The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
Hello, as you can tell by my name I work as a Paramedic for FDNY. Been with EMS since 1992. Mostly worked Harlem and the Bronx most of my career. Besides being a medic I'm also trained as a haz-mat tech and rescue tech. I'm on a specialized unit that not only responds to ALS calls but also haz-mat, confined rescue and high angle rescue. All this training by FDNY was free and they pay me more for doing it.;) I love EMS and if any of you have any questions about EMS in the big apple just ask.

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Guess I'm next in line! :ph34r:

I'm Rachel! I start EMT-B training on Tuesday. After two years in College, switching majors and all that jazz I decided I wanted to go into EMS. Here I am! I just turned 21, and I live in Columbia, SC.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome FDNYRescueMedic and welcome LilRay to EMTLife.

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
I just realized I didn't introduce my self...:ph34r:

I'm Chris, I am a police service aide with NM State Rangers and in school to be a paramedic (currently emt-b student). I live in a small village outside Albuquerque and fly a hot air balloon as a hobby. My overall goal is to become a federal LEO, most likely ICE or Secret Service. Wanna know more PM me :D

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
A reintroduction was thinking of attending a class few years back, but opted not to with college. Name is Doug, 23 year old male. I am graduating college this fall. I signed up for my first EMS class, which is an Emergency Medical Responder course. It is the very basic, but I have to start somewhere. Seems a lot of information has familiarities from CPR and First Aid class, but always good for a refresher. Have been learning information I have not heard before; especially in regards to working with the stretchers. That is my favorite part of the course right now. I also sent my application in for the local volunteer ambulance service waiting for a response. One thing is reading about what it is like or what you are going to learn is different from experience it. Hopefully can pass the class and continue on to the EMT Bridge class next year. See where we go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmtNinja

Forum Ride Along
new!

hi guys! I'm about to start school for EMT Basic, on Tuesday and I'm very excited!!! I look forward to getting to know people on here, and for my training to start! B) :ph34r:

dhaage

Forum Crew Member
So just realized I have been a member or this forum for almost 2 years now, always just lurking, haven't introduced myself yet, better late then never I guess. My names Donald, I have had my EMT-B License for 6 years now. I have worked as a volunteer on the local BLS rig since I have had my license. Recently took a job at a factory and it definitely cut into my time on the rig, so I have decided that I want really want to make a career of it, pay cut and all, so I have applied for a paid position. Spending time away just made me realize how much I enjoy doing it.

DezertRanger-EMT

Forum Probie
I'm Brandon I'm out of Bakersfield, i have had my EMT-B cert for a little over a year, i am looking to get my license but i have just been distracted with going to work and school full time but i will get it eventually. I want to be a flight nurse in SLO County, i will be doing the LVN to RN program and for the LVN i haft to take the NA class so after i am don with that i will be looking for a hospital job to get more experience.

Campanella

Forum Ride Along
New at this

:sad::sad::sad::sad:I am presently taking the EMT-B course in the state of New Jersey. The Jersey Shore to be exact.
I always wanted to do this but I was to busy working trying to pay the bill and could not take off work to do the classes. Now I am retired and trying to do all the things I wanted to do except the brain does not work as well as it use to. I always got 100's on all my test but there is something going wrong for me with these EMT test. There seems to be a lot of bad question with a lot of very bad answers for the questions. I wonder each week if this is going to be the week I get bounced. :sad:

Indy

Forum Crew Member
I always got 100's on all my test but there is something going wrong for me with these EMT test. There seems to be a lot of bad question with a lot of very bad answers for the questions. I wonder each week if this is going to be the week I get bounced. :sad:

Hey, work through it bud. It's tough for some, easy for others. As you stated you are having difficulties with tests. Don't stress over them. Get a good night's sleep, (don't study late into the night), eat a nice breakfast and have some coffee to get yourself rejuvenated. From personal test taking experience, don't study for a test the morning of. Relax the morning of your test, prepare yourself for the day and most of all, as mentioned before, don't stress out! You can do this!

