Too Much Oxygen? hmmmm

JPINFV

Gadfly
And you should never have taken issue with treat the patient not the monitor, it is a rule taught in every med school, nursing school, and paramedic class ever held. Or it should have been, if your instructor was worth anything.

I'm sorry, my school focuses on clinical decision making, not cliches.

Gecko24

Forum Probie
Sigh Okay, I guess you need to get more X's on your sig and finish school. The we could talk.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sigh Okay, I guess you need to get more X's on your sig and finish school. The we could talk.

What you have a problem with the concept that sometimes you need to (grimaces at quoting Ayn Rand), "Check your premises?"

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I've mentioned this before, but "treat the patient not the monitor" is one of my pet peeves. Yes, monitors have to be clinically correlated, and if they don't as JPINFV noted it needs to be investigated further. As he also noted, if we are supposed to have an inate bias against them, why do we lug the damn things around?

"Treat the patient not the monitor" is simply one more cliche aimed at propping up weak paramedics who didn't have enough clinical education to learn how to integrate diagnostics into their decision making process. It belongs in the same crap pile as "Lidocaine numbs the heart" and "Intubation is the gold standard".

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Go do some research on the actual epidemiology of RoP and report back.

Yes, please do good sir, here .... *blind Brown pulls Brown's eyes out and hands them over, use these.

And you should never have taken issue with treat the patient not the monitor, it is a rule taught in every med school, nursing school, and paramedic class ever held. Or it should have been, if your instructor was worth anything.

Meaning what exactly? If Nana with symptoms is having a massive bloody tombstone MI on 12 lead then thats OK?

DitchDoctorGabe

Forum Probie
Go do some research on the actual epidemiology of RoP and report back.

I do not transport neonates that fit in a box, as far as what you asked me to do I have read up in it. I may be reading your post and another persons post wrong but I figured since you are a respiratory therapist you share some insight on this. From what I've read oxygen can contribute to the development of RoP. Any additional input on this?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I do not transport neonates that fit in a box, as far as what you asked me to do I have read up in it. I may be reading your post and another persons post wrong but I figured since you are a respiratory therapist you share some insight on this. From what I've read oxygen can contribute to the development of RoP. Any additional input on this?

ROP develops because of hyperoxic constriction of the arterioles and capillaries in the retinal tissue causing ischaemic growth of necrotic scar tissue. Very premature newborns usually require aggressive management because of underveloped respiratory systems - in partic Type II cells in the alveoli (surfactant) which in the past has included cramming a ton of 100% oxygen down their gob.

We now no longer rely on soley on PaO2/ABG as was common in years gone by thanks to the advent of such gadgets as SPO2 and are able to titrate oxygen therapy much better

Blind Brown
26 weeks - 900g
10/86