There's a what in your what?

reaper

Working Bum
Just smack them really hard on the opposite side! The bug will fly right out!!!!!!!!

MRE

Forum Captain
Just smack them really hard on the opposite side! The bug will fly right out!!!!!!!!

If that doesn't work, how about applying a FROPVT to the opposite ear. 40lpm should blast that bugger out, and maybe some other stuff they don't need too.:wacko:

sixmaybemore

Forum Crew Member
When I was a child, I ended up having a tick in my ear. Now I am totally freaked out and will be sleeping with ear muffs on for the rest of my life. :)

Speak not of the horrid little beastie called the tick.

And great, now I have all sorts of things to be paranoid about next time we go camping! Between my spider bite, our tick experience this year, and now your tick story, I think I'll just swath us all in netting and call it good.

MRE

Forum Captain
If that doesn't work, how about applying a FROPVT to the opposite ear. 40lpm should blast that bugger out, and maybe some other stuff they don't need too.:wacko:

Oops, that should be FROPVD. Not to hyjack the thread, but does anyone use these on their ambulance anymore?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Remember cold fluids introduced into the ear can cause dizziness and vertigo, n&v

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
Wow, that is really weird. Goes to show that the 'gut feeling' we get is really accurate, and should be followed.

As to the using NSS to get the bug out, would that be considered a controlled medical act? In our Regulated Health Professions Act, one of the listed controlled medical acts is "putting an instrument, hand, or finger beyond the external ear canal". If the saline is being dripped in, it's technically not an instrument...
I'm curious now about pre-hospital treatment, there's definately nothing in protocol for this sort of call :p

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
My ex girl friend sat up one evening in bed at the wrong time and had a small bee (native stingless - thank god) fly straight on in. Panic ensues, she grabs a cotton bud to kill it, and manages to jam it right in against the ear drum. Off to the local ED, where Doc, Nurse and I tried to:

1. Wash it clear with saline (drowned it);
2. Float it out with baby oil (softened it);
3. Using a scope and forceps, remove it (in parts!)

Took about 20 minutes to get everything out and flush the ear clean, but we got there in the end.

Interesting evening though, we shared the waiting room with a psych pt, domr lady with private health insurance and a head ache (we have both private and government funded health care in aussie land), and a bikie gang member dragged in with 'unexplained abdo pain' following an 'abdominal interaction with a sharp metallic thing'.

This topic actually reminded me of a phrase I used to tell new recruits in the army on their first night out in field training - "in your sleep in your life you will eat xx amount of spiders, xx amount of cockroaches and at least one mouse. enjoy your sleep!"