Thoughts?

David Park

Forum Probie
Okay, so I live close enough to a company called GoldCross Augusta and they offer EMT-B, AEMT, and Paramedic training classes. This would be better honestly for now than going to another college since I'm already in a college majoring for a BS in Physics. The classes are also almost at the start of my summer break, since it's in May, unless they change the month for it.

However, they require one to automatically work for them as soon as they've graduated from the EMT-B course and as much as I want to start as a Basic and work my way up to Paramedic, maybe specializing (a college close to mine has an Academy that offers specialization in certain fields), I'm not sure if it's the best option.

Currently I have a part time job along with college working a desk job in an office that specializes in Clinical Trials. I just...the job is nice but I've been thinking about the EMS field for a long while. What do y'all think? Should I hold off on it or maybe sign up the next May, knowing I'll lose my desk job after graduating as an EMT-B?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey David, I actually worked in a phase 1 clinical trial facility as an EMT and a paramedic. Does your company offer this? Mine was called "Covance." On that note, you will probably make more working in clinical trials at any level than you will working as an EMT for an ambulance company. Also, don't get to hung up on the college thing (for EMT anyway). An EMT class is not even a full course load for 1 semester. In fact, some programs can be completed in less than a month. Paramedic on the other hand, is another story. I would not recommend jumping into that until your done with your degree ( at least in my opinion).

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay, so I live close enough to a company called GoldCross Augusta and they offer EMT-B, AEMT, and Paramedic training classes. This would be better honestly for now than going to another college since I'm already in a college majoring for a BS in Physics. T

If you're able to do an undergraduate degree in physics, you can do EMT with ease. Might even be worthwhile to take it in the evenings or on a weekend - heck, a summer class would work too.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
Hey David, I actually worked in a phase 1 clinical trial facility as an EMT and a paramedic. Does your company offer this? Mine was called "Covance." On that note, you will probably make more working in clinical trials at any level than you will working as an EMT for an ambulance company. Also, don't get to hung up on the college thing (for EMT anyway). An EMT class is not even a full course load for 1 semester. In fact, some programs can be completed in less than a month. Paramedic on the other hand, is another story. I would not recommend jumping into that until your done with your degree ( at least in my opinion).

Thanks for the reply. I work part time and make usually around 300 or a little under every two weeks. I'm not sure what their rates would be at the GoldCross service since they would require full time. As for working as an EMT/Paramedic at the office? I'm not sure but I think they might. The office is part of the Augusta University Medical Center.

And yeah, 15 week course at 8 am to 5 pm two times a week. Doesn't seem so bad and I don't think I'll be going for EMT-Paramedic until after I get my bachelors, lol.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
If you're able to do an undergraduate degree in physics, you can do EMT with ease. Might even be worthwhile to take it in the evenings or on a weekend - heck, a summer class would work too.

Yeah, summer classes work best for me. I'm just worried how I'll fit in college with a full time EMT job, but I shouldn't underestimate myself I guess. And it's funny with the major I'm getting cause my average math scores were mostly middle B's and sometimes high C's.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, summer classes work best for me. I'm just worried how I'll fit in college with a full time EMT job, but I shouldn't underestimate myself I guess. And it's funny with the major I'm getting cause my average math scores were mostly middle B's and sometimes high C's.

Well, you can always work part-time, unless your financial situation dictates that you need a full-time job. Now, I would say this, depending on where you are, EMT pay may even be lower than your part-time job (on a wage per hour basis).

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
You are going to be having a lot of long long long days....

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
Well, you can always work part-time, unless your financial situation dictates that you need a full-time job. Now, I would say this, depending on where you are, EMT pay may even be lower than your part-time job (on a wage per hour basis).

Well, it's in Augusta, Georgia so I'd have to look it up. And I can't afford right now to live out from the house at least until I get my degree so I guess that helps a bit with expenses. Still paying for tuition myself though so thank god I can save up money to not take out a loan yet with the college I'm at.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
You are going to be having a lot of long long long days....

I know but I have a friend who was a Paramedic and still has their cert license who said that I should think before I do it. Which I agree. I never expected this to be easy and I...I don't know. I really wanna do this for some reason. At least I know it's not because of "glory" or "trauma junkie rush" reasons.

