the scene and in the truck. If you worked BLS for years before, then I am sure that you have a good understanding of what to do when. Now you will know more about what to do and why along with the hows. There is alot that you will learn in class that you will only need for passing registry, while there is so much more you will learn during your ride time that is priceless. My best advice to you is... learn all you can, run as much as you can with GOOD medics, and make it your goal to be better than they are. Know your stuff, and don't be afraid to do what you know. Follow your gut. Treat your patient not the machine. Once you have learned and gotten comfortable with your skills you will be called cocky, intimidating and so on. Remember, there is a fine line between cocky and confident. Never get too cocky, and let your confidence make you better. It's not such a bad thing to be called intimidating, that only shows that you know what you are doing and who ever you are with wants to be that good, but don't go into overkill. That's about all I have. It should be a natural transition as you learn new skills and get comfortable with your skills. And for God's sake never let a Sr. provider or the patient see you sweat! Good luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator: