Tips to avoid 'swine flu'

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I got this email from my grandfather, someone sent it to him. Thought it was kind of funny and wanted to share.

What advice for avoiding sickness or just bad medical advice have you gotten?

I remember being told when I was pregnant if I held my pee it would backwash into the amniotic fluid and kill my baby. That one still takes the cake to this day.

Prevent Swine Flu - Good Advice

The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps can be practiced

1. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water or Listerine. *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive, and powerful preventative method.

2. Blow the nose hard once a day and swab both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water. This is very effective in bringing down viral population.

3. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamins C and D. If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

4. Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

I suggest you pass this on to your entire e-list. You never know who might pay attention to it -- and STAY ALIVE because of it.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Too bad that those 4 tips don't work.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/swineflu/prevent.asp

People who get their medical advice from chain emails need to be smacked with a dead herring.

Consider yourself grateful to have avoided my grandfathers chain mail forwarding during the election. :wacko:

(ETA: wanted to be clear when I posted I knew those things didn't work ;) Just found the "tips" amusing and wanted to share the humor in it)

Griff

Forum Crew Member

fbsemssocial

Forum Probie
Prevent

Wash your hands allot, don't do what that email said and be careful of who your in contact with.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Too bad that those 4 tips don't work.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/swineflu/prevent.asp

People who get their medical advice from chain emails need to be smacked with a dead herring.

You got, from that page, evidence that those four tips do not work?

I saw nothing on that page to indicate that they've been proven ineffective. They haven't yet been proven effective, but that's not quite the same thing :) I use a neti pot twice a day and I haven't been ill in years. Obviously, anecdote /= facts or evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm overweight, eat crap, and live a generally sedentary lifestyle. The last time I was sick enough to miss school or work was 6 years ago when I was a senior in high school. Ergo, eating crap, being overweight, and being sedentary is a way to prevent infections?

Sorry, but I wouldn't be taking my health advice through an email that cites absolutely zero evidence. In my link, at the very least the physician at the end clearly indicates that there's absolutely no evidence that shows that any of those 'tricks' work.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm overweight, eat crap, and live a generally sedentary lifestyle. The last time I was sick enough to miss school or work was 6 years ago when I was a senior in high school. Ergo, eating crap, being overweight, and being sedentary is a way to prevent infections?
At least you're honest ;-)

Sorry, but I wouldn't be taking my health advice through an email that cites absolutely zero evidence. In my link, at the very least the physician at the end clearly indicates that there's absolutely no evidence that shows that any of those 'tricks' work.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots

Nothing, specifically, about "swine flu". However, I feel that it's part of a healthy lifestyle and it surely prevents dried, cracked mucous membranes that could be susceptible to infection.

JPINFV

Gadfly
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots

Nothing, specifically, about "swine flu". However, I feel that it's part of a healthy lifestyle and it surely prevents dried, cracked mucous membranes that could be susceptible to infection.

...and those have, what, to do with...

Gargle twice a day with warm salt water or Listerine. *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive, and powerful preventative method.

2. Blow the nose hard once a day and swab both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water. This is very effective in bringing down viral population.

3. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamins C and D. If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

4. Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

I'll accept the concept that anything that maintains the integrity of the epithelium (including, but not limited to skin and respiratory passages) exposed to the outside helps to prevent infection. Gargling, forceful sneezing followed by swabbing, vitamin supplements, and warm liquids, on the other hand, does not fit that bill.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I am with JP, OP's quoted advice is hogwash. (no offense to the OP).

Wash your hands, cover your mouth with your arm when you cough and sneeze, and stay home if your sick. Get the vaccine asap. Take precautions including masks and gloves when dealing with patients with flu symptoms. Make sure your employer is telling employees to stay at home if sick.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I am with JP, OP's quoted advice is hogwash. (no offense to the OP).

Wash your hands, cover your mouth with your arm when you cough and sneeze, and stay home if your sick. Get the vaccine asap. Take precautions including masks and gloves when dealing with patients with flu symptoms. Make sure your employer is telling employees to stay at home if sick.

None taken. But I think the point of my post was missed. I know the post is all bull. I was just sharing because I found it funny and wondered what other bad/amused advice people have received. I'm having a hard time figuring out the tones of the posts. But I can't stress the fun and games of mine enough.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The CDC website is full of information which includes the guidelines health care professionals should be aware of. Hospitals will be following these closely and also expect EMS providers to be providing a safe environment for their patients and staff.

There has already been a few successful battles by health care providers to ensure their employers follow these guidelines.

If you hold a health care certification, it is your responsibility to start informed with the most current information. If you want to believe the flu of any type is BS, get yourself another occupation out of patient care. There are too many patients that can be unnecessarily exposed because you are too ignorant to educate yourself beyond your own selfish agenda.

My comments may sound harsh but I just read some of the stupid comments on the other H1N1 thread and am just horrified, but not surprised, at how some just don't want to be bothered with the responsibilities of being a health care provider.

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
Q: If you're experiencing severs neck pain after tripping and falling on the sidewalk; does that mean you have swine flu?

A: Yes. If, when you fell, you loss consciousness and a pig walked by licked you on the face.