Too Old...

Sam Pruitt

Forum Ride Along
I'm a retired 22-year veteran of law enforcement. I'm currently working as a security officer at a local medical center. I'm signed up to go through the National EMS Academy in "Spring 2019" here in Louisiana. First for EMT and then for Paramedic.

Question is I'll be 49 years old in May of next year, am I too old?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
There are plenty of medics who stay active into their '60s and beyond. More important than your age are your health and fitness. Any problems with bending, kneeling, lifting, carrying, walking or driving? How's your vision and hearing? Your experience as an LEO would be a plus, to the extent that you're used to managing risk while dealing with people one on one. If you like, PM me and I'll put you in touch with police officers who are also EMS providers.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
No

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Nope. Not to old.

sharpe15

Forum Ride Along
I became a volunteer firefighter at 53 and went to EMT school at 57. The oldest other person in my class was 24, the majority under 21. If you can get past that . . .
Really, the reason I wanted to become an EMT is that I'm probably getting a little long in the tooth for firefighting, but I can always run an engine or a tender, even if I'm not on a hoseline. And I have life experience that makes me (IMHO) a better EMT. I can do this for a long time yet. Go for it.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Not too old. I'm going on 3 years in EMS and will be 69 next month. I work with younger folks, some of whom, could almost be my grandkids. Good group though. Just don't let all the bovine scat about "ya might break your hip" and other assorted ribs get to ya. Give it right back to them.

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
I became an EMT at 49, and a Medic at 53 ... now I'm 56 and having a blast running F/T in a very busy 911 system, and volunteering my off-time in a large and busy volunteer organization. I intend to do this till they pull me off the truck, or I physically can't do it any longer. Many of the providers I run with are literally younger than my kids. I get a little ribbing once in a while when they call me Pop-Pop, but other than that, I get mad respect.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
People will assume you're more knowledgeable and skilled than you actually are tho...gray hair has that benefit (or liability)