Tips and tricks for dealing with hearing impairment...

khaysley

Forum Probie
(I don't know if I have this in the right forum or not.. sorry if it not. I'm new to the forums)

So, I have been hearing impaired since I was at least a toddler and I been working in the medical field off and on since I got out of High school back in 2012 as a home health aide. I took CNA in high school and only got my home health aid because I couldn't hear over people talking when I was trying to take someone's blood pressure. (That was the only thing that I failed and I received a 100% on everything else.) I'm supposed to wear a hearing aid in my right ear from the mild hearing loss but I don't because it just makes everything louder and it not any easier to hear. I really want to become a EMT/Paramedic but I'm really afraid that I won't pass my EMT class this fall that's starting August 17th because of my hearing loss. This is a one of my dream job I have wanted to get since I was younger when my dad worked on the fire department for years and had also worked as a EMT for them for a couple weeks till he had to quit because of a surgery on his eyes.

So my question for anyone that has experience with hearing loss and working EMT/Paramedics is how do you work around that hearing loss? Is there anyway to be able to hear better? Maybe a trick that you guys know to be able to do blood pressure better? I know that all employers and colleges have to give you reasonable accommodation for any disability and such but what would they be able to do an regards to this field of work?

I'm pretty smart and hardworking so I really hope that something that I can't help doesn't keeps me from fulfilling a dream of mine. I'm willing to pretty much try anything to be able to succeed.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Amplified stethoscope.

Take charge and tell
People to be quiet while you are listening to bp and lung sounds

OP
OP
khaysley

khaysley

Forum Probie
I never heard of a amplified stethoscope... what are they are? Do they work differently than regular stethoscope?