Toying with....

bikebum1975

Forum Ride Along
Hi Folks
I came across the site on google today I haven't started any training yet just been looking into becoming an EMT basic. Jut seeing what is involved in it right at the moment but I am really liking it so far. I will be reading up on it more now that I found this site. Looks like a good site so far. Any tips any of you can offer me would be of great help thanks.
Jim

allvitals09

Forum Crew Member
The biggest thing for me is listening to the more experienced EMT's and medics. Some of the little tips that they show or explain really help a lot.

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
Hey Jim, I'm not too prevalent on this site, but I'll just start the welcoming for everyone ^_^. A website that I was positively addicted to before my class started was www.emtb.com and it was actually an affiliate site to the book my class used, so I was ahead of the game when they told us about it in class. Just look around online, go on youtube, try and expose yourself to as much as you can and it'll really help you for class, I know it helped me. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

juxtin1987

Forum Crew Member
The biggest thing for me is listening to the more experienced EMT's and medics. Some of the little tips that they show or explain really help a lot.

Allvitals point is true, but make sure you can separate their suggestions vs. what the person testing you and signing off on your tests teach (this will make more sense once you get started). I've encountered many problems amongst my study group, myself included, where we bank on what a proctor or other experienced EMS person tells us even if its contradicting the text or teachers approach. Get through the class and retain everything you're taught, but be prepared to throw away things that you're FTO tells you to toss.

As far as what to expect, be prepared to learn is the best i can describe it. And don't just skate through your class and registry, take initiative to learn and retain as much as you can, especially physiology. Knowing how things work make your field decisions and scenario questions easier to digest.

The other suggestion i can make, is volunteering at a local ER before starting your training, even for basic. My study partner, who was outstanding in the practical portion of EMS, just dropped out of our class after doing his externship and getting a taste of "the smell of death". And that's not a typo, death smells, pretty awful in fact.

Best of luck to ya, and you're right in saying this site is a good one, a lot of knowledgeable individuals are on this site regularly and are more than willing to help with anything you need.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Welcome to the site, Jim. It's a good resource.

Ask questions and learn as much as you can. You won't regret it. When you come upon something you don't know, look it up and read up on it!

Eric

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I wish I would have taken A&P before I started. I was really sad when our A&P was over and wished we would have had a bit more detail. And as A&P comes up so very much, for obvious reasons, it's helpful to at least have that base, IMO. Also, when you get to that point, drill patient assessment in to your head and never ever forget it. :) Good luck!

juxtin1987

Forum Crew Member

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Welcome to the site and make use of its archives...there's some really terrific stuff there.

White Fang

Forum Probie
Well jim, I am still in class and I been through several careers in my life and I am 33 married 11 yrs no children just 3 dogs, any way i did some research in my local library my Father was a dentist and he worked for the poor communities, and the same for my mother she was a Social worker. My wife works for DYFS (division of youth family services) at the time I was a Mortgage Broker and Notary public and i choose that path to help those people who couldnt get out of debt nor buy a house...any way my wife was getting way more personal gratification than me and I did not want to become a ER Nurse nor a doctor the bottom line is that I saw a movie called Patch Adams played by Robin Williams (based on a true story) that he wanted to became a doctor and make changes in the medical industry by treating the patient as first name bases and making their wishes come true and not to treat them as case numbers, illnesses, procedures nor last name so that helped me to made my mind I want and going to help those one in need that they will field save and secure around me. i am getting in a profession that will give me personal and spiritual gratification.

I hope that helps you, but you need to feel good on what you would like to become in the future