They sent my license and now they want it back.

mgoodman07

Forum Ride Along
I tested for my EMT-I last weekend. I passed everything but my combitube which due to my state board is screwed up anyway because we were told that we would not be tested on it. Anyway I passed my written and everything else, and they sent me my results. I am now an EMT-I, but they want it back. Because they say that I still failed my combitube. Should I appeal their decision and fight to keep my license? This error was due on their part and I am not the only one who this has been done to. Any advice?

OP
OP
M

mgoodman07

Forum Ride Along
Nope it was I85
Some of the guys I know who are also in the field said I should consider an appeal. But I don't know. I'm more of the mind just to retest and leave the fighting to someone a little more angry than myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

cde61969

Forum Ride Along
I would try the appeal process, stating your case in regards to the state you are practicing in.

I-85 though still requires a dual lumen device station. If you weren't trained by your program, they have done you an injustice

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife! Is it really worth your time and effort fighting it? I would think your efforts, time, and money would be better spent studying for the retest and passing it.

Your actual license means nothing if you're not really licensed. Depending on the paperwork and documents you signed, you may even be required to pay for their legal fees in order to take back your license if you don't give it back. Just some food for thought.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope it was I85
Some of the guys I know who are also in the field said I should consider an appeal. But I don't know. I'm more of the mind just to retest and leave the fighting to someone a little more angry than myself.

I-85 is a NREMT test. I should know- I am a NREMT-I '85 (tho the state I trained in has us do MUCH more, closer to 99).

You might see about an appeals process, but it might take longer than just retaking the combitube part. I had to take Advanced Patient Assessment twice as the first time I took it the proctor was basically sleeping and missed things I said. I appealed and ultimately lost, so I studied and retook it and passed easily.

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
You should have learned combi-tube in your basic class. Testing for this part of it should have been easy. Combi-tube is a basic intervention for when intubation fails or when your scope of practice does not allow you to intubate. If you failed combi-tube then you are not qualified to be an Intermediate. I would ask to retest the station and if they don't let you, then you should retake the entire test.