Theoretical question.

brassguy

Forum Crew Member
Let's say you are on vacation in another state and someone needs medical assistance (Asthma) and they have an MDI, you offer to help them, would you call your Medical Director in your state or someone else? Just a question I have always had!!

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
That would depend on if the state you are in will honer your card. Some states will grant reciprocity if you are called across state lines for an emergency. If you are just visiting could be a gray area or they could not recognize your certification at all. I am forced to be certified in WV and Ohio as I function in both states.

If you do decide to treat someone you may or may not be covered by good Samaritan laws.

To treat someone or not treat someone in this situation is a moral issue and is not a cut and dry thing as the laws and some would like you to think.

What I suggest is, if you do decide to treat someone in that situation is to follow your protocols as this will protect you some what.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If I am out of state (usually) I will not be a licensed provider, therefore I am no more than a "common citizen". One should be calling 911 instead of their medical director, since it would be doubtful they would be authorized to give any orders in that state as well.

I would assist since there is really nothing to it, the medication was prescribed by a practitioner for a specific indication, usage, etc., all one is doing is assisting (?) in administering the medication. Actually, I don't know how one could assist in MDI other than holding the device or assembling it, similar to NTG, how hard is to assist? This is the reason most states recognize basics to be able to "assist" in certain patient medications.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Several states across the U.S. also let unlicensed personnel, such as nursing assistants or home health assistants, to assist and help people with their medicines. Assisting is not giving medicines. Assisting is simply helping the person to take their own medicines.

As long as the person is conscious and able to express need of assistance, then it would be appropriate. If the person has any signs of altered mental status or level of conscious, you best way to go would be supportive until EMS arrives. I would also check the medication label to ensure it belongs to the patient. I have found many "borrowed" and/or expired inhalers in my patients med cases. I would not administer an OTC inhaler such as Primatene Mist.

The rescue MDI if used with an aerochamber (spacer) can actually provide some relief to even an unconscious patient if they are still breathing. I always try to teach all close family members of a brittle asthmatic the appropriate us of an MDI in the event of an emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luno

OG
Premium Member
You don't, if the person is going to die, immediately, well, search your heart and take your chances, but rule of thumb, be prepared to lose everything you've ever worked for if it goes wrong....

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
if im out of state, then im more than likely on vacation. when im on vacation, or off the clock, i consider myself an average citizen, especially when even slightly intoxicated. the best your getting out of me under those circs is a drunk dial to 911 and a stare of life.

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
Technically, even as a SFA-trained citizen (if they don't recognise your certifications in that state) you are allowed to assist in giving medication at the prescribed dose and with consent of the patient. You cannot administer the medication, but if they are having trouble taking it, you are allowed to assist.
If more than assistance is required though, and the person's life is at stake, I'd say take the risk and deal with any legal technicalities later (though there probably won't be any if you followed protocol and acted in good faith).

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Technically, even as a SFA-trained citizen (if they don't recognise your certifications in that state) you are allowed to assist in giving medication at the prescribed dose and with consent of the patient. You cannot administer the medication, but if they are having trouble taking it, you are allowed to assist.
If more than assistance is required though, and the person's life is at stake, I'd say take the risk and deal with any legal technicalities later (though there probably won't be any if you followed protocol and acted in good faith).

What is an SFA? Then what protocols? Sorry, I don't have any protocols for off duty, neither does most others, unless that EMS wants to cover for litigation later.

R/r 911

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
What is an SFA? Then what protocols? Sorry, I don't have any protocols for off duty, neither does most others, unless that EMS wants to cover for litigation later.

R/r 911

SFA if I am not wrong is like a first responder in Canada. Is like having an AHA or red cross first aide card with a kick. More or less same as National Registry First Responder.

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant

R/r 911
Sorry about that, I guess SFA isn't as global a certification as I thought. SFA is Standard First Aid (and usually accompanied with Level C CPR). And by protocols, I meant that if you treat the patient the same way you normally do where you typically work, there shouldn't be any problems.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thank you, I assumed it was probably was some form of First Aid, but given the number of EMT acronyms, one can never really be sure.

R/r 911

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
If I come across someone needing help in a state where I am licensed or not license, I first call 911. I will assist them using only BLS. Last thing I would want to do it start an ALS intervention only to have a BLS ambulance respond. It is illegal for me to provide an ALS response when not on duty and in the ambulance, anyhow. Nor do I have ALS equipment on me. Come to think of it, I wonder where my steth and BP cuff is....

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm currently a licensed EMT in Michigan, but I don't want to transfer my license to my new state because I don't want to have to deal with meeting both states re-licensure requirements. I'm not actively work as an EMT.

It depends. I may offer assistance on the BLS level. I'm certified in CPR/BLS/First Aid by the AHA. I'd hope they'd cover me.

Edit: I once helped out with an MI while at 30,000 feet. I did all of the BLS/First Aid stuff while a nurse (RN) took care of everything beyond that. Nitro wasn't part of the First Aid cert, so the nurse administered it.