JMG

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm just starting out, hoping to get my EMT-B certification. I'm not really interested in the medical field as a full time job, I'm actually a first year physics student in college and I thought being an EMT would be a good part time job.
I hear EMT-Bs don't make much money, but to me, it's more about being able to help people and receiving the training, so I'll know what to do just in case. Anyways, it's good to be here. ^_^

Putrid Existence

Forum Probie
Hey all, new here. I'm just gonna lay it all out there. So my name is Brandon, I'm 23, from Southern California. I've always been really interested in medicine, especially anatomy. I hope to become a forensic pathologist someday, but as for now, the EMT/Paramedic field is very interesting to me. I've been going to community college for about 4 years, with no direction in what I really wanted to do. Eventually I came to the conclusion that being an EMT would be perfect for me. I don't know anyone that is an EMT, and all I know of the job is what books I've read (non-fiction). To all the people that ARE EMTs, is there anything I should know before diving head first into EMT-B classes in the Spring (2011)?

RUGBY66X

Forum Probie
Hey just came across this site and im on forums for everything else so why not this one...anyways Im 21 from michigan and ive had my basic license for about 6 months and am still looking for a job. In the meantime im also about a quarter of the way through the medic program at michigan academy. This started off as a way to spend time while on the waitlist for the nursing program(another year and half left before that starts) and i ended up liking it so here I am working as a cook because no-one is hiring and being a student hopefully some of you can entertain me on here when get bored.

Harvey

Forum Lieutenant
Newb

Hi all,
I just recieved my Honorable discharge from the U.S. Marine Corps. so I'm back in texas. joined the local VFD. I am registering for the EMT-B course at the local college. My goal is to become a Paramedic, Experiance so far is CPR certified, and I was Combat Lifesaver, but that dosent really mean much in the civilian world.

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone--

I'm probably one of the young ones around here--I graduated high school this year and I'm now a freshman in college. I took all my EMT stuff over the summer, and I'm now looking for a job, which is proving difficult since the city's entire EMS system is crashing and burning.

Let's see. Future aspirations. I'm currently doing all my general ed before attempting to get into nursing school. I plan to get my RN, then challenge the paramedic exam and work as a paramedic. And I know this is probably heresy around here, but I may need to throw the fire stuff in there as well.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

BSI

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys. I am an EMT / paramedic student with little to no life outside EMS. I have been an EMT for about a year, been in medic school for 3 months (9 to go). I have no life outside of EMS, but I enjoy it. I currently work on a critical care transport car in the Chicago suburban area. I plan on continuing my education, and I want to be proactive in the changing EMS community. I would also like to eventually move into EMS research and education.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Well, Since everyone else here is laying it on the line, I guess I shall too.
My name is Andrew, I am a Tennessee Licensed EMT-IV, currently working towards a bachelor's degree in Emergency Management (and from there a Master's). I am a volunteer firefighter in addition to working for Cumberland County EMS, and I have several other jobs as well. You could say that I am truly overworked, but who isn't in today's economy. I've been involved in the Emergency Services (to include fire, SAR, EMS and a few other things I've done) for about ten years total now.

medicb

Forum Probie
Hey everyone, I have been an EMT for a couple of months now and a MFR for a year or so before that. I dont have a ton of field experience. I am looking finding a part time job in EMS. I am also looking at enrolling in a Paramedic program in the future.

I joined the forum hoping to ask questions and learn.

-
Brandon

Fallout

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone...

I got my EMT-B certification in May 2010, and I am just now starting with a company in Eastern MA. It took me a while to find a place that was hiring new EMT-B's with zero experience, but eventually places started calling me back. So... I joined the forum to keep in touch with other EMT's and to keep informed. Thats about all I can think of to post at the moment. Oh, I start my orientation next week and I am really looking forward to learning more, and actually getting to do what I learned in class.

Peace... :)