The Hardest Part of Going Back to School?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I graduated with a BA in the Humanities in 2005 and planned to attend graduate school in 2007.

I bought the study guides, made the flash cards, but always came up with countless reasons as to why I couldn't do it. I wasn't sure I was smart enough, that I remembered enough content from my undergrad studies, and the application process was a pain. Application, testing, requesting transcripts from half a dozen schools, and the possibility of being rejected.

I finally did it, completed the degree in a year and a half, and was surprisingly successful. At times I was overwhelmed, lost, and frustrated, but it has been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life.

What kept or keeps you from taking the next step?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The time commitment, especially now that I've got a family. I know it's done all the time, but I still tend to fall back on that excuse.

ricardoj

Forum Probie
Money. I really want to start a masters program, but I'm still in a fair amount of debt from my two bachelors. The last thing I want to do is take another loan out, so once those are paid off I'll be able to pay for the graduate classes out of pocket. It's mind blowing how expensive higher education is...

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I completed my paramedic certificate/diploma in 2006 and did not return to school until 2012, I just graduated with a bachelors at 32 years old and am applying to graduate school this week. I think the hardest part for me so far was going back as an adult. If you have been out of school for over 6 years and on top of that never attended university, it can be quite intimidating. Luckily, I swallowed my pride and met some cool people on campus who helped me integrate into it. However, the hardest part was just doing it... as you said procrastination was the biggest thing to overcome when fueled by fears of failure, and immense intimidation. I am glad despite being in my 30's, I have no kids and am flexible. For many I think the cost of higher education and time with their family may be major challenges for adult learners.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Money and not knowing what to pursue. I will be a texas resident in the fall, so it will get a lot cheaper.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess for me personally, is the time. I have 5 days off every week and I dont truly want to give it back up for school. But I do know I will have too :(