The scoop on Bandages

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
I was looking at a BLS Jump bag on line and its contents. Part of the the contest list was:

2 Kerlix (4-1/2")
2 Gauze Rolls (3" NS)
20 Sterile Dressings (4" x 4")

What is the difference between "Kerlix" bandages and the Gauze Rolls? Is it simply that the Kerlix bandages are sterile?

1 Petroleum Gauze (3" x 9")
Would you only use this on a SCW?

Sorry if my questions seem stupid. I'm starting to realize how much my EMT class skimmed a lot of important things and basically just taught us to memorize the practical list and pass the written. The more I learn ... the more I realize I don't know.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Kerlix vs Gauze rolls.. I'm assuming that sterility and size are different.

as for an occlusive dressing (AKA Petroleum Gauze) is taught here to be used on any wounds on the chest of upper back that penetrate

Hastings

Noobie

as for an occlusive dressing (AKA Petroleum Gauze) is taught here to be used on any wounds on the chest of upper back that penetrate

We don't use it. I hear it's good for penis circumcisions though.

Most commonly used for sucking chest wounds though, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

abriggs

Forum Crew Member

So, it wraps around the whole body?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
OP
OP
micsaver

micsaver

Forum Crew Member
We don't use it. I hear it's good for penis circumcisions though.

So why don't you use it, and why would it be good for circumcisions as opposed to general gauze? Or did I just fall into a joke that went right over my head? :glare:

Hastings

Noobie
The three injuries I've been taught to treat with an Occlusive dressing are sucking chest wounds, tension pneumothorax, and abdominal eviscerations.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OK. It's fun to pass on the little things.

Kerlix brand is an ELASTIC cotton only gauze bandage which will adhere to itself a little. A plain gauze "roller" is inelastic gauze and much cheaper. Either can be ordered in bulk or indiv. sterile. The standard for kits is the individual sterile. (Me, I like MediRip or related elastic non-gauze bandage witch REALLY sticks to itself and does NOT need scissors).
Vaseline gauze....open, use sterile inner aspect of wrapper to occlude sucking chest wounds. Light vaseline gauze on fire as a firestarter. OK some folks use them as dressings for burns long after the debridement etc has started. Like Xeroform, except that is muslin with brominated vaseline on it (hence the yellow color, like the brominated vegetable oil in Mt Dew).
Occlusive dressing on evisc? Hmmm...I wa tauight sterile normal saline bulk dressing with dry overdressing. Been a while. GOing to go into shock either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Code 3

Forum Captain
Hmmm...I wa tauight sterile normal saline bulk dressing with dry overdressing. Been a while. GOing to go into shock either way.

Abdominal eviseracerations are treated with moist sterile dressings like you mentioned with an occlusive dressing on top to cover it. But it's all depending on local protocol so the dry overdressing is probably correct as well.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay, we we go again. Did we not have lab sessions during the basic EMT course demonstrating Kerlix & Kling, Abd pads, triangular bandages, xeroform/Vaseline, Coban dsgs?

I wonder what type of programs and practice sessions occurred (if any)?

R/r 911

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In our practice labs we used Coban, Kerlix, Oclussives, ABDs/4x4/2x2, Trauma dressings, burn sheets, and triangular

I've never used regular gauze rolls though

Sasha

Forum Chief
Okay, we we go again. Did we not have lab sessions during the basic EMT course demonstrating Kerlix & Kling, Abd pads, triangular bandages, xeroform/Vaseline, Coban dsgs?

I wonder what type of programs and practice sessions occurred (if any)?

R/r 911

We were allowed to look at it, but not allowed to open and use it in my class :sad: (Except gauze, we were allowed to use the gauze and 4x4s)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We were allowed to look at it, but not allowed to open and use it in my class :sad: (Except gauze, we were allowed to use the gauze and 4x4s)

That's kinda retarded... How are you supposed to become proficient in using it if not allowed to practice?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Wow!.. What a crappy class and institution that is so tight not to allow their students to learn. Sorry your class was like that, unfortunately it appears to be dong more and more that way and we wonder why EMT's come out knowing nothing?

R/r911

reaper

Working Bum
That is why we make sure all expired drugs and supplies go to the local schools. I hate to see a class where they pick up a box and say "I'm giving Epi". I like them to be able to tear it open,put it together and push it through a drip set. This makes sure they know how to do it correctly.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
Wow, I thought my school had it tough dumpster diving to snag the mannikens that the nursing program threw away.

We let them play with all that stuff (except vaseline gauze, I've never seen the stuff. We just rip of the wrapper from a gauze roll or something and use that for an occlusive dressing.) When things get ratty, usually some fire service is getting rid of something and hooks us up. Like our MAST trousers...another lab assistant saw his service toss theirs and snagged them out of the trash for the program. The stupid things always show up as a random on the State/National practical.

Man, do we go through miles of tape. And for some reason the triangular bandages get torn up fast.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That is why we make sure all expired drugs and supplies go to the local schools. I hate to see a class where they pick up a box and say "I'm giving Epi". I like them to be able to tear it open,put it together and push it through a drip set. This makes sure they know how to do it correctly.

Our drugs were at least five years old and we still arent allowed to play with them :( Im starting to get real jealous.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Expired drugs?

Hey, I'm your friend and brother, cousin, and all that, but how would we feel if we sent expired drugs to a class and the inevitable happens:
a. someone steals some, recreational or not.
b. someone accidentally gets some on board during training.

Not to mention it is virtually certainly illegal. How about refilling containers with colored water and marking them training solution or some such?

Back to dressings...seeing how dressings work over time is useful. Most doctors are clueless, and field people can be also because once its on, they don't see the aftermath. One of my soapboxes for new folks is the psychology of dressings, which is to clean and cover it up immediately ("hide it"), when the goal should be to assess then stop the bleeding and allow optimal treatment of any other injuries. An ABD covers a lot of "Ew, blood" but also soaks a lot of blood away from the wound where it ought to be clotting instead of in that Kotex, unless you drop a gauze in between. (Nam vets stop nodding and snickering you're showing your age).
And when I see Telfa in a first aid kit I rip it out and replace it with my Adaptic. And some 4X4's.

And as for unitized products...anyone find any good civilian ones? The mil ones seem better but are not real good either; however, the goal being to fit a lot into a little space for not much money, they met their mission.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
And when I see Telfa in a first aid kit I rip it out and replace it with my Adaptic. And some 4X4's.

This is funny! I just agreed to teach a first aid class to the local high school Voc/tech kids. My condition was, I get to go through your first aid kit while I'm there and when I'm done with the class, I'll give you a shopping list of things to go into your first aid kit and you have to put it all in there.