This is an absolute disgrace

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
while I dont necessarily agree with walking off the job like that, i do understand where he is coming from. I did not read this story, but i have read many like it about this particular instance. he had informed his Captain approximately 45 minutes before dispatch that if his crew was requested he would not be responding. The captain informed him that he had no choice in that and he will go with them, at that point he told the captain he was sick and went home. remember all this happened BEFORE DISPATCH. while not right, the captain should have simply put them out of service untill relief was found.

his crew was SUPPORT ONLY, no patients where even left on scene. Yes he was on the MCI unit, which is why they where sent, the fact remains that NO PATIENTS REMAINED ON SCENE. I doubt anyone on this forum really knows what was said in the station but it most likely is not as simple as the media makes it out to be. however i think most people are missing the point that his crew was not even sent to treat anyone, they where rehab for the investigators, IE Gatorade and shade. nobody was put in jeopardy because of their delay.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Perhaps I am just old school.

Not responding to a call for any reason was absolutely unheard of. You could be injured from a previous call and you would drag yourself and do whatever you could manage.

Stop by the ED get patched up real quick and finish your shift unless you were incapacitated.

New world I guess.

I got there were no patients, I got it was a support unit. I do not accept his position.

Jeff Toorish

Forum Probie
Personally, I'm still holding off on forming an opinion. I think there may be more to this story than we've learned so far.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Personally, I'm still holding off on forming an opinion. I think there may be more to this story than we've learned so far.
Me too.

Given that this was NOT a first responder unit... I think there is more to be said.

Jeff Toorish

Forum Probie
Me too.

Given that this was NOT a first responder unit... I think there is more to be said.

When I read the initial report on this, it sounded as if there had been some political discussion among the responding team --and that is where the issue of some sort of conflict arose. Not that this responder differed with the politics of the Congresswoman, but that he had differences with members of his team.

Normally I would say, put that aside and answer the call. But as you mention, it was not first responder call. Also, of this guy felt that the team was somehow compromised because of internel conflict, the issue shades differently.

Again, I'm not drawing any conclusions here. Just offering my take on the story thus far.

Does anyone have have any data on how fire service members lean politically? I would guess more conservative --which is odd considering that many of them are unionized. Again, that may have been a factor in this.

Jeff

reaper

Working Bum
We will have to wait for the whole story.

That said, no matter what conflict arises at the station, they should have worked as a team. I don't care if he slept with the whole teams wives. Do the job and deal with it later.

You are here to do a job. If you cannot put aside feelings,politics or other problems and do your job. Then it is time to get out. Does not matter if they were first out or a clean up crew. They had a job to do and his BS delayed that job.

Sam Adams

Forum Lieutenant
I have political differences with people who own cats. I'm PAID to respond, and do.
I have political differences with people who drive under the influence. I'm PAID to respond when they crash and injure others and do.
I have political differences with drug dealers who wind up getting shot. I'm PAID to respond and do.

I could go on. It doesn't matter what stage in his career he was in. It doesn't matter if he was a first arriving unit or a support unit. He didn't respond. Instead he went home sick. Had this been something he felt that strongly about he would have made more of a stand about whatever it was he disagreed with by staying at the station.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Regardless of the reason...he refused a call.

he did not refuse the call, he went home before the call even came in. the captain failed in not putting the unit out of service when he left.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'm very confused. If there were no patients, why were they sending out first aid supplies?

provide relief to those that don't need medical care as part of the total mitigation of the event.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
he did not refuse the call, he went home before the call even came in. the captain failed in not putting the unit out of service when he left.

That changes the whole perspective of this, if it's what actually happened. Is there a report of this in the media I missed?

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
its in a few of the papers, what I have read in the papers and the press release is that when the shooting happened there was some joking at the station that he did not appreciate. being that the rehab trailer is at his station he figured that they would eventually be called to the scene. he took the captain aside and told him that he could not respond to the scene for personal reasons. when the captain told him that he could not pick his calls, he went home sick. this is what i got from a trusted source in phoenix FD

not that i agree with what he did, or if I would or would not do the same thing. I was not there and will not pass judgement because I guarantee there is more to this story than phoenix is letting out. yes he retired the next day, I would too if this :censored::censored::censored::censored: storm started and I only had 6 months left anyway.