TO NR or not to NR

scottyb

Forum Crew Member
Well I just finished my NYS EMT-B course and awaiting my certification card so I can actually perform as an EMT-B. I was wondering if I should do the NR. I am kind of debating it. On the plus, I have the possibility to move in the next couple of years, maybe out of state, so it might be beneficial.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure most states with allow me to convert over with their reciprocity agreement, so I will probably not need the NR.

But, I would like to be the most possible qualified as possible.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
That is one good reason. Some employers require it, even if the state they are in does not.

NR is a nice equalizer. It is a standard that everyone can relate to, unlike the various state standards. And in several states, it does make reciprocity a LOT easier, cutting through the bureaucracy of trying to get school transcripts and such.

You also get CE credits for taking the NR exam, so that's a plus.

But the very best reason to take NR is to challenge yourself. That's what a truly professional provider does. Test yourself against the known, national standard. See if you are as good as you think you are. Get it behind you and be proud of passing instead of always wondering and worrying about how you would do. Then you have the confidence of knowing that you passed not just one, but two examinations verifying your competency. It's a great feeling, and one that is certainly worth the money.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Why not? You haven't given a reason not to. I did 2 years after my initial cert. I live in MA and we don't even use the NR. There is a possiblity that I will move out of State, but that is not certain. I just really want it, and I got it. Plus the test was easy, and I was out of my school for 2 yrs.

reaper

Working Bum
Well I just finished my NYS EMT-B course and awaiting my certification card so I can actually perform as an EMT-B. I was wondering if I should do the NR. I am kind of debating it. On the plus, I have the possibility to move in the next couple of years, maybe out of state, so it might be beneficial.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure most states with allow me to convert over with their reciprocity agreement, so I will probably not need the NR.

Most states require it to even get reciprocity. Some will give you a provisional state card and you have so much time to get NREMT. Why not do it now, why it is fresh in your mind and not worry about it later?

OP
OP
scottyb

scottyb

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for all the good advice guys. You have convinced me to do it. I like the idea of challenging myself and kind of validating I know my stuff. Thanks again for sharing your opinions.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Do it.

Good luck.