Tips on Handling Patient Situations

rhorton45

Forum Ride Along
Hi,
I was wondering if there are any books available with tips on how to deal with difficult situations in EMS, such as angry family members, dealing with interfering bystanders and general difficult patient situations. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm preparing to take a BPAD for a fire department and would like to prepare as much as possible. (I've never taken one before.) I thought a book like this might help if one is available, but I haven't found anything yet. Thanks.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Try a book called "Verbal Judo: the Art of Gentle Persuasion" by George Thompson. We have all taken the verbal judo class at the Ambulance Corps. It helps in all aspects of life, not just on the ambulance.

You can buy the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...070466?v=glance

And the creator has a business offering classes to law enforcement, healthcare providers, business men, etc. You probably won't have time for that before your test, but here's the link just in case:
http://verbaljudo.org/verbaljudohealthcarecourse.html

Good luck with everything!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to the forum!

As always, rescuecpt offered some great resources. I've added them to my own wish list, and will probably order them the next time I have a itching for books.

I truly believe dealing with people is one of those things you can't learn entirely from a book though. I've learned a lot from my partners who have been in the field a while. As much as I like to read, being an English major and all, I think some things are best learned hands-on.

Nevermind me though, rescuecpt runs the show around here. :D

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Another good course to take is CPI (Crisis Prevention Intervention), which is usually offered by hospitals to their staff members. It was mandatory for all employees at the hospital I worked at.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by MMiz@Oct 29 2004, 01:01 AM
Nevermind me though, rescuecpt runs the show around here. :D
LOL