There is nothing more irritating than incompetent nurses...

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds to me like:

Rather than educate people to the proper use of oxygen and physicians not writing protocols for high flow oxygen on patients that would not benefit, ambulance operators are expected to pay more for a gadget to try and make up for poor training and medical direction.

I can't see why anyone would pay for this.
Sorry, even though I agree I couldn't help but laugh a bit when I read that.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
I can't see why anyone would pay for this.

This has become the standard of care here for specific cases.

Just curious Veneficus, you see no benefits by utilizing EtCo2 monitoring pre-hospital? Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
They're actually about $35 apiece, and can quickly become their own line item considering a normal NC is around a dollar.
Part of being a profession is being accurate and clear when speaking in public, even on small issues, and making sure that the information given is correct.

A disposable sidestream ETCO2 detector (which is what is most commonly used in both ground and air units and not uncommon to see in-hospital) is about $13 dollars give or take, for the cannual type, and even less for a t-piece for ET tubes.

A replacement for a mainstream ETCO2 detector is higher, but luckily they are reusable.

You must be getting ripped off by your supplier...I guess...

8jimi8

CFRN
Another thing about being clear.

Do not use abbreviations. I guarantee this is why the nurse didn't understand you.

I didnt. I'm still wondering if you mean adult or acute pulmonary edema.

Trying being clear an professional before you start bashing other professionals.

Try explaining why you did something and maybe someone will learn from you

rather than writing you off as a high and mighty jerk. Keep in mind in the

hospital we have more than one patient and more than one set of problems we

are thinking about, while you are off running your mouth.

The proper professional report goes something like: demographics, history and home meds, presentation and chief complaint, then vitals and interventions. Clear communication.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Another thing about being clear.

Do not use abbreviations. I guarantee this is why the nurse didn't understand you.

I didnt. I'm still wondering if you mean adult or acute pulmonary edema.

Trying being clear an professional before you start bashing other professionals.

Try explaining why you did something and maybe someone will learn from you

rather than writing you off as a high and mighty jerk. Keep in mind in the

hospital we have more than one patient and more than one set of problems we

are thinking about, while you are off running your mouth.

The proper professional report goes something like: demographics, history and home meds, presentation and chief complaint, then vitals and interventions. Clear communication.

I read this as a haiku.

8jimi8

CFRN

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
They're actually about $35 apiece, and can quickly become their own line item considering a normal NC is around a dollar.

A quick google found the etCO2 NCs for five a piece. When I was first shown them by a local FD's ALS coordinator he said they were getting them for seven and that the majority of patients getting 02 would also be getting etCO2 monitoring.