Thoughts?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that. At least getting my next semester in Jan done with so I can get more credits and then see about maybe trying it out. I really just still thinking about it since my mind has really been swimming at the moment. I just really don't know but what you've given seems like pretty sound advice. I'll keep it in mind.
Also, something to keep in mind is if you ever get employed by the state or FEDS(NASA) They usually(90% of the time) offer continuing education opportunities. Meaning they pay for you to go back to school, some are only in an applicable field, but you can "play the game" if need be. NYS paid for me to go get my EMT cert, and actually gave me a pay-raise on top of free school. So if your not hellbent on becoming an EMT at this very minute in time, I'd wait, and let the gov't pay for your school, you have no obligations to any companies, they can't get cheap labor out of you ect. Just my .05 cents :)

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
Also, something to keep in mind is if you ever get employed by the state or FEDS(NASA) They usually(90% of the time) offer continuing education opportunities. Meaning they pay for you to go back to school, some are only in an applicable field, but you can "play the game" if need be. NYS paid for me to go get my EMT cert, and actually gave me a pay-raise on top of free school. So if your not hellbent on becoming an EMT at this very minute in time, I'd wait, and let the gov't pay for your school, you have no obligations to any companies, they can't get cheap labor out of you ect. Just my .05 cents :)

Yeah, I don't wanna pay another college for an EMT class but I also like the idea of becoming an EMT. Jesus Christ, I hope that doesn't sound so cringe when I say that, since people usually feel that's a sign of "glory hound" or "I wanna save everyone itis" lmao. I mean, I can see the reasoning for automatic working for the company but that the same time, I wish I had the chance to negotiate part time or something. So, it's like a real bit conflicting two sides to choose thing right now.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
In about two more years and a half. Maybe even three. I'm only one semester after this one to getting an Associate in Arts if I so wished to just because. People say something is better than nothing until you get your BS.
And become an astronaut for NASA. I joke sorta. I'm not sure. I've thought about going into Astronomy since I love space. I've also loved helping people at their worst and best so I used to have a goal of becoming an Emergency Physician, but the wake up call for me was realizing I was being way too ambitious and not realistic. Not everyone is cut to be a doctor, after all.

But EMS just really hits me deep for some reason. A friend of mine who I went to high school with is an EMT-B. He says it's hard and sometimes slow tedious work but he says if I'm up for it to go for it. And who knows? I might grow a little more in life doing it.

Sounds like you're interested in lots of things that are physics related. Maybe it makes sense to focus on getting that BS degree before taking a detour toward EMS. Better to be trying EMS with the degree in hand than getting stuck in EMS without a degree. That'll give you more options down the road. I've been through a similar situation with engineering.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
Sounds like you're interested in lots of things that are physics related. Maybe it makes sense to focus on getting that BS degree before taking a detour toward EMS. Better to be trying EMS with the degree in hand than getting stuck in EMS without a degree. That'll give you more options down the road. I've been through a similar situation with engineering.

True. It's either that or My other option I've decided is majoring in Psychology.