Thinking of going back to old company......what to do?

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
Hello EMTLifers!

I've run into a recent dilemma that I could use some advice on. I won't say any names but I was working for an IFT company that I had a love/hate relationship with like any other company, but treated me very well for almost 2 years. In an attempt to step out of my comfort zone and further myself in EMS, I decided to leave that cushy, well paying, easy job for a 911 company. Turns out this new company isn't doing well financially, employee morale is low, and I don't feel like I'm learning anything because the area is so slow. Bottom line is that I'm not enjoying work the way I used to and I think I'm going insane! I'm thinking about going back to my old IFT company and holding out til I get offered a better 911 job. Any advice anyone can give me? How should I approach my former supervisors on getting my old job back?

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
Hello EMTLifers!

I've run into a recent dilemma that I could use some advice on. I won't say any names but I was working for an IFT company that I had a love/hate relationship with like any other company, but treated me very well for almost 2 years. In an attempt to step out of my comfort zone and further myself in EMS, I decided to leave that cushy, well paying, easy job for a 911 company. Turns out this new company isn't doing well financially, employee morale is low, and I don't feel like I'm learning anything because the area is so slow. Bottom line is that I'm not enjoying work the way I used to and I think I'm going insane! I'm thinking about going back to my old IFT company and holding out til I get offered a better 911 job. Any advice anyone can give me? How should I approach my former supervisors on getting my old job back?

How did you go about quitting your last job? Did you burn any bridges? Or was everything "Good luck DWemt28 with your new job!"? Are your old supervisors there that you might have a good or bad relationship with?

I did this recently. Best thing is to give them a call, or stop by the office and tell them the truth. Tell them you're looking at coming back because of X, Y, and Z reason. That's exactly what I did and it worked like a charm. Got my job back right away.

OP
OP
D

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
Yeah everything went super smooth when I left! I would think that they would totally want me back! I'm just nervous and afraid of anything awkward happening when I actually do the asking. I've never really been put in a position like this before.

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
Yeah everything went super smooth when I left! I would think that they would totally want me back! I'm just nervous and afraid of anything awkward happening when I actually do the asking. I've never really been put in a position like this before.

I think it depends on the company but the place I went back to management is super relaxed. When I walked in and sat down it was like chatting with a friend, super comfortable and easy going, I didn't feel awkward at all. I can't speak to your company but try to keep it professional, yet casual (if the company atmosphere allows for that). At most you're looking at, what a 30 minute max. conversation?

OP
OP
D

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
I want to make it as quick as possible! Lol. The sooner I find out that things are going to be okay the better. Thanks for the advice :D

technocardy

Forum Crew Member
If I was a supervisor or management and you brought in a coffee that'd definitely help... ^_^

But seriously, if you know they drink coffee or whatever it might help sweeten the deal if you bring one in.

And you are welcome! Good luck, hopefully everything works out! :D