To be or not to be a medic.....decisions decisions decisions

Francisco

Forum Crew Member
I been an EMT for quite a while and I recently got accepted to the Paramedic class but I'm starting to get a couple second thoughts of whether or not to go through the course since its pricy and tough. What are the pros and cons of becoming a paramedic ? Need some advice guys

OP
OP
Francisco

Francisco

Forum Crew Member
What are your long term career goals?

Possibly become a flight medic or a critical care medic but I'm just getting those second thoughts because it's a really big step forward and I want to know if it's actually worth all the stress of going through the course

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This is a no brainier if you want a career in EMS or a related field.

Get your Paramedic cert.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Possibly become a flight medic or a critical care medic but I'm just getting those second thoughts because it's a really big step forward and I want to know if it's actually worth all the stress of going through the course
It's about as small of a step as you could take towards an actual career. if you're unsure, go work as a basic for a bit.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I want to know if it's actually worth all the stress of going through the course

...you are this concerned with the stress just from medic school, but have you thought about the stress associated with working as a paramedic?

OP
OP
Francisco

Francisco

Forum Crew Member
...you are this concerned with the stress just from medic school, but have you thought about the stress associated with working as a paramedic?
I've worked 911 for a while already but I'm saying is it worth all the stress because school no matter what it is your doing career wise is stressful

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Is medic school as bad as everyone says it is ?
Difficulty is relative. Some people think paramedic school is a walk in the park, while others struggle so badly that they fail out of the course. Only you could have a realistic idea of how you'll perform. I will say if you found EMT exceptionally difficult (not saying that you did), it's a safe bet that paramedic will be also.

OP
OP
Francisco

Francisco

Forum Crew Member
Difficulty is relative. Some people think paramedic school is a walk in the park, while others struggle so badly that they fail out of the course. Only you could have a realistic idea of how you'll perform. I will say if you found EMT exceptionally difficult (not saying that you did), it's a safe bet that paramedic will be also.
Very well, In EMT school I did excellent I got the highest score on the final and I did great throughout the class but I've hear soooooo many stories from medics that class is SUPER hard and that most people fail out

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If most people fail out, then that falls heavily on the program and instructors. Find a better program. The program I teach at has a 90-95% first time pass rate, and will only have somebody not pass on the 2nd/3rd attempt once every couple of years. We do tend to have 6 to 8 fail out at the conclusion of the first semester (out of a class of 30-35), but that's hardly most people. Those students tend to have very poor study habits and struggle from the beginning.

OP
OP
Francisco

Francisco

Forum Crew Member
If most people fail out, then that falls heavily on the program and instructors. Find a better program. The program I teach at has a 90-95% first time pass rate, and will only have somebody not pass on the 2nd/3rd attempt once every couple of years. We do tend to have 6 to 8 fail out at the conclusion of the first semester (out of a class of 30-35), but that's hardly most people. Those students tend to have very poor study habits and struggle from the beginning.
I'm going to check on the passing rate of the program, is it ok if I direct message you for further advice since your an instructor

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
There are many other regular posters here that are just as experienced as I am, and many others that are more so, but you're certainly welcome to PM me with questions.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't imagine staying at the entry level of any job for an entire career; if I was having second thoughts about being a medic, that would mean I was questioning being in EMS at all.

Life is too easy when you have no responsibility; I would die from boredom.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief

What other options are you weighing? Nursing, PA, MD/DO, something outside of healthcare, etc? Or are you considering becoming a 30-year EMT-B?

Tony Ippolito

Forum Probie
I have this dilemma as my career goal is law enforcement, but I love emergency medicine. I know it's not easy to merge the two. I figure I'll go for medic school.
LE runs on the pers system here so 20 year retirement, so I can practice before and after and part time in between.

OP
OP
Francisco

Francisco

Forum Crew Member
What other options are you weighing? Nursing, PA, MD/DO, something outside of healthcare, etc? Or are you considering becoming a 30-year EMT-B?
I wanted to go from Medic to PA but that's why I'm thinking if I should just go straight for PA

Tony Ippolito

Forum Probie
I wanted to go from Medic to PA but that's why I'm thinking if I should just go straight for PA
Do you have a 4 year degree? PA is tough. My girlfriend is trying to get into programs right now. 4.0 gpa and loads of EMT and drug/alcohol rehab experience and much more. And she isn't having good luck. I say anything to set yourself apart if you want to go that route.
But don't get your medic license if you don't plan to at least practice a few years. Doesn't seem worth it in that sense.