I know one friend who dropped out of EMT work after a few months cause "they weren't getting the recognition they deserved". I'm kinda too humble to wanna put myself into a spotlight anyways.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, it's in Augusta, Georgia so I'd have to look it up.

FWIW, Glassdoor says Gold Cross pays paramedics $12/hour, so I'd imagine (maybe) $9 to $10 for EMTs?

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
FWIW, Glassdoor says Gold Cross pays paramedics $12/hour, so I'd imagine (maybe) $9 to $10 for EMTs?

That's actually about the amount of pay I get at my current job.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
When do you expect to graduate with your BS in Physics? What are you planning to do then?

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
When do you expect to graduate with your BS in Physics? What are you planning to do then?

In about two more years and a half. Maybe even three. I'm only one semester after this one to getting an Associate in Arts if I so wished to just because. People say something is better than nothing until you get your BS.
And become an astronaut for NASA. I joke sorta. I'm not sure. I've thought about going into Astronomy since I love space. I've also loved helping people at their worst and best so I used to have a goal of becoming an Emergency Physician, but the wake up call for me was realizing I was being way too ambitious and not realistic. Not everyone is cut to be a doctor, after all.

But EMS just really hits me deep for some reason. A friend of mine who I went to high school with is an EMT-B. He says it's hard and sometimes slow tedious work but he says if I'm up for it to go for it. And who knows? I might grow a little more in life doing it.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
However, they require one to automatically work for them as soon as they've graduated from the EMT-B course and as much as I want to start as a Basic and work my way up to Paramedic, maybe specializing (a college close to mine has an Academy that offers specialization in certain fields), I'm not sure if it's the best option.

Is this a program where they provide the schooling and then require a commitment of a certain length? I'd be hesitant to tie myself to a company both for initial training and first work experience in the field.

It looks as though your local tech college has an EMT program. Have you looked into that? http://www.augustatech.edu/emt.html

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
In about two more years and a half. Maybe even three. I'm only one semester after this one to getting an Associate in Arts if I so wished to just because. People say something is better than nothing until you get your BS.
If you can get the credits to go without doing anything sure.. Don't put much time into it though. Just tough through college, maybe even try and take summer classes in college ect, push back EMT school a year, and try and get 2-3 summer classes done, to make your college credit load bearable(12-13 credits/semester) THEN you can juggle EMT'ing, with school because instead of 5-6 classes +labs, its 3-4 classes +labs.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief

Don't overestimate yourself either. B's and C's will not cut it if you eventually decide that you do want to go to medical school. If your grades are mediocre now, they'll be even worse if you try to squeeze a full-time job into your schedule. Many a premed has screwed themself over by biting off more than they could chew.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
Is this a program where they provide the schooling and then require a commitment of a certain length? I'd be hesitant to tie myself to a company both for initial training and first work experience in the field.

It looks as though your local tech college has an EMT program. Have you looked into that? http://www.augustatech.edu/emt.html

Yeah, that's why I'm pretty hesitant to tie myself to GoldCross Augusta even though my dad talked to the Captain, I think. So yeah, I'm on the edge about that. As for the Augusta Tech site, I've looked at it but I'll need to read it more thoroughly.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
If you can get the credits to go without doing anything sure.. Don't put much time into it though. Just tough through college, maybe even try and take summer classes in college ect, push back EMT school a year, and try and get 2-3 summer classes done, to make your college credit load bearable(12-13 credits/semester) THEN you can juggle EMT'ing, with school because instead of 5-6 classes +labs, its 3-4 classes +labs.

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that. At least getting my next semester in Jan done with so I can get more credits and then see about maybe trying it out. I really just still thinking about it since my mind has really been swimming at the moment. I just really don't know but what you've given seems like pretty sound advice. I'll keep it in mind.

The problem is that they just emailed me back (GoldCross) and told me that pending on results and who signs up, it'll be in Jan. Mostly online stuff and clinical. I think. I wish things could just be easier but that's life, really.

OP
OP
David Park

David Park

Forum Probie
Don't overestimate yourself either. B's and C's will not cut it if you eventually decide that you do want to go to medical school. If your grades are mediocre now, they'll be even worse if you try to squeeze a full-time job into your schedule. Many a premed has screwed themself over by biting off more than they could chew.

Oh, no. I'm not thinking about med school anymore. I kinda had a wake up call and really had to think about it if was the right choice for me. I really isn't, so I've dropped med school as any of my goals in life.