The Horror of Growing Old

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
An 82-year-old Florida nursing home resident who had maggots in one of his eyes has died, Local6.com reported.

In addition to the maggots, Anthony Digiannurio, of Deltona, Fla., was found with an infected breathing tube, a partially inserted catheter and bed sores when he was taken to Florida Hospital DeLand from the University Center West nursing home in November, according to the report.

Source

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Why am I NOT surprised and appalled at the same time?

Because Volusia County FL was where I started paid ambulance in 1974 -- that's 34 freaking years ago! -- and the Nursing Homes were like that then.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Great read

firetender, I throughly enjoyed reading your work. Keep us posted when you finish more chapters.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I think its funny when the press and others describe the horrible maggots. Thank Goodness for the maggots, or he would had died earlier. Maggots only eat necrosed tissue (not live) and probably kept the infection down.

Many hospitals are using maggot therapy again, its cheap, clean and works great...

In reference to the NH, shut them down, fine them and sue them.

R/r 911

Megz7464

Forum Probie
there def needs to be more health checks and make sure things are taking care of more in nursing homes...there are just getting rediculous nowadays....its horrible..-_-

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I read something about a stay in a 5star hotel being better money spent than a nursing home. Better service for the price.