The worst smell you have ever experienced

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Well this was back when I was surveying, we were doing a topographic survey on a make-up factory and need to climb down into the sewers to get inverts on the pipes leading in and out. It is never pleasant to have to go down in the sewers for obvious reasons. but it turns out this place was dumping chemical into the sewers as well. Well we pull the manhole cover off and immediately get hit with these fumes. we both threw up and refused to continue the day because we were so nauseous. There was this pink fluid with "floaters" going by in the sewer. Anyways we refused to get the measurements siting health and safety reasons. I cannot describe the odour it was so strong it made your eyes water and stomach turn. I find it hard to believe it was legal for them to be dumping chemicals like that but never looked into it.

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
A morbidly obese man who had been decomposing for 3 or 4 days in a 20 X 20 apartment (on the third floor, nonetheless) in the summer, was bloated from all the trapped gas, no AC running...when we moved him, a rush of fluid came from his groin area that still has to be, in my opinion, the most putrid smell I have ever experienced. We had to leave the room and ask the fire dept. if we could borrow some SCBA equipment to wear while we placed him in a body bag and dragged him out. Thankfully, the fire dept. obliged (with snickers and laughter).

I would have made the firies do the recovery as rescue lol. The single worst smell I have ever smelt has to be what my 8 month old boy leaves in his nappy (diaper) as a present for us on a warm day. I can handle most other smells.

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Way back when

I first got on the squad. I believe it was July (or August) we got a page for well being check. Would guess that it was bout 115 with heat index. The neighbors of this elderly lady hadn't seen or heard from her in bout a week. (This was in the country) Anyway they called us. Off we rode. Come up on a trailer. No windows open ANYWHERE. So checked the door. Locked. PD ended up kicking down door. When finally the door swung open the smell hit you like a back of bricks. Once the fog of stench cleared we found out why no one has heard from this lady. She was dead. After the smell you were able to focus on the sights. Old lady, buck *** naked on the floor. Little bit more info on this particular lady. She has forever been known as "crazy cat lady" Along with this lady was like 30some cats. She didn't feed them dry food either. It was all in cans. So tell me,, what happens when cats can't get into their food? Thats right my friends, they had on heck of a fiest. Some on also discovered a bedroom in the back of this trailer and in that room there was a pile of about 20 other dead cats. That was a bad night. Fortunately I can no longer "remember" this smell. THANK GOD!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
Along with this lady was like 30some cats. She didn't feed them dry food either. It was all in cans. So tell me,, what happens when cats can't get into their food? Thats right my friends, they had on heck of a fiest. Some on also discovered a bedroom in the back of this trailer and in that room there was a pile of about 20 other dead cats. That was a bad night. Fortunately I can no longer "remember" this smell. THANK GOD!!!!

Eh. I can think of worse things to happen after I'm dead than my corpse feeding my pets. It's not like I'm going to need it any more... somebody might as well get some use from it. :) Too bad about the other cats, though.

MidniteMedic

Forum Probie
One of the worst I have ever delt with is a floater X 2 meaning this was the second time they come up and have them deflate. before you have the bodybag closed. I have delt with plane crashes that have not been found/ got to for a couple of days in the summer and floaters that come up for the second time win, hands down. I'll take week old bodies with out A/C over that.

E.M.T.Loza

Forum Ride Along
Im working as an assistant at the pathology department in a veterinary teaching hospital, the worst smell is our out going cooler after all the animals have gone through a necropsy, imagine a giant cooler the 30x30' full of dead horses, cows, dogs, fish, any animal you could imagine all decapitated and opened up . smells even better when people forget to close the cooler door.:wacko:

captainbeatty

Forum Probie
I worst I can recall is a man in a nursing home who had severe leg infections. His room smelled like a used diaper x10. The great thing is, after 6 weeks at wound care, he was able to get out of bed, and was told he could start therepy to walk soon. I left the service that was transporting him, so I don't know the complete outcome, but I wish him well.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
The worst EVER was the floater autopsy I watched in P-school. RANCID. I couldn't eat meat products for a week afterwards, it all tasted like rotten dead body. I am so thankful that we don't bag up the bodies where I work.

The worst ever in the field was the call I had for a fall of two patients. Knew it was gonna be bad when we saw PD standing outside, laughing, "You ready for this?" as we approached the door.

70 y/o male sick for a week in bed in a room nearly inaccessable with heaps of clutter. I counted six overflowing cat litterboxes and one very unhappy looking cat on the bed. The patient had been using a bucket for a bedside commode for a week and had been suffering with diarreah. Pt tripped on a stack of clutter looking for a DVD and fell, taking out the diarreah bucket with him. Pt was unable to get up amongst the clutter and was covered from head to toe in watery feces. Pt's 95 y/o father came to try to get his son off the floor and met the same fate when he slipped on the mess. Both pt's were covered in diarreah and were unable to get up.

The smell was disturbingly reminscent of Kraft white cheddar macaroni & cheese. This is one of three times in my nearly 8 years on the street where I have actually gagged. I've never actually vomited, but this was probably the closest I have ever come.