"Ticker" box/RoadSafety-Do you have them?

Hockey

Quackers
Just wondering how many services out here have "ticker" boxes? I think the name is called DriveSafe...maybe?

For those that don't know what it is, you have a key fob and place it on the little thingy by the steering wheel. It basically monitors your driving and protects you/burns you if you are in an accident. We have "points" here. Like if you turn too sharp (which is a "normal turn" but is too sharp according to the box) it will tick tick tick get faster then beeeeeeeeeeep and you get a point. Same reason if you go over 75. Braking too hard etc etc etc you know

Was just wondering how many services out there have something like this setup?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The correct name of the product is Road Safety.

A note about the parameters of the alarms. They are easy for the owner of the vehicle to modify as needed. Some services have the boxes in the rig as an event data recorder and don't use the speaker system at all... and others require the employee to "sign in" to the rig with a unique electronic key whenever they drive, and even punish the employee for violating polices, like mandatory use of driver's seatbelts and spotters when backing.

It varies as to what the employer is trying to use the equipment for.

I have them at my per-diem job. And I don't mind them at all... I find that after I drive a RoadSafety vehicle, I'm more cognizant of high G-force turns, and almost brace for the RoadSafety "Growl"... even though my normal rig doesn't have a black box!

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
A m r is the only company in this area that I know of that uses them. My company does not and I don't think they plan on it any time soon. One of my co workers requested medics and were sent a m r and both medic jumped in our companies truck and my co worker drove their truck and did everything he could to make it tick

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
MedStar in Texas uses it, and man was that thing touchy on left hand turns. Not right, but left. Plus, got real annoying having to hit the button in the back of the truck whenever we had to back up/

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't have one of those. But our GPS moniters/records speed and the boss can check it on his computer.

Hastings

Noobie
Company has it, but the one in our truck is broken. Has been forever. No one has bothered to fix it.

Thank God.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
We have had them on all of our units until our most recent aquisition of sprinter modules. The new trucks are equipped with Drivecam, which i'm still undecided on. The road safety is not used as a disciplinary item, only for use in accident investigation and driver training.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Company has it, but the one in our truck is broken. Has been forever. No one has bothered to fix it.

Thank God.

No one has bothered to fix it, or no one has bothered to report it? :p

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Road Safety thank you! ;)

Yes we have it for backing up seatbelt etc also

Backing up also works when you shift it into neutral shortly after you gas it in reverse ;)

Darn thing makes you think your a bad driver when it starts beeping and ticking over every small thing...

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey, hockey, just a hint the ticks (aka, growls) aren't bad, they're a warning. Have you ever heard a high tone? now, that's a scary tone....

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Grady what has been your observations with the Drivecam? Does anyone have the backup cams? Do they work well?

We have had them on all of our units until our most recent aquisition of sprinter modules. The new trucks are equipped with Drivecam, which i'm still undecided on. The road safety is not used as a disciplinary item, only for use in accident investigation and driver training.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Back in Michigan all of our units had the Road Safety units, while our "Echo" or first-response SUV units also had DriveCams. In my experiences the DriveCam seemed more like a toy than a useful too. Someone says something bad about the boss, and their partner would hit the DriveCam panic button to make sure it was recorded.

If I was in charge of a service I'd have both units in all of my units.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Grady what has been your observations with the Drivecam? Does anyone have the backup cams? Do they work well?

I have not had my inservice on the new units yet (tues), so I cannot comment. It is the one that basically replaces the rear-view mirror (which I don't like the idea of) and has a camera facing towards the cab, and another facing out through the windshield. We do not have reverse cameras on our regular units. Our NICU unit does have one and it is great!!!

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
So basically everything you do and say will be recorded and it will be like a dashcam?

I have not had my inservice on the new units yet (tues), so I cannot comment. It is the one that basically replaces the rear-view mirror (which I don't like the idea of) and has a camera facing towards the cab, and another facing out through the windshield. We do not have reverse cameras on our regular units. Our NICU unit does have one and it is great!!!

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
We have had them about 8 months. Its annoying at times but it has really impoved some peoples driving. Ours limits us to 88mph which sucks at times. We get write ups after we get so many points.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
So basically everything you do and say will be recorded and it will be like a dashcam?
The DriveCam records the minute or so before and after an incident/the g-force limit is reached.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
So its basically a black box then.
The DriveCam records the minute or so before and after an incident/the g-force limit is reached.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
The service where I do ride alongs has drive cams on all their rigs. It is constantly monitoring but it wastes most of the data. Once the G-force limit is reached it goes back and ours is set to 15 seconds prior to the limit being reached is saved as well as 15 seconds after is saved. It is pretty much a black box and a toy but can also be useful. One of our medics witnessed a hit and run accident and was able to hit the button soon enough that they had the vehicle on the camera, guy got caught because of it. They can burn you since accidents always happen as soon as you bad mouth the boss so you should just not do that while at work and you'll be good to go.

If anyone here does get burned doing something stupid on the camera that the boss doesn't really need to see just remember they do have a limit on the amount they can store. Once the memory is full it discards the oldest files. You can figure it out from there.