This Question Is A Result From Another Thread

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
And figured i'd start another thread because this really isn't relevant.

Lets say I was brought into the hospital after being in a car accident.

My ribs were broken, my R. Arm broken, broken jaw and broken eye sockets and concussion. But i'm now awake alert and oriented and I want all medical treatment stopped at once. I am 37 y/o and no family to talk me into staying in the hospital.

Is there any way the hospital could make me stay after demanding i be released?

(Obviously I made up the injuries and age.)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
And figured i'd start another thread because this really isn't relevant.

Lets say I was brought into the hospital after being in a car accident.

My ribs were broken, my R. Arm broken, broken jaw and broken eye sockets and concussion. But i'm now awake alert and oriented and I want all medical treatment stopped at once. I am 37 y/o and no family to talk me into staying in the hospital.

Is there any way the hospital could make me stay after demanding i be released?

(Obviously I made up the injuries and age.)

no the hospital must release you.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
wouldnt they want to check for brain injury and assume the patient is AMS??

I can't imagine any other reason why someone in that condition would want to leave.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
wouldnt they want to check for brain injury and assume the patient is AMS??

I can't imagine any other reason why someone in that condition would want to leave.

OP says patient is alert and oriented. If this is true, patient must be released.

Doctors would check for brain injury.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
If you are an adult who is conscious, alert, and oriented to person, place, time, and events and aware of your consequences, and can repeat them to your caregivers, then yes and no... sort of.

Yes, the hospital will have no choice but to stop the treatment. However, they should do their best to at least hold you for observation until the effects of the concussion are over. You could sign out A.M.A. and then you would be on your own. You see the "concussion" thing is where the ethicolegal issues tend to get a bit tricky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree, it is a very touchy issue a yes & no answer. There is litigation and medical ethical debates upon this very topic. In theory, hospitals and physicians would have extreme documentation that the patient/family is quite aware of all the risks, dangers, and complications that might occur and as well alternatives that could be explored.

Dependent upon the neurological evaluation if the patient is competent and sound mind as well, the patient would be released upon their own .

There have been legal issues where the patient was determined not to be able to make a "sound" decision, that their decision would mean the end of their life. Hospitals have received court injunction to prevent patients & families to be removed from the hospital.

Now, in reality, most facilities are so overwhelmed, that the moment a patient wants to refuse care and service and the patient is aware of the risks, their belongings are rapidly packaged, the physician is notified, and out the door they go! ... Sorry, there are 15 people who do want care...

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
we had a frequent flier who was flown out due to a large cerebral bleed and released to a nursing home after surgery and at least a week in the hospital. She signed herself out AMA and returned home to bother us some more.

It is perfectly legal to determine to die at home, slowly and painfully from something that can be cured.